New Pilot App Tutorial

Reaction score
Follow is a new introductory video on the Pilot App Upgrade-- a pretty good orientation for all the bells and whistles

Here is the video-- move the slider on the video back to the start-- Sorry about that
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Nice tutorial. Is it just me or did DJI just let this slide with little or no user guide? I just got my P3 and I was pretty intimidated by all the UI controls.

Thanks for taking the time to put this together! My P3A will be here Monday so I am studying up on it.

Bob,
Excellent tutorial - as Jay says, very little in the way of user guide - found out more on here than anything on the DJI documentation/site/videos.
Appreciate your time and effort!

Bob,
Excellent tutorial - as Jay says, very little in the way of user guide - found out more on here than anything on the DJI documentation/site/videos.
You are always welcome-- I spend a lot of time on You Tube collecting knowledge on the P3-- with regard to knowledge, you can go from the novice level to some advanced level of understanding the P3 and all it's functions and controls as well as all the problems, issues.:)

Bob,
Bob,
I found the PDF user guide within the Pilot app under the help menu. There is also a cool flight simulator app.

Thank you for posting. That is the best video I have seen for the P3. Just one question for anyone that knows the answer. I was filming the other night. I was filming at 3200 iso. I opened the advanced controls & set it to 100 iso. As soon as I closed it, it jumped back to 3200. My question is, once you close it, is it supposed to automatically go back to auto mode?

Thank you for posting. That is the best video I have seen for the P3. Just one question for anyone that knows the answer. I was filming the other night. I was filming at 3200 iso. I opened the advanced controls & set it to 100 iso. As soon as I closed it, it jumped back to 3200. My question is, once you close it, is it supposed to automatically go back to auto mode?

Pressing on the Camera settings (lower right) puts the settings into Manual mode (and turns the settings button blue) pressing it again puts it back into Auto mode (and turns the button black again). If you'd like to keep it in manual mode, and dismiss the settings screen, while in manual mode, simply swipe the settings screen to the left to dismiss it. Swipe right to bring it back.

Thanks Taz. I appreciate the advice. It was no big deal being open, just more clutter on the screen.

Another question: The tear-shaped H-button seems to allow me to select which location is Home: takeoff point or the controller location.
I assume this allows me to reset the controller home point if I move, right? And the takeoff home point never changes. So if I engage RTH, can I then select which home?

Another question: The tear-shaped H-button seems to allow me to select which location is Home: takeoff point or the controller location.
I assume this allows me to reset the controller home point if I move, right? And the takeoff home point never changes. So if I engage RTH, can I then select which home?

My understanding is that there is only one home point, so the auto home feature, when out of transmitter range, knows where to go. However, after the launch location has been set as the original home point, during flight, the home point can be changed to either the current aircraft location, or the current transmitter location, assuming your connected tablet has a form of GPS that the Pilot app will recognize and knows how to use. If not, it won't let you move it to the current transmitter location. The P3P transmitter itself, unlike the Inspire transmitter which does have built-in GPS, has no GPS built-in. If you change the home point to the aircraft, the elevation during return to home will use your Pilot app specified setting plus the current altitude of the aircraft above your launch location, adding them together, for safety, unless it is currently below your launch altitude.

The tear-shaped H-button seems to allow me to select which location is Home: takeoff point or the controller location.
Yes .. there are two choices for manually setting home point.
You can reset home point to the current location of the Phantom which can be useful if you don't want the P3 going back to the takeoff point in RTH or you can use it to set a safe point (and height) to RTH if the takeoff point has obstructions like trees where RTH could cause problems.
i-GpMJWTf-M.png

Or .. if you have a GPS enabled tablet you can choose Dynamic Home Point where the location of the controller becomes the home point and is updated every few seconds.
his can be useful in a situation where you are moving (like a boat or car) and you don't want RTH to take the P3 back to where home was. Now home will be wherever the controller (with GPS enabled tablet) was at the time RTH was initiated.
i-Kc6CFsq-M.png

"The mobile device's GPS signal is weak and its location cannot be acquired" is the message I keep getting with my WiFi only iPad Air 2, while connected to my iPhone 6+ and my Bluetooth connected Bad Elf Pro+ GPS device, when trying to reset the Home Point to the Transmitter location. However, to be clear, even if it was working, allowing the resetting of the Home Point to the Transmitter location, it is still not "Dynamic Home Point" like on the P2V+, but is only a manual resetting, each time you do it. It's static, not dynamic, as I understand it.

If you change the home point to the aircraft, the elevation during return to home will use your Pilot app specified setting plus the current altitude of the aircraft above your launch location, adding them together, for safety, unless it is currently below your launch altitude.

Actually this doesn't appear true in my experience. I've tested this on my P3P, and unless it's not working correctly, it IGNORES the altitude when setting home point to the aircraft's location. In other words, it DOES NOT climb to the RTH altitude above the altitude the P3 was at when current aircraft location was set, but only above the altitude it took off from. I've also noticed that if the P3 is less than 66 feet away from the home point, (measured horizontally--regardless of altitude) when RTH is initiated, it will land (straight down), instead of flying up to RTH altitude then flying over to the home point.

Or .. if you have a GPS enabled tablet you can choose Dynamic Home Point where the location of the controller becomes the home point and is updated every few seconds.

Meta4, how do you enable this feature? I can manually set Home Point to the tablet/phone location, but I don't know how to make it update automatically?

Last edited:
Actually this doesn't appear true in my experience. I've tested this on my P3P, and unless it's not working correctly, it IGNORES the altitude when setting home point to the aircraft's location. In other words, it DOES NOT climb to the RTH altitude above the altitude the P3 was at when current aircraft location was set, but only above the altitude it took off from. I've also noticed that if the P3 is less than 66 feet away from the home point, (measured horizontally--regardless of altitude) when RTH is initiated, it will land (straight down), instead of flying up to RTH altitude then flying over to the home point.

Meta4, how do you enable this feature? I can manually set Home Point to the tablet/phone location, but I don't know how to make it update automatically?
It is not well documented, but, according to bladestrike, who works in DJI tech support, within 60 feet of the transmitter, RTH is designed to only land in place. It will not climb to the RTH altitude or return to the Home Point, unless over 60 feet from the transmitter.

Also, Dynamic Home Point does not yet exist for the P3P. Assuming you can get the Home Point to reset to the transmitter position, it is Static, and not Dynamic, and won't update "automatically" and must be reset manually every time to update it.

As to the RTH altitude not adjusting for the altitude of the aircraft when resetting the Home Point to the aircraft position, it might be limited by your maximum height limitation specification in the app. I increased mine from 400 feet to 1,600 feet, even though I don't normally fly above 400 feet, just in case, but I haven't tested it yet, as you have. Just read about it, and what I read may have been incorrect. Certainly would be helpful to know, before changing it, if there has been a change in ground elevation, that might cause the original RTH altitude to not be high enough!

Last edited:
Thanks for the clarification on the Dynamic Home Point, GadgetGuy.

My height limit was set to 1600 feet when I tested this out. My RTH altitude was set to 400 feet. I reset my home point when the phantom was 200 feet up. When I initiated RTH, it flew up to 400 feet, (not 600 feet) then flew to the coordinates where I had set the new home-point. I'll test again using lower altitudes, as perhaps there's an inherent 400 foot limit--although the RTH altitude can be set to 1600 feet as well.

Thanks for your clarification, skyboysteve.
Your test sounds pretty definitive. The feature certainly has potential for disaster if not properly understood. If the altitude has changed significantly between your original home point, and the reset one, the original RTH altitude might be problematic. Even without resetting the RTH, if I descend over a cliff to an altitude more than 400 feet below me, and initiate RTH, will it first ascend to 800 feet above ground, if the RTH elevation was set to 400 feet above the Home Point at the top of the cliff at launch, even if the max height limit was set to 400 feet, or will it just crash into the cliff edge? That uncertainty is why I increased my max height to 1600 feet, even if I only fly to 400 feet above ground.

Congrats and thanks to all on this thread - one of the best and most helpful I've read, beginning with that incredible video. I'm still tweaking and enjoying my P1 but am keeping my eyes on this and other threads ...won't be long before I make the step up to a P3!!

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic