New to forum! A few p3 questions

Reaction score
Hi all, I have a few questions I'd like to get your feedback on since I haven't found the answers.

1. In atti mode, how and how reliable is the altitude if it's not using GPS? What barometer if it using? How does rth work without gps?

2. Are all the mobile mounts a little loose or is there a way to tighten it completely?

3. Is there a way to test the sticks with the dji app? To see how they respond on the screen?

4. Is looking at the gyro and imu stats sufficient to see if it's normal? I do imu check all the time but it always says no calibration needed

5. How do I descend fast without worrying that the motors will shut down? Slow descents from high up don't feel good

Those are it for now.. If others have similar good questions feel free to add to this thread

Here's a few thoughts:

1 - In atti mode the altitude is stable. Actually, the P3 doesn't use the GPS for altitude. Rather, it uses the barometer even in GPS mode. RTH does not function in atti mode.

2 - I don't understand what "mobile mounts" are.

3 - You may want to calibrate the sticks. Otherwise, you can use the simulator mode to get used to the the sticks before actually flying.

5 - If you descend even quickly the motors will not shut down unless you initiate a CSC command. The motors will stop if you pull the left stick back all the way and the vertical descent stops for 3 seconds (in other words, you have landed or caught the P3).

Hope those help!

Chris

1) When in A-mode (Attitude), RTH will still work as long as your Phantom has a sufficient GPS signal. However, if you're in P-ATTI mode, RTH will not work since you do not have a sufficient GPS signal. See the "Flight Mode" section of the Phantom manual for more information about the various flight modes.

3) If you have an Apple device, this is how you get into the flight simulator:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

4) Whether it's needed or not, it's a good idea to do an IMU calibration when:

- Right after installing new firmware
- You crash, drop your Phantom, or it gets banged around in another way
- If the gimbal is not level
- If it takes forever to warm up at startup
- If your Phantom drifts when yawing

Check out this video for more tips on the IMU calibration:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

5) While DJI says they don't think it's possible, you should be wary of a full throttle descent (left stick the whole way down) because of VRS. I try not to descend straight down at more than 3 MPH. If you want to do a full throttle descent, try doing so while moving horizontal at the same time (if you have room).

Hi Chris thanks for the reply!

I think the manual states that rth or failsafe does work in atti.

The mount for the phone/tablet is a little loose no matter how I tighten it it swings a little from side to side.

I get the calibration, but I can't do it if the phantom is connected. What if I just want to confirm the values? There should be some feedback on the dji app that can do that .. I mean the app has that information.

Regarding the decent.. The motors will shut off if I push the throttle all the way down for 3 seconds. Not just the normal CSC. So how do I decent safely?

Regarding the decent.. The motors will shut off if I push the throttle all the way down for 3 seconds. Not just the normal CSC. So how do I decent safely?
No .. the motors WILL NOT shut off if you push the throttle all the way down for 3 seconds in flight.
Repeat .. WILL NOT shut off in flight.
That will shut off the motors when you have landed or caught and the Phantom is not descending but not in flight.
It is completely safe to descend vertically at full speed from high up.
Here's what the manual says about it ...
i-ZhRNmjb-L.jpg

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.