new prop design

Trust me when I tell you that you're about to make a serious mistake. If you look at the comparison picture of the two props, the DJI prop hub is a molded piece that spins on....the CF prop has a silver ring at the hub and is in fact a separate piece. I bought the exact same props and luckily it decided to come apart as I was taking off and my Phantom just flipped over with no damage. When I started to examine the props to see what happened I could actually unscrew the top hub and bottom silver ring and was left with an old style prop that needs nuts. What they did was design a hub and screw on ring that converts the old props to self-tightening ones. Look at yours closely and you'll see what I'm talking about and DONT FLY with them if you value your equipment.

*** I forgot to add that the hub and the silver ring tighten the same way that you spin the prop on so they in effect are self-tightening pieces

Interesting. So what you are saying is the prop sits on top of this self tightening ring ... probably with some sort of adhesive and when the adhesive fails then the prop flies off leaving this ring on the motor thread?

That being said... although the DJI prop is molded around the self tightening nut... has anyone had a failure where the nut spins freely inside the stock prop?

Or I take it most stock prop failures are due to crashes?

d4ddyo said:
Interesting. So what you are saying is the prop sits on top of this self tightening ring ... probably with some sort of adhesive and when the adhesive fails then the prop flies off leaving this ring on the motor thread?

That being said... although the DJI prop is molded around the self tightening nut... has anyone had a failure where the nut spins freely inside the stock prop?

Or I take it most stock prop failures are due to crashes?

Look at it closely and you'll see what I'm talking about....the CF props are actually in three pieces- the prop, the hub on top and the silver ring that screws onto the hub which is threaded. The stock DJI props are molded around the screw on threads which makes it impossible for it to come apart. In my case, I think what happened is that some worker in China put a CCW hub and ring on a CW prop, or vice-versa, and it immediately came apart when I spooled up the motors because it couldn't self tighten. In my opinion, if you're going to use CF props you need to use the ones that need nuts so there is no chance of it coming apart.

Appreciate the feedback. I have not been able to check balance because I don't have a way to do it with the closed hub. Have a Do-bro prop balancer. I am sure they are not balanced. Most likely wasted my money with these.

freelanceshots said:
Appreciate the feedback. I have not been able to check balance because I don't have a way to do it with the closed hub. Have a Do-bro prop balancer. I am sure they are not balanced. Most likely wasted my money with these.

Even if they are balanced, you'd best not use them because they are poorly designed and made. If one of them fails at altitude, your Phantom might survive but it's going to be damaged for sure. I have a set that I use with the nuts and I like them but the "self-tightening" ones are junk IMHO.

Side view, taking a closer look at these props where these have what looks like is a one piece aluminum hub where the CF is formed around it. Not to contradict people's warning as I appreciate them. Who wants to crash their expensive toy/video tool?!?

Just want to see if these could actually be a viable option. I am currently playing with my gains for the flexible plastic props, but I might try and give these try and re-adjust gains to see if I can get a nice flight out of them. Not going to fly more then 10 feet off the ground and within my 200 foot radius in a field.

Attachments

• Ebay_Carbon_Fiber_props_Phantom2.jpg
    Ebay_Carbon_Fiber_props_Phantom2.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 366
  • Ebay_CFprop_Phantom.jpg
    Ebay_CFprop_Phantom.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 341
OK, today I've gotten them somewhat balanced and I go to install them. Come to find out with the second prop that I install the prop can't be tightened down because the carbon fiber section of the prop spins around the self-tightening center section when tightened. That would cause all kinds of problems for the phantom resulting in erratic flying. Just wrote the seller explaining that I'm going to post my findings on Ebay so that other don't waste their money. Done with ebay crap forever!!! I don't know what I was thinking as I knew better.

Replied to ebay sender and they got back pretty quickly before I could post the negative feedback. They told me to break them and then send them a pic and they would credit back my money. Here's the evidence:

Attachments

• ebay-props-broken-email.jpg
    ebay-props-broken-email.jpg
    213.9 KB · Views: 309
Got my money back through paypal after sending in destroyed pic. Only official dji props from now on. Also the props where just to easy to snap. Didn't take much effort.

-Bryan

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl