NEW RECORD {update} [video is up] 6.09km... 3.8mi !!!

DBS

Reaction score
Did some more antenna modding last weekend... finally decided to mod a little bit on the Phantom itself... still using everything stock and stock antennas... just moved them a little bit so they are pointing in the right direction for FPV

Video here...
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-1HlDJcPlw[/youtube]

Screenshot from flight or it didn't happen right?
a6994232-65-Screenshot_2014-08-06-06-33-47.jpg

Ended up on top of the Flytrex leaderboard for P2V+ long range... pretty sweet for an old guy like me
a6994236-66-Screenshot_2014-08-06-07-26-17.png

I still gots more range in this baby... never lost control signal... never lost video feed... never hit RTH... Returned to base with 25% battery remaining... looks like there'll be some more attempts in my future...

UPDATE 8/20/2014 ... 6:30am ESC ...

Stupid , stupid run this morning... :roll: went out to just test :roll: ... New antennas ... New mounts ... New cables ... New power pack for booster amps ...

I figured I would go pretty long and just get an idea if everything was solid ... I knew I was fighting a head wind so i didn't see myself pushing anything very far but signal and video was so clean I just kept going... as I got to a good distance I noticed I could hit the 6km mark so i pushed for that... turned around ... looked at the battery level and noticed it was already at 44% ... HOLY CRAP!!! :shock: ... I thought it was all over at that point ... but I saw the speed get up to 40mph on the way back and hold at that number ... so luckily ... I got back quickly and all was a happy ending :mrgreen:

I'll get out on a calmer day and see if I can nail the 4 mile mark ... just a bit farther and I woulda had it!!! :ugeek:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qHZF7hdorJY[/youtube]

Slamming the leaderboard by over a mile now... :D

Screenshot_2014-08-20-07-36-13_zps1c7ldjz0.png

And... The first time a P2V+ has shown front page on the Flytrex Multicopter "Overall Scoreboard"
Showing here at number 7... sweet :twisted:

Screenshot_2014-08-20-07-39-46_zpsmnohdxre.png

Re: NEW RECORD... 16,543ft... 5.04km... 3.1mi

im #3..was #2..coming for you. just you wait!

DBS said:
Did some more antenna modding last weekend... finally decided to mod a little bit on the Phantom itself... still using everything stock and stock antennas... just moved them a little bit so they are pointing in the right direction for FPV

Video here...
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-1HlDJcPlw[/youtube]

Screenshot from flight or it didn't happen right?

Ended up on top of the Flytrex leaderboard for P2V+ long range... pretty sweet for an old guy like me
a6994236-66-Screenshot_2014-08-06-07-26-17.png

I still gots more range in this baby... never lost control signal... never lost video feed... never hit RTH... Returned to base with 25% battery remaining... looks like there'll be some more attempts in my future...

yeaaaahhhh, my name is in this leaderboard also... never realized it...

number 7, with a stock phantom and transmitter, using the booster app from pvflyer and some antenna reflectors home made from a pringles can :D ...

Congratulations man!!! For those of you who don't know Chuck this flight is the end product of 100's of hours of research, trial and error...this stuff doesn't just happen overnight.... :shock:

Awesome flight! Congratulations!
How much power remained when you landed? I see you used the gauge and returned at 0 minutes :)

tizzl10 said:
im #3..was #2..coming for you. just you wait!

I'm ready for ya... BRING IT ON!!!

opassac said:
yeaaaahhhh, my name is in this leaderboard also... never realized it...

number 7, with a stock phantom and transmitter, using the booster app from pvflyer and some antenna reflectors home made from a pringles can :D ...

Awesomeness. .. I never realized it was there either... somebody pointed it out to me yesterday

mede8er said:
Congratulations man!!! For those of you who don't know Chuck this flight is the end product of 100's of hours of research, trial and error...this stuff doesn't just happen overnight.... :shock:

I can neither confirm nor deny the number of hours. .. :lol:

DronePilot said:
Awesome flight! Congratulations!
How much power remained when you landed? I see you used the gauge and returned at 0 minutes :)

It was at zero the whole **** time...?!?! I landed with 25% remaining...

Thanks for the support guys... more goodness coming soon...

Either that or an epic disaster!!! :twisted:

Way to go!! I'm wondering if relocating the FPV antennas would be a good mod to improve FPV reliability on stock setups? How difficult of a job is that?

DBS i am happy for you but what i can't seem to find is " on what software version does the bird run ? ".
As i am also making mods and want to get some distance ( currently 8000ft ) i shall not compete.
It feels like " disaster is imminent ".
Anyway interested in what you have done on the mod level.

Amazing!

Geeber said:
Way to go!! I'm wondering if relocating the FPV antennas would be a good mod to improve FPV reliability on stock setups? How difficult of a job is that?

Pretty straight forward... However ... One of the antenna wires comes out short so you need an extension or a rewire... I did the mmcx extension... but I'm doing a rewire soon because I don't like the amount of connectors with the extension.

ToThePoint said:
DBS i am happy for you but what i can't seem to find is " on what software version does the bird run ? ".
As i am also making mods and want to get some distance ( currently 8000ft ) i shall not compete.
It feels like " disaster is imminent ".
Anyway interested in what you have done on the mod level.

3.0 I guess... I never took the 3.04 update yet

vortigern said:

Thankyou sir :mrgreen:

Geert said:
Awesome !!!

Congrats mate.

:D

Geert./.

Thankyou sir!!

Question for everyone... does anyone know why my battery level meter is showing "0min" left in flight time? Is anybody else having that problem? Maybe because I'm flying out of a certain range and it can't calculate? Or it's telling me to head home now a as I'm too far away?

DBS said:
Question for everyone... does anyone know why my battery level meter is showing "0min" left in flight time? Is anybody else having that problem? Maybe because I'm flying out of a certain range and it can't calculate? Or it's telling me to head home now a as I'm too far away?

probably because you're not using the latest (3.06) firmware.

Wow, wow wow! Congrats DBS.
I was already happy to fly 1.6km (1mile) with all my extensions, taco rc utility and stuff but 5km is insane.
Thanks for sharing all this cool information with us ! Really like it.

I also have bought flytrex and dashware and really like your gauges.
Can you tell me how to create those scrolling distance tickertape style scrolling meters ? And the ones on the side for speed and height. Really cool. Can't seem to make those. Hope you can help me out ?

Keep on flying man, respect for breaking the 5km limit. Up to 6km !

DBS said:
Thankyou sir!!

I'm thinking can't calibrate. Too far.

I have no reason to doubt you and don't but I still don't see how you get
3 miles with only 40% of battery used? Can you help me understand?

hobbybob said:
Wow, wow wow! Congrats DBS.
I was already happy to fly 1.6km (1mile) with all my extensions, taco rc utility and stuff but 5km is insane.
Thanks for sharing all this cool information with us ! Really like it.

I also have bought flytrex and dashware and really like your gauges.
Can you tell me how to create those scrolling distance tickertape style scrolling meters ? And the ones on the side for speed and height. Really cool. Can't seem to make those. Hope you can help me out ?

Keep on flying man, respect for breaking the 5km limit. Up to 6km !

Thankyou very much sir... yeah... that was lots of hard work for sure... :oops:
Regarding Flytrex... Those scrolling meter are part of the Dashware program... (I think) it may be that I downloaded them from the Dashware site when I downloaded the software... they have extras for download here... http://www.dashware.net/download-gauges/ ... that was awhile ago so I don't remember the entire process... but you have to add the ones you want to your cart and then go to your cart and download one by one (or something like that... really strange setup)

JWarren said:
I have no reason to doubt you and don't but I still don't see how you get
3 miles with only 40% of battery used? Can you help me understand?

No problems bro... you seem like a pretty stand up guy around here so maybe I can pick it apart for ya and make some sense of it following my flight rules and some regular math...

#1) No wind... no wind AT ALL... If I light my cigarette and the smoke drifts away quickly I'm done... I will fly around and play around but no long distance stuff... you can't estimate battery in those conditions... you can't be buffeting.... no cross wind... no nothing
#2) Battery Conditioning... run your battery down to zero once in awhile... more than DJI recommends... I do mine every 3 flights or so and it really opens up the bottom end of the battery... I'm getting 22 minute flights at hover... High 22s... like 22:45 on a regular basis... full blast like these long runs I get about 18 or 19 minutes ... let's call it 18 for the sake of the math
#3) Don't update to 3.06... dude i was flying with in Sunday showed it slows down the Phantom... not enough top speed and your in the air longer to reach a target distance... more battery to get where you wanna go...
#4) Balance props and motors... vibrations eat up precious battery as well...

Now for the math... let's say I get 18 minutes on a full battery... 50% would be at 9... at my turn around point I was at 6 minutes... (see screen shot below... I pressed record and took off within 2 seconds) ... now refer to video below... I was averaging over 30 mph the whole time... except the pause to boost and the pause for turn around and screenshot... much of the time I was at 40mph or close to it but let's call it 30 with the pauses affecting the average... 30mph... A mile every two minutes... 3 miles... 6 minutes... 6 being one third of my total 18 minute battery time... I should have used one third battery... but I was slowly climbing the entire time.... that's why it ended up at 40% used... you get that back on the return trip as you are descending and saving battery with the motors going slower but you also lose over all speed... still maintains a decent 30mph though... Overall flight was 13 minutes-ish... just over two thirds of my 18 minutes... Battery was at 26%... just over two thirds used.

I had this all calculated before I flew... but it all goes out the window if there is a wind factor in the equasion... (and I was off a little bit... I thought I would return with closer to 30% battery... but I was close enough for horseshoes :ugeek: )

Sorry if I was rambling.... it's what I do... it's what keeps me up at night :ugeek:

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik