New Phantom V1.1.1

Reaction score
I just got an update email from Helipal about an updated Phantom. Here are the details:

DJI Phantom latest update (2013/Oct-Nov)
Upgraded to NAZA V2 Flight Controller
Greatly increase stability, NAZA V2 can be plugged with gadgets like the DJI iOSD Mini (Flight Data to overlay on FPV system) or 2.4Ghz DataLink Module so that Phantom can use waypoint function. However, the stock Phantom cannot plug an play with 2.4G datalink because there is no CAN-BUS connector on the new main board. So you need to purchase a PMU for Naza-M V2 to connect 2.4G datalink. Also, 2.4Ghz datalink sold separately (coming soon)

Dual Antenna (Futaba FASST standard ready)
It came with a new receiver, if you have a Futaba FASST standard transmitter, you can use that to bind the Phantom, for how to bind, you need to checkout DJI's website.

Self-tightening Propellers
Many players have the propellers flew away because they forgot to secure the propellers, so DJI updated with Self-Tightening props, that helps!

Comes with Gimbal Tilt Angle Lever
If you have a gimbal on the Phantom, you can control the angle with this little lever

I just picked mine up Saturday. It does have the dual antennas and the new prop nuts. Does this mean I have this version of the Phantom? Im sorry if that is a dumb question. Thank you.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

Just got this email too, but isnt there meant to be a v2 phantom? I was hoping for the larger battery shell to mod my v1 phantom with. :mrgreen:

Some people have said they bought v1.2 phantoms already so its all getting a little confusing, interesting with the Futaba FASST receiver but I doubt its going to be as strong as an actual futaba receiver.

It is strange but the new Phantom version shows 1.1.1 not 1.2 Another DJI's out of rules on version notation ...

So, does this mean the new "Vision" will have these upgrades plus the camera?

The vision has a bit more to it, I saw in a video somewhere with colin how the led's worked together to give info more then just the single rear led. Also they had some pretty interesting looking 9 inch props which must be pretty good seeing the flight times possible with the vision at 20 to 25 min with a 4400mah battery.

I would assume there is still a newer v2 phantom coming with the larger props and battery, not real huge on the dji plugin large battery but bigger space should give some good options for other batteries.

Here is the link FYI:

http://www.helipal.com/dji-phantom-gps-drone-rtf.html?email=20131007

dji-phantom-v111-big2.jpg

Let me clear things up a little (As I see it).

DJI released the phantom V1.
This is a ready to go quad which is aimed at the RTF Air Photography market, and designed from the-out set to work with the GoPro. Better, more stable, images can be obtained if a gimbal is bought for extra cash. Although for most hobbyists the supplied kit will suffice .
It was quite obvious from an early time that there were a few improvements that could help, So DJI has incorporated these in the production line. These are then referred to as V1.1 etc (I am assuming again that V1.1.1 etc would be minor changes, and that for slightly bigger changes V1.2.1 etc would be used). So, essentially, the bigger the number the newer, And the closer to the start of that number the greater the difference. (I am guessing, but it appears to make sense to me.

The bigger jump, will be a re-modelling of the Phantom . This will include new operating frequencies, add on software telemetrics etc feed back to iPhone/iPad, etc, and a camera (yet to be seen, But appears from you tube footage, to be not quite up to spec with the GoPro, and will not ship with a gimbal). This will be the Phantom Vision. Aimed at people who want to fly great RTF quads, and take good Aerial pics. BUT not the main entry level Aerial Photography Pro. And with a slightly cheaper price tag attached to it.

This is where I ASSUME ( and this is ALL speculation) the Phantom V2 will come in.

I believe that it will be similar to a Phantom Vision, but without the camera. Allowing you to add the Zenmuse Gimbal and the GoPro camera at your discretion. Thereby giving you all the pros of the new system AND the Pros of the old, BUT (Hopefully) none of the short comings of the old.

However in order to get the better quality images (If that is what you want) you will have to shell out a little extra cash for the extra kit, which will give you better results. Which is what you need to do at the moment with the DJI Phantom V1 etc.

Start saving guys, I know I am.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rht-QarvEM4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KK9FRo_JPDs

love the ability to bind to futaba tx. one thing about the below. i might be wrong, but i think the mini iosd connects not to the nava v2 but to the v2 pmu, so if this version doesn't come with the v2 pmu, you're going to need to buy one to use the iosd. can anyone confirm?

fleckster said:
I just got an update email from Helipal about an updated Phantom. Here are the details:

Greatly increase stability, NAZA V2 can be plugged with gadgets like the DJI iOSD Mini (Flight Data to overlay on FPV system) or 2.4Ghz DataLink Module so that Phantom can use waypoint function. However, the stock Phantom cannot plug an play with 2.4G datalink because there is no CAN-BUS connector on the new main board. So you need to purchase a PMU for Naza-M V2 to connect 2.4G datalink. Also, 2.4Ghz datalink sold separately (coming soon)

Dual Antenna (Futaba FASST standard ready)
It came with a new receiver, if you have a Futaba FASST standard transmitter, you can use that to bind the Phantom, for how to bind, you need to checkout DJI's website.

Self-tightening Propellers
Many players have the propellers flew away because they forgot to secure the propellers, so DJI updated with Self-Tightening props, that helps!

Comes with Gimbal Tilt Angle Lever
If you have a gimbal on the Phantom, you can control the angle with this little lever

linter said:
love the ability to bind to futaba tx. one thing about the below. i might be wrong, but i think the mini iosd connects not to the nava v2 but to the v2 pmu, so if this version doesn't come with the v2 pmu, you're going to need to buy one to use the iosd. can anyone confirm?

fleckster said:

Thats rather confusing and first it says NAZA v2 can have extras like the iOSD mini but then it says there is no canbus port so you still need the PMU even with NAZA v2.

I just installed the mini iOSD today looks pretty cool, havent flown it yet and likely wont get a chance for a few days at least due to gale force winds. If there is no canbus port then you cant connect the osd unit.

Ok, so looking at the video's I find one point rather strange. Currently, the system operates on 2.4 and if you add an aftermarket FPV set up that is on 5.8. Colin indicates that the Phantom Vision switches that. Control on 5.8 and video on 2.4. Is that only for the Vision? I would almost think so as changing the Phantom 2 to 5.8 would mean it wouldn't work with a 2.4 Futaba transmitter. :geek:

fleckster said:
Ok, so looking at the video's I find one point rather strange. Currently, the system operates on 2.4 and if you add an aftermarket FPV set up that is on 5.8. Colin indicates that the Phantom Vision switches that. Control on 5.8 and video on 2.4. Is that only for the Vision? I would almost think so as changing the Phantom 2 to 5.8 would mean it wouldn't work with a 2.4 Futaba transmitter. :geek:

Yes, the new Vision is 5.8 so a 2.4 transmitter will not work. The video downlink is at 2.4. Since it already transmits video to an ios or android device, you wouldn't need a FPV transmitter. Just from what I can tell.

More confusing ?
Now some dealers are selling new phantom labeled version 1.3 :eek:
Naza V1, double antena, no tilt lever, futaba ready rx, props white/black nuts , throttle centered.

jjmansell said:
fleckster said:

Yes, the new Vision is 5.8 so a 2.4 transmitter will not work. The video downlink is at 2.4. Since it already transmits video to an ios or android device, you wouldn't need a FPV transmitter. Just from what I can tell.

So using the vision your pretty much stuck with the stock controller or you need to get an aftermarket radio and UHF adapter or something. The vision looks pretty much a RTH kit that isnt very moddable and to be honest if you get it your getting it as is and I dont see much reason to need to make changes to it. You could get a UHF radio setup for the vision possibly but then it would all depend on the range of the 2.4 data link on the vision. If it cant go a few km then its pretty pointless switching the radio to a lower frequency.

jumanoc said:
More confusing ?
Now some dealers are selling new phantom labeled version 1.3 :eek:
Naza V1, double antena, no tilt lever, futaba ready rx, props white/black nuts , throttle centered.

And in the UK version 1.2 is now replaced with 1.2.1! Only difference I think the special self- tightening props.

Just a quickie ref V nos. and what the new V2 will/will not be.
The new Vision is shipped in a box marked "PHANTOM 2 VISION" it is therefore reasonable to presume that it is just V2 with a camera therefore the V2 will be a "VISION" without a camera.
Hope that helps..
Watch this space !

I think my Phantom is fast reaching "antique car" status. Will we soon see Concours de Elegance for plain old vanilla, unpainted version 0.000000000000000001 Phantoms? :p

I have no means of comparison, but my Phantom is V1.1.1 according to this, since I have all of these features. I have only had mine up a few times, but I have to say that even using my old GoPro Hero (the original version) I have not gotten ANY jello effect in video footage at all. Admittedly I have not subjected the system to any hard or rapid manoeuvres, it looks extremely stable, and the video is very nice and smooth. My very first flight was in a sustained 10 mph wind, with gusts to 15, and I had no issue with control, take off or landing, other than needing to either get airborne ASAP after starting the props to prevent it from blowing over, or shutting down fully on touchdown to avoid the same thin.

With regard to take-offs and landings, my old, OLD R/C airplane teacher from 25 years ago taught me one important lesson, which I find exceedingly applicable today, even to the Phantom: Fly the plane OFF and ONTO the ground."

That means the instant you start up the prop(s), you study the machine for any motion (wanted or unwanted) and make requisite corrections with the sticks. That means (for example) on a R/C plane on a runway in a heavy wind, you hold down elevator to keep the machine pegged to the ground until you INTEND to take off.

Same thing applies (only a bit differently) to the Phantom. You CAN gradually increase the throttle and take off smoothly and slowly, if you are actively FLYING the machine while it is still on the ground! Give whatever input on the sticks to keep it level, even while the skids are in the grass.

Same thing as it settles back onto the ground. FLY it into its final resting place. Do NOT stop making stick inputs to keep it level until the props STOP. That ancient wisdom has served me very well thus far with my Phantom. I hope you also find it useful. My old teacher (he has GOT to be dead by now) would look down and smile approvingly.

PF

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj