New phantom rough landings

Reaction score
got my P3 the other day. Absolutely love it over my 2+. The pilot app alone makes a big difference.
The only problem I'm having is when I hit the ground and try to power down I get a quick increase in power and sometimes the quad wants to do a flip.

Any thoughts?

Here is first video from beach this morning in 1080 with pro version.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

when I hit the ground and try to power down I get a quick increase in power and sometimes the quad wants to do a flip
Try holding the left stick down for 3-5 seconds to shut down the motors.

I always hand land. Simply catch it in one hand (carefully) and then use the other hand to push the throttle stick all the way down. Hold still for 3 seconds and it will shut down. (Haven't done this with P3 yet, but I assume it's about the same. Have done it over 300 times with various P2s).

nhoover, that works well for my P2V+ too. I'm assuming it'll be even easier to do with the P3 since it's much more stable.

Another tip would be to switch to ATTI when you're a few feet above the ground. That way, when you go to land (assuming you're not hand catching now), the GPS will not try to reposition your Phantom. However, this might not even happen with the P3 though since the sensor will most likely be handling the positioning when that low to the ground.

Hand landing is def. the way to go. I've been flying a Phantom for a grand total of 2 days and even I can put it right in my hand gently. Folks who have experience coming from a P2 will have no problems with this whatsoever.

As mentioned, hand land. I started to do this some time ago and will never land it on the ground. Just no good reason. With the P3 it is even easier. Just bring the P3 about 15 feet away and hover it about 2' above head height. Make sure it's stable and then walk over and firmly grab one of the landing legs _right where it meets the body_. Move the left stick down and hold it down until the motors shut off. Don't lower your arm until the motors are shut down. Then just walk away. You will never accidentally tip when landing.

Will left stick alone power them down? Or hold left down then both together inward?
Left stick alone will do it. Just hold it down for 3 seconds or so. As long as the phantom detects that it is not descending the motors will stop.

So in the last week of playing with this thing:
-Hand landing is just as easy (if not easier due to what feels like wider landing gear) than the P2V+. Grab it at a comfy height. Hold it still and level (don't grasp it too tightly) and just hold the left stick down 3-5 seconds.
-You can drift a bit with autoland depending on the environment, so make sure you're really clear from anything (I trimmed a stray vine, no harm done, but lesson learned).
-It manually lands very well, at the very end, do not touch the right stick, just the left stick. Hold it down for a few seconds and it will turn off.
-Don't CSC to land.

Will left stick alone power them down? Or hold left down then both together inward?

Don't hold both sticks inward together. I did this on one landing, I wasn't thinking straight and the P3 flipped over in the grass. No damage done just had to wipe a little dirt from the props and body.
Always left stick down slowly till its down then just hold and it'll cut off.

Thanks guys, I never knew. Been flying over a year and was sick of having someone grab it for me when on the boat.

Appreciated!

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic