New P3P and you guys are scaring me

It is so easy to fly you'll want to be careful not to become over confident. I've had mine for a month and launched it on Thanksgiving day to show some friends. Immediately after launch The app reported a compass error and loss of GPS, the wind got ahold and blew it into a tree and it crashed to rocks 20 feet below. Some minor damage and broken props but with new props it still flies great. RTH is also very handy as I've flown out of range numerous times without worry. Just be careful because it has landed 12 feet away from the launch point which would be bad news on the boat dock. after the crash I too decided to order the carbon fiber gimbal guard.

I already have my CF gimbal guard along with aluminum gimbal saver. I just need to install them. I was busy ordering things before the P3P even arrived.

61rHOXFvmgL._SY355_.jpg

41fxN8MEDKL.jpg

If this forum was about surfing, half the posts would be about shark attacks and drownings.
But you know that these are very rare so you shouldn't keep out of the water because of forum chatter.
Same with the Phantom.
Plus .... only believe half of what you read on internet forums.
There are a lot of misinformed and confused people posting and a whole range from experts to some that would have trouble tying their shoelaces.

Read and understand your manual, practice RTH and cancelling to resume control.
Fly in an open area away from trees and buildings and you've eliminated the causes of most crashes.

what we all missed is " the wife " the real question is does the wife have issues that you bought it- I really don't think this has anything to do with flying it. second you have buyers remorse on a large ticket item.
Go Fly its cheaper than therapy.!

Question. We know you love it. How's does the wife feel about it? Mine is kinda "eh" about it. She just doesn't get it. lol Anyway... Keep it, love it, enjoy it, fly it!!! :)
I think your right on the money Mario. (go jump on his wife and squash her and nor more problem ) lol

I am on my third Phantom, now a P3p. The first two are flying fine with friends. I fly DIY 3d quads and fixed wing. I don't think there is anyone with experience that does not have a little twingy while flying. Stuff happens and it is best to be prepared with both skills and preflight checklist. Most crashed are operator error. Usually because of not reading the manual. Litchy has a good .pdf on their site that covers their software but it is very similar to DJI Go as it is built on the DJI software developer kit code.

I want to say hi to everyone. Been following threads for about a month as a lurker. The Black Friday deal at Best Buy was too good to pass up. I have been wanting a Phantom for over a year now and this made the deal sweet. With the deal I basically got the pro for the same price as a advanced with extra battery, win.

The part that really makes me scarred is all these post for firmware issues, vibrations, cracks, and such.

Bring you guys up to speed.

Ordered on thanksgiving (did not think to pickup in person and was too late to cancel on Friday) just received my P3P yesterday afternoon. Extra battery should be here today. I downloaded DJI app iOS after ordering and setting up account. Then after reading about issues I ordered uavbits strong arm pieces from Amazon, will be here today. I also ordered a carbon fiber gimbal guard and the gimbal saver metal piece.

So first thing I checked before opening box was picture of P3 to make sure it was new motor design, which it was, perfect. Got the bird all unboxed and was like a kid on xmas morning. I looked it over for any cracks or defects and none I can see.

So I proceed to charge the controller first as it had on bar. Went to dinner and returned, almost done charging. Then charged up the main battery and installed into the P3. I turned both on and connected with the go app to see all the settings. After playing in the menus battery was around 93%.

This is the kicker, before the battery finished I'm surfing the forums and having second thoughts with all these issues. So I told the wife I might return it and not take a chance. Well I ended up taking it outside to do a small test flight at almost 11pm. That was very nervous but was the greatest feelings flying just messing around under 50 ft and very close by. Take off and landing done manually as I have many years of RC and a few years with cheap quads, so to me it was very easy to fly. After 14 minutes and 40% left I decided to land and call it a night.

So should I return it and wait or use and enjoy? Should I just fly with the firmware it came with and wait?

Firmware

App 2.4.2
Aircraft 1.4.10
RC 1.3.20

Thank you.
Luckyly never had all those scary issues.
Just have fun.
If you have it you can afford it.
Madre

I want to say hi to everyone. Been following threads for about a month as a lurker. The Black Friday deal at Best Buy was too good to pass up. I have been wanting a Phantom for over a year now and this made the deal sweet. With the deal I basically got the pro for the same price as a advanced with extra battery, win.

The part that really makes me scarred is all these post for firmware issues, vibrations, cracks, and such.

Ordered on thanksgiving (did not think to pickup in person and was too late to cancel on Friday) just received my P3P yesterday afternoon. Extra battery should be here today. I downloaded DJI app iOS after ordering and setting up account. Then after reading about issues I ordered uavbits strong arm pieces from Amazon, will be here today. I also ordered a carbon fiber gimbal guard and the gimbal saver metal piece.

So first thing I checked before opening box was picture of P3 to make sure it was new motor design, which it was, perfect. Got the bird all unboxed and was like a kid on xmas morning. I looked it over for any cracks or defects and none I can see.

So I proceed to charge the controller first as it had on bar. Went to dinner and returned, almost done charging. Then charged up the main battery and installed into the P3. I turned both on and connected with the go app to see all the settings. After playing in the menus battery was around 93%.

This is the kicker, before the battery finished I'm surfing the forums and having second thoughts with all these issues. So I told the wife I might return it and not take a chance. Well I ended up taking it outside to do a small test flight at almost 11pm. That was very nervous but was the greatest feelings flying just messing around under 50 ft and very close by. Take off and landing done manually as I have many years of RC and a few years with cheap quads, so to me it was very easy to fly. After 14 minutes and 40% left I decided to land and call it a night.

So should I return it and wait or use and enjoy? Should I just fly with the firmware it came with and wait?

Firmware

App 2.4.2
Aircraft 1.4.10
RC 1.3.20

Thank you.
FLY IT, SISSY!!!

Like I said, it's staying. I have been flying it between rain showers here in s Fla. I expect my cast to be here today too, just need this rain to stop today.

The wife has nothing to do with it actually. I have a very understanding wife for over 23 years, one of the reasons we stay together.

All the problems and issues you are reading and hearing about come from the 10 percent that may have some issues. I bet you will find there are 90 percent of us that are flying and having a blast doing it and with no issues other than a few pilot errors here and there. If your writing for perfection you will have to wait on the Heavenly Father.

Firmware

App 2.4.2
Aircraft 1.4.10
RC 1.3.20

Thank you.
Bluer101, I don't know why but your statement brought to mind a very famous quote from one of our past Presidents and I think it bears reading here. Don't be a timid soul, dare to be great, and if you fail, pull yourself up by your bootstraps. Here's the quote:

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.”

Theodore Roosevelt

Soldier on, fly your heart out. The media flies their drones, illegally I might add, and yet they reserve the right to make the rest of us out to be terrorists (re: NYC's policy to place drone flies who fly in public parks on their terrorist watch list shared with DHS).

Bluer101, I don't know why but your statement brought to mind a very famous quote from one of our past Presidents and I think it bears reading here. Don't be a timid soul, dare to be great, and if you fail, pull yourself up by your bootstraps. Here's the quote:

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.”

Theodore Roosevelt

Soldier on, fly your heart out. The media flies their drones, illegally I might add, and yet they reserve the right to make the rest of us out to be terrorists (re: NYC's policy to place drone flies who fly in public parks on their terrorist watch list shared with DHS).

Really?! OMG... is this thread still going on about a guy who's afraid to fly his R/C quadcopter? Now we're throwing out great quotes by Theodore "f'ing" Roosevelt to inspire this guy to go outside and fly his drone without fear?! Ok. lol

Last edited:
Reactions: phantom13flyer
Really?! OMG... is this thread still going on about a guy who's afraid to fly his R/C quadcopter? Now we're throwing out great quotes by Theodore "f'ing" Roosevelt to inspire this guy to go outside and fly his drone without fear?! Ok. lol
Since you like quotes:

The only thing to fear is fear itself.
Or something like that. :)

Sorry, didn' t know you were the admin or at least the arbiter of when a thread is to end. My apologies, next time we all should check with you first before we post. Perhaps you could review our posts before we hit "Post Reply". Or maybe you could just bite me with great zeal.

Sorry, didn' t know you were the admin or at least the arbiter of when a thread is to end. My apologies, next time we all should check with you first before we post. Perhaps you could review our posts before we hit "Post Reply". Or maybe you could just bite me with great zeal.

lol...sorry you're right! I was sorta of upset earlier and found the earlier threads kind of annoying and I vented out. Just figured how ridiculous it was for people in the forums to have to encourage a man to go out and fly his Phantom that he's afraid to fly. Anyway... I guess that's why people come here to seek advice on such matters. Got any other quotes?

Last edited:
yyyyyyyyyyyaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

lol...sorry you're right! I was sorta of upset earlier and found the earlier threads kind of annoying and I vented out. Just figured how ridiculous it was for people in the forums to have to encourage a man to go out and fly his Phantom that he's afraid to fly. Anyway... I guess that's why people come here to seek advice on such matters. Got any other quotes?
ya, I went to the auto parts store and the genius behind the counter referred to my truck's Cadillac converter... Genius-speak for catalytic converter.

If you think hiring a professional to do the job is expensive, wait until you see how much it costs to hire an amateur. - Red Adair

"I like my grits al dente."
Bobby Flay when making shrimp and grits. Al dente grits is like eating sand.

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's rainin'.

2014 Golden Globes Awards...
As his Cecil B. DeMille Lifetime Achievement award is being announced in L.A., Woody Allen will be in NY condescendingly explaining Freud to Soon-Yi. (Mia Farrow's adopted daughter that he allegedly defiled)
- Jack P. Moore

"Cry in the dojo, laugh on the battlefield."
  • Ninja (and Navy SEAL) proverb

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others and I require the same from them."
J.B. Books "The Shootist"

When you've done things right, most will think you've done nothing at all.
God from Futurama

How's that for a few quotes?

Reactions: bobmyers
I didn't read in your piece that you read the manual beforehand or that you watched all the training videos. If you did, then just get out there and fly, practice, get experienced, and have fun.

ya, I went to the auto parts store and the genius behind the counter referred to my truck's Cadillac converter... Genius-speak for catalytic converter.

If you think hiring a professional to do the job is expensive, wait until you see how much it costs to hire an amateur. - Red Adair

"I like my grits al dente."
Bobby Flay when making shrimp and grits. Al dente grits is like eating sand.

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's rainin'.

2014 Golden Globes Awards...
As his Cecil B. DeMille Lifetime Achievement award is being announced in L.A., Woody Allen will be in NY condescendingly explaining Freud to Soon-Yi. (Mia Farrow's adopted daughter that he allegedly defiled)
- Jack P. Moore

"Cry in the dojo, laugh on the battlefield."
  • Ninja (and Navy SEAL) proverb

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others and I require the same from them."
J.B. Books "The Shootist"

When you've done things right, most will think you've done nothing at all.
God from Futurama

How's that for a few quotes?

:)

Reactions: sithphelan

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dragonslair