New Pilot - Calibration and a few other questions

Reaction score
Hello all,
Just bought my new Phantom Vision a few days ago, had my first flight that went well. 2nd flight not so good! I have a few questions:

Do you have to calibrate every time you fly? I thought when I calibrated the first time, when I flew my second flight I would not need to? As soon as I took off the copter veered left and crashed. Once I calibrated again I was fine. Please let me know

Second question: What is the distance you can fly before losing signal, and if you lose signal, what does the copter do?

Third question: Maybe I have not read up enough yet, but what about frequencies? Has anyone had any interference with any other radio controlled item?

Thank you,
Steve

Do you have to calibrate every time you fly?
You should do the following calibrations before your first flight and after installing new firmware:

- IMU
- Remote Controller
- Compass

Check out this thread for more information on when to re-do the compass calibration:
Compass Calibration, A Complete Primer | DJI Phantom Forum

You should also re-do the IMU calibration if your Phantom gets knocked around or you crash.

What is the distance you can fly before losing signal
Countless factors affect the max distance. You can find the advertised range in DJI's specs.

if you lose signal, what does the copter do?
If the remote controller signal is lost, your Phantom will return to the last recorded home point if it has 6+ satellites. If it has less than 6 satellites, it'll auto land at its current location. If the battery is critically low, it'll also land at its current location.

Has anyone had any interference with any other radio controlled item?
It's best to never fly near other things you feel might interfere with your Phantom.

Last edited:
Hello all,
Just bought my new Phantom Vision a few days ago, had my first flight that went well. 2nd flight not so good! I have a few questions:

Do you have to calibrate every time you fly? I thought when I calibrated the first time, when I flew my second flight I would not need to? As soon as I took off the copter veered left and crashed. Once I calibrated again I was fine. Please let me know

Second question: What is the distance you can fly before losing signal, and if you lose signal, what does the copter do?

Third question: Maybe I have not read up enough yet, but what about frequencies? Has anyone had any interference with any other radio controlled item?

Thank you,
Steve

I calibrate every time I fly, even if its a few hours later in the same place. Make sure you get the confirmation light signals. You don't need to calibrate the IMU unless new firmware, parts or crash. The rules say line of sight. Don't fly it if you can't see it. If you've calibrated and lose signal it'll return home or land where it is. But if its returning, it ca't see things that are in its way. If you flown around to the other side of a building and lose signal it'll crash into the building trying to return. I stay away from high RF and EMI generating sources -- i.e. radio towers and high voltage power lines. At Mt Wilson in Calif, the RF is so strong, people's remote locking car keys don't work.

You should do the following calibrations before your first flight and after installing new firmware:

- IMU
- Remote Controller
- Compass

Check out this thread for more information on when to re-do the compass calibration:
http://www.phantompilots.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=32829

You should also re-do the IMU calibration if your Phantom gets knocked around or you crash.

Countless factors affect the max distance. You can find the advertised range in DJI's specs here:
http://www.dji.com/product/phantom-2-vision-plus/spec

If the remote controller signal is lost, your Phantom will return to the last recorded home point if it has 6+ satellites. If it has less than 6 satellites, it'll auto land at its current location. If the battery is critically low, it'll also land at its current location.

It's best to never fly near other things you feel might interfere with your Phantom.

- IMU
- Remote Controller
- Compass

http://www.phantompilots.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=32829

Countless factors affect the max distance. You can find the advertised range in DJI's specs here:
http://www.dji.com/product/phantom-2-vision-plus/spec

Thank you for the information, I really appreciate the help.

Another quick question, how do you install new firmware?

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic