New Pilot, a few questions

Reaction score
Hi All

Im a new P4 Owned have only about 40 mins on the drone so far. I have been into RC Planes and Helis for many yrs and now moved into the drones with a P4 Advanced I purchased for my son and myself.

Im converting from a Mode1 flyer to Mode2, as this seems to be norm for all out of the box setups, so besides retraining my brain for Mode2, I am already feeling comfortable with the controls and general stability of the P4. I was out of beginner mode after the first battery.

I have a few questions
I was always a big fan of Expo for both Planes and Helis and was happy to see this included in the P4 Controllers, question is is it safe to change this while flying in P mode? (as well as other controller settings)

Is there any difference in the DJ App between the Apple and Android platforms? I have not yet decided on the tablet I will purchase, I prefer Android but read somewhere the Apple App is better can anyone of knowledge add to this or is this an urban legend?

Can you setup Dual Rates or the equivalent, be nice to be able to select a nice tame set of stick curves for photography and one for just flying to and from, My thoughts are this is what Sport mode is for and, then into Tripod mode for real smooth controls?

I already like this airframe but I'm still not comfortable with letting the software just take it over. But I do love the stability of it in P mode.

Cheers
Rockers

Hi All

Im a new P4 Owned have only about 40 mins on the drone so far. I have been into RC Planes and Helis for many yrs and now moved into the drones with a P4 Advanced I purchased for my son and myself.

Im converting from a Mode1 flyer to Mode2, as this seems to be norm for all out of the box setups, so besides retraining my brain for Mode2, I am already feeling comfortable with the controls and general stability of the P4. I was out of beginner mode after the first battery.

I have a few questions
I was always a big fan of Expo for both Planes and Helis and was happy to see this included in the P4 Controllers, question is is it safe to change this while flying in P mode? (as well as other controller settings)

Is there any difference in the DJ App between the Apple and Android platforms? I have not yet decided on the tablet I will purchase, I prefer Android but read somewhere the Apple App is better can anyone of knowledge add to this or is this an urban legend?

Can you setup Dual Rates or the equivalent, be nice to be able to select a nice tame set of stick curves for photography and one for just flying to and from, My thoughts are this is what Sport mode is for and, then into Tripod mode for real smooth controls?

I already like this airframe but I'm still not comfortable with letting the software just take it over. But I do love the stability of it in P mode.

Cheers
Rockers

You can play with expo etc as you would with normal rc flying and tailor it to suit. I can from an rc heli background so initial flying seems rather strange as so much emphasis seemed to be in the machine and not me. After over a year of flying I have less and less actual flying input, the drone takes care of that so I can concentrate on stills and video

I little pre and during flight common sense is all that’s needed

Being able to fly is a great backup but for me now, that’s all it is

Reactions: Rockers
is is it safe to change this while flying in P mode? (as well as other controller settings)
Maybe? I haven't heard of anyone trying that.
It's a common myth.
With Apple there was more standardisation in the devices while you get all kinds of Android machines.
The idea that Android didn't work as well came from users running sub-standard machines rather than an issue with the OS.
Now Apple have advanced their processors and the DJI Go app has put on weight, you get trouble trying to run the app on an older, lower spec Apple device, just as you do with Android.
But run it on a device with a fast processor and sufficient RAM and it runs perfectly on either.
The differences in the apps are trivial. They are mostly the same.

Reactions: JoBe and Rockers
But run it on a device with a fast processor and sufficient RAM and it runs perfectly on either.

Speaking from some experience, I would agree with Meta. The DJI Go apps tend to be very resource intensive. If you're running them on a device that does not have a sufficient processor and/or sufficient avaliable memory, you'll likely have problems. I initially used an Android phone with a 1.2ghz dual-core processor and 1gb of available memory. The device would overheat and crash regularly when running the GO app. I then upgraded to a Samsung Galaxy with a fast 2.5ghz quad-core processor and 3gb of available memory. Problem solved. You may want to check the DJI website for the list of devices approved to run the DJI apps. Good luck.

Reactions: Rockers
Reactions: JoBe and Rockers
just to add you can change the mode to something custom so you dont have to retrain ur brain to do something its not used to doing.

Im not concerned about that, in fact I wanted to swap not long after I learnt to fly RC planes in my 20's, I just seems more natural but. Mode 1 was Popular in the UK and Europe back in the days, hence me (Australia) picking that up at the club (most were mode 1 flyers)

But yes i like the way you can just assign whatever you like

When I got my Phantom 4 Pro I tried to load the dji software on an android ellipsis pad. I would not even begin to load. I ended up buying a iPad mini 4 (128 GB model) with cell phone service. So far it has worked with no problems. Also, it fits exactly in the slot in the P4P case.

Hi Wayne... I was hoping to use my iPad 4 for my flying but it won't work - too old. I was using my iPhone 6S Plus and it was working flawlessly. Problem is that these old eyes aren't what they used to be and I found it still too small. With the iPad starting to show it's age I decided that I need a new tablet. I was shocked when I started shopping around and saw the price of the iPad. Totally out of my budget. I have always been an Apple fan but with the price of the Samsung being half of the iPad I decided to make the switch. Apart from one little twitch which is certainly not keeping me from flying, and hopefully it will be addressed by DJI soon, everything else seems to be working as it should. I was a little confused when doing the update but that has been taken care of. The next test will be to actually fly my P4 and see how it behaves. But I may be OK with that too if I go by what the screen says when I start up... everything shows normal and it says that I'm ready to fly. We'll see how it goes next week.

I have recently gone with the DJI Crystalsky tablet. It has enough processor to run the App and is brighter for daylight operation. Prior to that I used a Samsung A10 which worked fine, but was washed out on bright sunny days even with a sunshade.

I have recently gone with the DJI Crystalsky tablet. It has enough processor to run the App and is brighter for daylight operation. Prior to that I used a Samsung A10 which worked fine, but was washed out on bright sunny days even with a sunshade.
In my case, I needed a tablet for a lot of other uses besides flying so I had no choice but to take the road that I took. But maybe a way down the road I'll look into getting something that is exclusive to the P4.

Reactions: AndrewCCM
First of all, welcome to this wonderful forum and the Phantom community.

I am 13 years old and flew my first Phantom when I was 10. Before that, I did fly Fixed Wing R/C Planes (Some Fpv, some not)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik