New user Litchi ?

Reaction score
Hello guys I received a p3s for Christmas and realized what I fun I have been missing. I've been practicing flying and reading many topics on this forum which has been extremely helpful. I was thinking of getting the Litchi app as it looks very interesting but had a question I couldn't figure out from reading. Do you have to stay within your RC range at all times or do the gps coordinate from the waypoints store in the phantom? It seems it would be easy to get too far away and lose signal and would it then go into RTH?

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

They store.

If you set the waypoints and create a mission in the Litchi app it will program the drone to carry out that mission regardless of your signal. This obviously takes balls to give up control of your drone like this! But it does work from what I've read. I haven't tried it yet myself. There's a video on YouTube called follow the leader or Baltimore drone follow the leader. Those guys used Litchi to run their drones over 7.5 miles!

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Yes that's our own Dirty Bird. Note the flashing white tail lights when the control signal is lost. And yet the Phantoms keep going ...

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

If you set the waypoints and create a mission in the Litchi app it will program the drone to carry out that mission regardless of your signal. This obviously takes balls to give up control of your drone like this! But it does work from what I've read. I haven't tried it yet myself. There's a video on YouTube called follow the leader or Baltimore drone follow the leader. Those guys used Litchi to run their drones over 7.5 miles!

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Just got my P3S for Christmas but I had been researching it for awhile as well as the Litchi app so I downloaded it within a day of receiving my drone. Took the first couple of days to get used to it then I programmed a waypoint mission that was about 4 miles round trip with an estimated 12 minute flight time. Started the mission and lost radio/video contact about 3/4 mile out. I waited and waited while sweating it out. Sure enough about 15 minutes later contact with my RC was reconnected and my drone came in for a nice soft landing with great video of the entire mission.
Flew a 3 mile mission yesterday and after contact was lost the Litchi app stated that the mission had ended but the drone kept flying. I started with 50 percent battery but it was only a 9 minute flight so I figured I would be good. About 10 minutes later the drone came home and landed. After watching the video it was obvious that after the battery hits 25 percent the drone aborted the mission and took a direct flight over the hills to the home Point
Great app if you have the nerves for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Flew a 3 mile mission yesterday and after contact was lost the Litchi app stated that the mission had ended but the drone kept flying. I started with 50 percent battery but it was only a 9 minute flight so I figured I would be good. About 10 minutes later the drone came home and landed. ...
You dodged a bullet. You should never launch without a fully charged battery.

Wow good stories and info, I got a buddy about 1.5 miles away is what I was thinking of doing is sending to his house with a message or something he's got a nice big flat area to land. Ill probably download and practice I have a lot to learn 1st thanks to all

Takes some balls to start a mission at 50% battery on a 9 minute flight lol

Neon Euc

I realize that now but it did its job and immediately returned to home and skipped the rest of the waypoints when the battery got to low.

Reactions: Neon Euc
I realize that now but it did its job and immediately returned to home and skipped the rest of the waypoints when the battery got to low.

The issue is not so much that you had inadequate battery for the mission. The issue is that there is a history of batteries shutting themselves off without warning in the middle of flight. Yes, firmware improvements have helped, but still... why risk it?

It won't do that if you turn off SmartRTH before the flight but you better be darn sure you have enough battery to complete the flight.

Hello guys I received a p3s for Christmas and realized what I fun I have been missing. I've been practicing flying and reading many topics on this forum which has been extremely helpful. I was thinking of getting the Litchi app as it looks very interesting but had a question I couldn't figure out from reading. Do you have to stay within your RC range at all times or do the gps coordinate from the waypoints store in the phantom? It seems it would be easy to get too far away and lose signal and would it then go into RTH?

You fo not have to be in range for the mission to complete. However, you DO have to be within range of the RC for preprogrammed gimbal movements or speed changes to take effect.

The issue is not so much that you had inadequate battery for the mission. The issue is that there is a history of batteries shutting themselves off without warning in the middle of flight. Yes, firmware improvements have helped, but still... why risk it?
Perhaps you didn't explain your point well enough but I don't understand the risk you are trying to outline. If batteries have a history of shutting themselves off, why would 50% battery be any worse than 100%? Is there some distinction that the 50% battery has that the 100% doesn't that you didn't mention? Nothing you said explains why 50% battery is bad. Frankly, other than not completing its intended mission, I don't see a downside here. The bird's safeguards did exactly what we all hope OUR bird's safeguards will do, and the bird came home to fly again. Happy ending.

This is an old conversation.

One problem is you may have an inaccurate percentage reading. Another problem is a cell might drop into shut off mode prematurely and without warning which means the entire battery shuts down. It's been discussed in dozens of threads. You can search and read some of those threads if you like.

Basic pilot ****. Don't take off without enough fuel for the mission plus reserve. In real AC you have to take weight into account. With RC aircraft full fuel and no fuel weigh the same, so why not take off with full fuel for every mission.
It will eventually come back and bite you in the *** if you continue to start flights with less than full batt.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic