New to DJI

Reaction score
I just bought a p4 and have a yuneec q500 for like 2 months I've never opened the p4 did I make a good purchase?

So you bought it and never test it? You will never know if you make a good purchase if you didn't take it out to the sky and see how it performed.

So you bought it and never test it? You will never know if you make a good purchase if you didn't take it out to the sky and see how it performed.
Maybe I will this weekend I was just kind of curious to open it because of the negative reviews about the new update.

Knowing what I know now and from the looks of the future of DJI's updates and obsession of taking control of YOUR drone I would return it and get my money back if you still can. Enjoy your Yuneec until either DJI implodes or comes to their senses and changes their current direction.

Knowing what I know now and from the looks of the future of DJI's updates and obsession of taking control of YOUR drone I would return it and get my money back if you still can. Enjoy your Yuneec until either DJI implodes or comes to their senses and changes their current direction.
or until Yuneeq realise that they will have to respond and do much the same as DJI are doing :)

Open it, fly it, enjoy it. Then ask yourself why you ever bought the Yuneek. The P4 has it all over the Yuneek, range, control, flight modes.... Yes DJI can be like big brother. Accept it and enjoy the drone.

Reactions: KevMo Photog
I just bought a p4 and have a yuneec q500 for like 2 months I've never opened the p4 did I make a good purchase?
I have fond memories of my Q500. It was a good trainer, dog slow though. Max speed was 15mph. I felt lucky to find a buyer to sell it to. That took me about 6mos to unload it after I bought my P3P, July 2015.

As for the P4, it's far beyond what the Q500 can do. Even the P3P is way beyond Q500, like 2 miles beyond. Q500 range sucked because it uses wifi for communications. You might get 1800' range. I remember it would take forever to reconnect when losing the connection on the fringe limits, like 30 seconds sometimes. DJI lightbridge reconnects in seconds when you get a disconnect, because it's not using plain ole Wifi. Just ascend and the connection comes back quick. Just the settings option on the camera in DJI is years ahead of Q500, which has virtually no options to set color, contrast, speed, gimbal speed, expos, smoothing, all kinds of stuff the Q500 never even thought of including IMO.

The best advantage over Q500 is that Phantom's are backpackable. Oh man is that's convenient for travel and storage. The Q500 you have that huge hard case to lug around all the time, a true PITA.

I'll warn you, the P4 has a weak controller, the GL300C. You might get a mile range, sometimes less (in town). If you upgrade the antenna with a DBS2 Itelite, that will improve your range. You can also buy a GL658A or C controller for the Inspire, and that will take you past 2 miles with a windsurfer, which is what I fly with.

An older P3P with GL300A controller will go past 2 miles range. If you buy a used one of those you'll be happy, in comparison to Q500. I have one for sale if interested. But the P4 is a nice craft, and it's fast, 40mph without OA enabled. However, if you enable object avoidance, the craft is slow, around 18mph. DJI says it will go 22mph, but that's only when RTH is enabled. The P4P will do 30mph with object avoidance enabled, which is the optimal speed to maximize flight duration and distance. So if you can afford P4P, that might be a better value, given the 1" sensor camera it sports.

Then the issue is finding a good P4P, as their quality consistency is 50-50 crapshoot IMO. I love DJI, but man oh man, their quality needs to improve. They're still dealing with simple things, like cracking plastic. You've got to have patience with DJI, but when you get a good craft, flying it is addicting.

Last edited:
Wow your really defensive when anyone voice's an opinion that differ's from your's or speaks their mind about DJI, your like the DJI defense bot. Chill out.

nope, just because I have a different opinion to you doesn't make me (in your words) 'a fan boy' it means I disagree with the rubbish you post :D

I think you'll be very impressed with the DJI P4 compared to the Yuneec bird! It's just better in about every category tbo!

Reactions: andy_k
I love DJI, but man oh man, their quality needs to improve. They're still dealing with simple things, like cracking plastic. You've got to have patience with DJI, but when you get a good craft, flying it is addicting.

That's why I am not going to invest in new drones from DJI. I am going to upgrade in the future from the phantom 3 standard to a refurbished advanced, maybe next year. I have in my standard protectors under each motor, that protect the shell from cracking. I don't have any yet and have this aircraft since January.

Reactions: lickitysplit11111
I think you'll be very impressed with the DJI P4 compared to the Yuneec bird! It's just better in about every category tbo!

I am a DJI fan but the typhoon H from yuneec is very cool. If one of the motor failed, the aircraft still can fly.

That's why I am not going to invest in new drones from DJI. I am going to upgrade in the future from the phantom 3 standard to a refurbished advanced, maybe next year. I have in my standard protectors under each motor, that protect the shell from cracking. I don't have any yet and have this aircraft since January.

I think a lot of people feel the same way after the past few months , my guess is that any phantom that gets released after the P4P will have loads of flight restrictions which will make upgrading a waste of money .

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nwbailey