New to P2 V+, a few simple questions

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have had a Phantom (V1) with 3rd party gimbal and I own a few larger multirotors. I am going on a trip abroad for a few weeks and have bought a P2 V2+ there ahead of time (we're traveling with a baby and I couldn't bring one of the larger multirotors with me).

I bought 2 extra batteries, a travel bag, 2 extra set of props, 32GB & 16GB cards.

1) Knowing that I'll be fairly remote (but will have access to electricity), what else would I need? Do the Wifi-repeater & radio eat through AA batteries? Should I bring a AA battery charger & rechargeables?

2) I'll be flying in pretty wide open spaces with little wi-fi noise. I don't expect to fly more than 500m (1600ft) away, do I need to look into FPVR type range extending antennas?

3) What's the consensus when it comes to range extending apps? I assume they connect to the wi-fi expander and turn up some power setting?

4) Does the iPhone need to have cellular connectivity? I assume it does to download the maps? Can they be downloaded earlier and cached?

5) Am I to understand that the Channel 7 trigger has high sensitivity and it really only allows for 2 positions? I see a few posts regarding calibrating channel 7? I assume that's to have more fined tune control over it?

6) What's the point of the Naza mode? Should I look into that? I am familiar with operating Naza V2 multirotors.

7) The P2 V+ was the better choice for me for this trip since simple out of the box FPV was a requirement. Can I remove the proprietary gimbal & camera later on to replace it with a H3-3D with GoPro or a third party gimbal? In that case, do you remove the module that broadcast the FPV video signal via WIFI?

8) Any other app, accessory that I should look into?

I realize these questions can be answered by digging into pages & pages of discussions in this forum but I am hoping they're straightforward, easy enough to answer and not really debate fodder that you guys will indulge a P2 V+ newbie.

Do you have a way to charge the wifi extender?

1. The repeater doesn't have a removable battery. It needs a USB charger.
The Transmitter doesn't really eat through batteries AFIK but I'd use rechargeables and keep em topped off.

2. Not sure about the range. Many things can affect it. 500M should be fine but I've seen posts here from people who can't get even 1000ft on the TX control.

3. Yes, they turn up the power on the repeater and the Phantom.

4. They can be cached

5. Channel 7 works fine for me and smoothly moves through all 90 degrees. I don't have a lever for it though, I just tested it by sicking a screwdriver in the hole and turning it back and forth.
I did calibrate it in the RC Assistant. I think many of the lever designs don't allow for the full range of movement of the pot so they're calibrating in a narrow range which makes it more sensitive.

6. Naza mode is, I think, Mostly for the home lock feature and the ability to add failsafe or manual control to the S1 switch.

7. Maybe. There has been a teaser video from droneexpert.nl showing it working with FPV video but they haven't released any additional info.
I'm sure it will happen at some point but it's doubtful it will retain camera control.
I have seen some info about maintaining a WiFi connection to the GoPro to have remote shutter capability in the air.

Just wanted to add that rechargeable batteries in the transmitter/controller may limit your range. The controller works best with 1.65V, but most rechargeable batteries only have 1.3V when they're full. It may work, but I just read a post from someone who claimed additional range by bumping from 1.4V to 1.65V (even thought the transmitter didn't alarm a "low battery" tone). Just something to consider.

erkme73 said:
Just wanted to add that rechargeable batteries in the transmitter/controller may limit your range. The controller works best with 1.65V, but most rechargeable batteries only have 1.3V when they're full. It may work, but I just read a post from someone who claimed additional range by bumping from 1.4V to 1.65V (even thought the transmitter didn't alarm a "low battery" tone). Just something to consider.
Good point. i hadn't thought of that. I'm still using the included batteries.
I wonder if this would account for those users who are having range problems with the TX control?

It's quite possible. And after doing some more reading, it appears alkaline batteries will drain down pretty quickly (within 10 or so flights) - to the point that range is affected, but yet, not setting off the low battery alarm. Too bad there isn't a built-in voltmeter in the TX...

I just got back from a holiday to remote parts of northern Australia and had to be pretty self sufficient. Regarding your points ill try and answer them 1 by 1.

cahutch has already done this but ill add my experience aswell.

#1 I used my PV2+ for a month with the same alky batteries in the controller the whole time. But b4 i left home i did buy a bulk pack of them just in case. I dont like rechargeable ones.

#2 You dont need any extra aerials, but make sure your controller is set to FCC mode. How to do that is in the DJI downloadable manual, and is selected from the bottom of the controller. That will extend the range a fair bit.

#3 Its up to you regarding range extender apps. I think the PV2+ has enough range for the average joe.

#4 Your iphone does not need conectivity to work, but yes you need to cache the maps prior to leaving home.

#5 Dont know anything about channel 7

#6 I changed to naza when i got home, and here is the situation i was in that changed my mind only for the IOC feature. I was filming a rock formation some 800-900m from me. I could not see the PV2 because of the distance away from me. I pulled back on the left stick thinking the PV was orientated the same way as it was when it left. I noticed the distance measurement was reducing on the iphone app so i thought it was coming back to me. But i soon realised it wasnt, it was actually tracking to my left and away from me. So i stopped it, and took a closer look at the picture i was receiving, did a 360 to orientate it and then pulled the left stick down and back to me it came.
With IOC set in naza mode regardless of which way its facing pulling the left sick down will bring it back to you.

#7 Dont know.

#8 I dont think theres anything else you need app wise

Good luck with your PV2+

Thank you all for the answers. To be clear regarding channel 7, there isn't a lever on the controller? I though they added that since the P2? Should I buy a lever from ebay?

To be clear on the removal of the proprietary gimbal and camera, I just want to know if I can replace it with an H3-3D in the future to get better IQ with the GoPro or if the vision+ can't behave like a P2 base. I know I would be losing FPV, OSD, etc.

I would be interested to know more about channel 7 and levers, though probably for another topic.

jarrah31 said:
I would be interested to know more about channel 7 and levers, though probably for another topic.
Here's a demo. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n_BCFMs-Yeg
To be clear, you don't need any extra hardware to enable this. It already works if you turn the dial with a screwdriver.
For some reason dronexpert.nl sells a hardware kit with wires and parts that go inside the Phantom but I don't know why that would be necessary unless the function didn't work in prior firmware versions.

Channel 7 does not work with plus yet. As soon as the app is turned on it won't work.
Been well discussed here. A couple of app booster guys are trying to get working.

jarrah31 said:
Channel 7 (camera tilt) was removed from the controller on the +. It is now adjusted from within the FPV/camaera app on your display device.

erkme73 said:
It's quite possible. And after doing some more reading, it appears alkaline batteries will drain down pretty quickly (within 10 or so flights) - to the point that range is affected, but yet, not setting off the low battery alarm. Too bad there isn't a built-in voltmeter in the TX...

I am still using the original Panasonic alkaline batteries included with the Vision+. I have 70 whole-battery flights and my last flight was over 4300' distance. The controller batteries last a LONG time.

Dirty Bird said:
erkme73 said:

I am still using the original Panasonic alkaline batteries included with the Vision+. I have 70 whole-battery flights and my last flight was over 4300' distance. The controller batteries last a LONG time.

That's great to know. I was just repeating what I'd read elsewhere on this forum. I'm glad to know I don't need to dump the batteries after just a few flights...

TeeJayN said:
Okayyy - Which one is it?
I haven't tried it with the App connected but it does work if you move the control with a screwdriver.

When I power on, the gimbal moves the camera pitch to ~45degrees regardless of where the TX dial is set.
When you move the dial even slightly, it resets to wherever the dial is, so If I left the dial at 90, when I move it slightly the camera pitches back up to 90 at full speed and then tracks smoothly after that.

I gather from reading here that it stops working after the app is connected. I'll have to test that.

Tested and confirmed. CH7 control works fine at startup and even after connecting to WiFi and starting the app.
It stops working as soon as you enter the camera section of the app and the connection is made to the Phantom.
Seems like they could fix this via software update.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20