New to flying RC

Reaction score
I’m considering a used p3 or 4 for surf fishing.
I’m somewhat concerned about the platform aging and repairs in the future. Also spotting fish from above would be helpful,but photography isn’t important.
I also considered a mini2, but the payload capacity would be marginal.

Advise?

Reactions: RodPad
Welcome to the Forum!

A mini?
I'm a afraid to get mine over my head, that way I have a chance to grab it, in a wind gust. :) 👌

Rod ..

Reactions: LOVE NZ
Just as @Starz said, the Phantom 4 would be perfect for this task. And I believe that the parts and batteries will be available for a long time.

I use the P4 for fishing often. I used to use a P3P but it’s too outdated while the P4 and newer P4P v2 use the same available batteries. The best thing is that it can easily carry over a pound of weight, even in a breeze. I also fish with my Air2 but only with very light loads, small bait and small weight. Along with a remote controlled release (from RC) I always recommend adding a downrigger clip to the drop line to release the load in case of accidental entanglement or bird grab, it will save your day. Also in an emergency, a quick tug on the line will release the load. Added Redundancy. Have fun.

I use the P4 for fishing often. I used to use a P3P but it’s too outdated while the P4 and newer P4P v2 use the same available batteries. The best thing is that it can easily carry over a pound of weight, even in a breeze. I also fish with my Air2 but only with very light loads, small bait and small weight. Along with a remote controlled release (from RC) I always recommend adding a downrigger clip to the drop line to release the load in case of accidental entanglement or bird grab, it will save your day. Also in an emergency, a quick tug on the line will release the load. Added Redundancy. Have fun.
Surf fishing? Always use a launch/landing pad over sand, especially beach sand, it gets in all the wrong places. A drop of oil on the screws will help with rust but it also attracts sand. I keep a bag of P4 screws on-hand for replacement at the first sign of rust, otherwise.. you’re screwed.
Anyways, most of my fishing flights are about 300ft out. I use braided line on a Penn Live Liner reel so there’s no need to flip the bail to let out line. It makes a one man flying & fishing trip a breeze. Otherwise, take a friend.

Reactions: RodPad and Dockside
I have a very low mileage P3P with 5 batteries if you decide to go that route. I don't really want to sell, but I know I will never fly it again now that I have a P4PV1. Otherwise, @Starz can probably set you up with one of the P4 series birds.

Kind of busy reading posts and learning about this hobby prior to just jumping in and crashing.
I grew up before joy sticks so will need to develop some skills there.
Looking at ebay posts, there are many about battery issues and controller battery problems. Also birds with out controller. I have allot to learn

Most DJI products are relatively easy to control. With the gps part of the system, they will hold position with no stick input from the pilot. Understanding the environment you’re flying in and the effects it has on your aircraft is key. Controller battery problems are rare and with proper care, there shouldn’t be any issues. Aircraft batteries have procedures to follow to keep them in good health. Not difficult to keep them in order as long as those guidelines are followed.

My grandson started flying a P3P at age 3. Stick skills should not be an issue.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl