NEW RECORD {update} [video is up] 6.09km... 3.8mi !!!

shane_hood said:
do we get to see the setup?

I'm gonna post on that this week... sorry ... just didn't wanna be sloppy and half assed when I was in "test and swap" mode ... crap hanging everywhere and screws all over the place were holding me back from taking any pics ... should have something posted by Wednesday night...

mede8er said:
That vid of the ultralite is fantastic....gotta be a grade A pilot to pull that off..... :shock:

With grade A spotters on the ground... and whoever was holding that sun shade so i could see my screen better... (i think that was old mike) ... wouldn't have been the same without you guys down there... I don't think I even would have done that if you guys weren't there...

You know what else I thought of... If the dude with the rc cub had showed up... I wouldn't have had any batteries left... If he never sent the message that he would be there... I wouldn't have had any batteries left cuzz I always fly early... If I woulda left my phone on (we turned off our phones for your long range attempt) I woulda got his "flat tire" message and I wouldn't have had any batteries left...

Weird how it takes many coincidences to cause a coincidence :ugeek:

mede8er said:
OK, reconfigured my TX/RX setup.....ready for another go on Sunday...... :eek:

Reconfigured ... :twisted: ... What you got goin on there bro man?

Are you going to be trying for a distance record this weekend? I have to work at 9 on sunday morning but I can be down there for the early part at least... gadda get outta there by 8 or so... plenty of time to take a long shot right? :ugeek:

Cool deal... I will be there for spotter...

Might just leave all my crap at home this time... Or just bring the RC Logger... I gadda fly that thing an run through the batteries anyway... Do you even play around with the Hubsan at all? Mine is making terrible noises in the air... I think it's about to throw a motor soon :?

Got good news from itelite yesterday... 2 antenna arrays are going to design & build stage already and should have prototypes for testing in a few weeks :D

More reasons to fly :!:

:ugeek:

mede8er said:
Weather permitting going for 16+k Sunday....be there... :cool:

good luck, i guess battery capacity is going to become a problem at some point for you?? to get just distance ( rather than there and back ) you might need to start sending folks off into the countryside and flying to them and landing there?? maybe set up a webcam so you can see the LZ in real time on a second device over celular? if you live in the sticks you could maybe start your flight further away from home and just keep flying home and landing? if you don't make home the bird shouldn't be too far away and the terrain will be familiar to you.

locoworks said:
mede8er said:
Weather permitting going for 16+k Sunday....be there... :cool:

good luck, i guess battery capacity is going to become a problem at some point for you?? to get just distance ( rather than there and back ) you might need to start sending folks off into the countryside and flying to them and landing there?? maybe set up a webcam so you can see the LZ in real time on a second device over celular? if you live in the sticks you could maybe start your flight further away from home and just keep flying home and landing? if you don't make home the bird shouldn't be too far away and the terrain will be familiar to you.

When he said "16+k" he was talking feet... 16 thousand + feet.. just over 3 miles... should be no problem with battery time.

Yep...should have about a quarter battery left...the only thing (weather permitting) limiting this flight is the flight path I'm taking, which takes me to a major interstate which I will not cross....

mede8er said:
Rained out.... :cry:

This sucks bro... I left my Phantom sit so we could concentrate on yours... but I have three batteries charged up for the RC Logger ... plus the Hubsan and the Estes ... All sitting here looking at me like a pack of puppies that wanna go for a walk :|

DBS said:
. All sitting here looking at me like a pack of puppies that wanna go for a walk :|

LOL ! Poor puppies

No rain but we have low visibility today. Had to go for drive to get above it. Made for nice video!

Little too much humidity in the air for me to set any personal best. But great flying with a cup of coffee.

Attachments

• nice.jpg
    nice.jpg
    567.3 KB · Views: 325
Yep...leisure flying is fun as well....went to the park after it cleared out and burnt a couple batts....the Disco Pro is progressing very well.....if only my parts would arrive.... :x

rrmccabe said:
Little too much humidity in the air for me to set any personal best. But great flying with a cup of coffee.

I had a similar situation a few days ago. it could get 11000ft and then RC went out of reach. I don't use a booster on it yet because i can't determine VSWR on that helical i made, but its on 100mW ( FCC ). Only the Ghz diode has to come in so i can finisch of that directional coupler.
I thought it was due to humidity.
So you also experienced less distance due to humidity ?

ToThePoint said:
rrmccabe said:

I had a similar situation a few days ago. it could get 11000ft and then RC went out of reach. I don't use a booster on it yet because i can't determine VSWR on that helical i made, but its on 100mW ( FCC ). Only the Ghz diode has to come in so i can finisch of that directional coupler.
I thought it was due to humidity.
So you also experienced less distance due to humidity ?

I have ... maybe not so much "humidity" but rather actual fog in the morning air... those really wet mornings where there are patches of low fog lying close to the ground and the grass is wet and heavy... that's when signal really takes a hit ... looking forward to the cool dry fall mornings when these different antenna setups on the forum will really show their full potential... then the flytrex site will be flipping numbers like crazy... :ugeek:

Its been same for us. Normally this is dry season but we have been waking up to dew dripping down the gutters like rain.

This will be my first year with a Quad so just learning what to expect. I do play around with amateur radio so have a decent understanding of what is going on :) Well some days and others I don't know crap!

rrmccabe said:
Well some days and others I don't know crap!

It's just like that sometimes.. i've been doing this since early 2007 (jeez that's 7 years already) and sometimes you just end up baffled by some unknown... everything can work out in the numbers and look good on paper but then get out in the field and just drive you crazy with crappy results ... frustrating sometimes and really satisfying getting it figured out in the end...

WiFi is the worst... it'll drive you insane if you try and act like you know... :twisted:

My WIFI hasn't been too bad. The boosted app has caused me more grief than anything.

What I find odd is one time I will lose telemetry and I can still see the blades spinning and the next time I lose video and the telemetry is fine.

You would think if you drop WIFI you would lose it all. Right now I have gave up on the apps.

rrmccabe said:
My WIFI hasn't been too bad. The boosted app has caused me more grief than anything.

What I find odd is one time I will lose telemetry and I can still see the blades spinning and the next time I lose video and the telemetry is fine.

You would think if you drop WIFI you would lose it all. Right now I have gave up on the apps.

Wow... i've never lost telemetry while video is solid... but then i haven't seen any of the typical problems i was having with the stock antennas now that i switched to these "battle shields" i've been swinging around lately. :? But even the small patches exhibit the same behavior... makes me wonder why exactly did DJI decide to go with a MIMO WiFi setup and then use LHCP patch antennas ... seems like one idea trying to cancel the other one out :x

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jakob08z