[New pilot] Pictures are grainy? Help...!

Reaction score
New pilot and I don't know much about cameras. I was taking some pictures today and my shots look like this: DJI_0041.MP4 and DJI_0040.JPG. The shots don't look right and i'm not sure what you call it? Anyone know whats wrong and how to fix it? Thanks! :)

The photo looks blurry and the video looks like there is lots of pixels, e.g it's trying to fit in the grouting on the tiles on a drive.

I also found nothing wrong with either photo even with an enlarged photo everything was sharp.

New pilot and I don't know much about cameras. I was taking some pictures today and my shots look like this: DJI_0041.MP4 and DJI_0040.JPG. The shots don't look right and i'm not sure what you call it? Anyone know whats wrong and how to fix it? Thanks! :)

What you are seeing is a combination of compression artifacts due to shooting in JPG, the camera is slightly out of focus (use AF but make sure you pick a focus point before triggering the shutter), and you probably left it in full Auto which explains the non-native ISO setting of 118. I also tend to stick to F7.1 or higher when shooting full manual even though I know it makes very little difference with such a wide angle lens. This picture was shot at a wide open aperture of 2.8 which means the focus has to be perfect to make the entire scene tack sharp, but a shutter speed of 1/120 which means you would probably have been safe pushing the aperture to 3.5 or higher without having to worry about the effects of camera shake. The buildings at the edges of the scene are slightly blurry (roof lines, windows, etc), a central focus point with your aperture set higher than 2.8 would have pulled those into the scene.

To get the absolute best quality footage out of these cameras you need to shoot in RAW, post process in Lightroom, set your AF point for each shot, and control the ISO and aperture by shooting with manual exposure. Unless you are doing this for paid work or want to convert the footage to prints, I say leave it all as Auto, stick to JPG and don't worry about the quality loss. After Facebook gets done further compressing it, no one will ever know what the original quality looked like anyway not to mention once you resize it to a more web friendly 1280x768 or 800x600 it will look tack sharp and picture perfect.

Reactions: AmberPaz
I was going to say stop down your pic and lower your iso to 100 but herein2014 had already perfectly given you the correct advice, but being that the lens is nowhere near the quality of say my Canon 50mm f/1.2L lens, it is still optical glass and capable of remarkable quality. Your focus is a little soft and if able, shoot in RAW as Jared Polin says to recover as much detail as possible in post. I can clearly see what the OP is talking about

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic