New to Droning

Reaction score
I just started flying a drone I have 13 flights on the DJI Phantom 3 SE and I have a lot of questions. Sorry
1st question how do I get the 2.4KM flight and video range out of my SE

1st question how do I get the 2.4KM flight and video range out of my SE
These numbers are under IDEAL conditions. Which means, no obstructions, complete VLOS , antenna's oriented properly, and full battery charge, among others.

should I be I 2.4 or 5.8
also would my tablet have anything to do with it I have a Samsung Tab A 9.7

13 flights 1.2km is far enough.. but flight distance depends on where you live, Where you fly. if you are in town your signal gets scrambled pretty quick
I am in the country and it might be far enough since I am a beginner but I like to test the limits

I am in the country and it might be far enough since I am a beginner but I like to test the limits
My first advice is to try it at a different location. Don't forget that the P3SE uses a WiFi signal and that is very sensitive to interference. For example, when there is a powerplant somewhere in your area, it can already affect the quality of your connection.

You use the 5.8 ghz connection for longer distances but it is very sensitive. The 2.4 ghz has a slightly shorter range but is less sensitive. You get the most out of your drone by flying at a height of 80 ~ 120 meters above water. A water surface acts as a kind of mirror for your signal and ensures that you can fly further.

But... as a novice drone pilot I advise you to enjoy the shorter distances and to focus your attention on film technology. In addition, the app offers sufficient options (Waypoints, Follow Me, etc.) to expand your basic knowledge.

Yep same... I’ve found that for distance with the SE you need to be elevated (on a hill ) and fly in a spot where it doesn’t disappear behind trees hills ect the wifi signal doesn’t like going through things I use a parabolic booster also, it’s a cheap option for more distance. Make sure the RC is always facing the drone Oh make sure the RTH is set

Last edited:
My first advice is to try it at a different location. Don't forget that the P3SE uses a WiFi signal and that is very sensitive to interference. For example, when there is a powerplant somewhere in your area, it can already affect the quality of your connection.

You use the 5.8 ghz connection for longer distances but it is very sensitive. The 2.4 ghz has a slightly shorter range but is less sensitive. You get the most out of your drone by flying at a height of 80 ~ 120 meters above water. A water surface acts as a kind of mirror for your signal and ensures that you can fly further.

But... as a novice drone pilot I advise you to enjoy the shorter distances and to focus your attention on film technology. In addition, the app offers sufficient options (Waypoints, Follow Me, etc.) to expand your basic knowledge.

Thank you for the info I will continue to try different areas. I also agree with the beginner comment that is what I am doing currently but I just wanted to see the range I could get. once again thank you for the help

Yep same... I’ve found that for distance with the SE you need to be elevated (on a hill ) and fly in a spot where it doesn’t disappear behind trees hills ect the wifi signal doesn’t like going through things I use a parabolic booster also, it’s a cheap option for more distance. Make sure the RC is always facing the drone Oh make sure the RTH is set
Thank you for the help.

If i'm not mistaken the parabolic will do no good on the SE. The external antenna is for communication between the RC and mobile device. At least that is the way my SE works.

So people have said but my experience is THIS flew 1200M with out it RTH... Put the parabolic on flew 2200M before RTH I use it all the time my longest flight is 3300M

That is likely caused by conditions or flight area. I regularly fly 3000m with stock antenna. Returning only because i run out of my property. After having my RC apart and checking i can attest the stuby external antenna is for RC/mobile communication only. Removing that antenna and flying your bird will make it clear. There are several topics in the SE forum explaining. YMMV though so just keep flying safely and having fun.

When I fly I can only get about 4000 feet range out of my drone then I lose signal.

Forget the signal ... can you truthfully see your drone at 4000'. Have you reviewed all the FAA regulations? At 4000' you must have unusual eyes to maintain VLOS (visual line of sight). Of course, if you have spotter along the way, then you can get to your range questions.

Reactions: MotorCycle-Man
Forget the signal ... can you truthfully see your drone at 4000'. Have you reviewed all the FAA regulations? At 4000' you must have unusual eyes to maintain VLOS (visual line of sight). Of course, if you have spotter along the way, then you can get to your range questions.
yes my wife is my spotter

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
intertronixlabel