New P3P and you guys are scaring me

Reaction score
I want to say hi to everyone. Been following threads for about a month as a lurker. The Black Friday deal at Best Buy was too good to pass up. I have been wanting a Phantom for over a year now and this made the deal sweet. With the deal I basically got the pro for the same price as a advanced with extra battery, win.

The part that really makes me scarred is all these post for firmware issues, vibrations, cracks, and such.

Bring you guys up to speed.

Ordered on thanksgiving (did not think to pickup in person and was too late to cancel on Friday) just received my P3P yesterday afternoon. Extra battery should be here today. I downloaded DJI app iOS after ordering and setting up account. Then after reading about issues I ordered uavbits strong arm pieces from Amazon, will be here today. I also ordered a carbon fiber gimbal guard and the gimbal saver metal piece.

So first thing I checked before opening box was picture of P3 to make sure it was new motor design, which it was, perfect. Got the bird all unboxed and was like a kid on xmas morning. I looked it over for any cracks or defects and none I can see.

So I proceed to charge the controller first as it had on bar. Went to dinner and returned, almost done charging. Then charged up the main battery and installed into the P3. I turned both on and connected with the go app to see all the settings. After playing in the menus battery was around 93%.

This is the kicker, before the battery finished I'm surfing the forums and having second thoughts with all these issues. So I told the wife I might return it and not take a chance. Well I ended up taking it outside to do a small test flight at almost 11pm. That was very nervous but was the greatest feelings flying just messing around under 50 ft and very close by. Take off and landing done manually as I have many years of RC and a few years with cheap quads, so to me it was very easy to fly. After 14 minutes and 40% left I decided to land and call it a night.

So should I return it and wait or use and enjoy? Should I just fly with the firmware it came with and wait?

Firmware

App 2.4.2
Aircraft 1.4.10
RC 1.3.20

Thank you.

So should I return it and wait or use and enjoy?
The firmware you're using now is stable. The current firmware version is stable too. Upgrading is purely optional though.

You lost me on the return and/or wait part. You bought it to fly it, right? I think you know what to do :)

Reactions: Suspended Moments
No quadcopter is perfect. If you're waiting for all past and future kinks to be worked out, you will never fly. Most people do not have an issue with the kinks you mentioned above.

Please update the Aircraft and RC firmware to the latest first.

You are experienced flier and wanted to have P3 since long so why do you think to return it? Fly and enjoy.

hi bluer101 welcome buddy I would say keep it only a small amount of people having
issues with bits n pieces. I only had a random screen disconnection with update 1.4
and wasn't putting the phantom out to far 876 meters. I have updated to 1.5 but
the weather has me pinned in at the moment

I would continue to have fun with it as it is. Do soft landings and protect the gimbal. I have been very critical of some decisions DJI made recently but all in all it is a nice bird. Any one with experience in RC will appreciate what the P3 can do. I agree with the last poster go have fun.

Update it, there are great step by step videos available on how to do it. Then, go fly it. I have an original P3P, early model if you will, I fly it all the time, I have no cracks. Make sure your Return To Home altitude is set according to your terrain and needs. Mine is 91 meters which is about 300 feet high. Do not run into trees or buildings and try not to fly around people so you do not accidentally injure someone.

My advice is to wait awhile to update. There is no hurry. regardless how good you might be at flying it's better to learn and get use to everything. In most all crash cases, they took place due to something not being done properly. Go fly record some video, takes some pic's, ect...

Reactions: JKDSensei
Thanks everyone.

It's one of those things you really want and then you get it but really torn with issues you read about. The price is right but it's still nothing to joke about.

I going to keep it and not update right now while I get used to it. It works so no reason to mess with it, right. Should I install the strong arms and metal gimbal saver to be safe?

Here at work and can't wait to get home and fly, :)

Thanks everyone.

I going to keep it and not update right now while I get used to it. It works so no reason to mess with it, right. Should I install the strong arms and metal gimbal saver to be safe?

I don't have the strong arms, I just make slow and steady adjustments. Screw the thumb controllers all the way out for better control and go for it. You bought the strong arms and gimble savers so put them on. As far as the update right now? If it ain't broke... You know ;)

You should be scared...very scared!! Only joking like in anything in life if you go into something scared, frightened, nervous etc etc you are more likely to come off worse off. Be positive there is a minute amount of problems that these forums pick up on. The majority are fine and having fun some people have to much time on their hands to rant on about how **** DJI are etc, sound off their conspiricy theories, just go out and fly the bloody thing. Have fun but be sensible!! But dont get me wrong if you do have a problems this forum has some great people on here to give you great advice.

You're going to love it. I know you will be very careful. Go thru all the settings and experiment a little. Stay low and get used to it. If you get too close to something, don't panic. Hover, and slowly rise above the obstacle. **One thing I learned, is that if you DO crash, and the motors are still running, don't try to turn off the battery. Move your Remote sticks to lower opposite corners to shut the motors off. Ive got a prop gash on my arm to remind me of that.

Reactions: alokbhargava
Thanks everyone.

It's one of those things you really want and then you get it but really torn with issues you read about. The price is right but it's still nothing to joke about.

Question. We know you love it. How's does the wife feel about it? Mine is kinda "eh" about it. She just doesn't get it. lol Anyway... Keep it, love it, enjoy it, fly it!!! :)

Question. We know you love it. How's does the wife feel about it? Mine is kinda "eh" about it. She just doesn't get it. lol Anyway... Keep it, love it, enjoy it, fly it!!! :)

My wife is very understanding with all my hobbies. It was whatever you want to do, lol. She came out to watch along with my son. He was upset when I told him I might return it, typical teenager.

He has been practicing on my older syma x5. If you can fly a quad without assistance from gps and such you can fly the P3. I was amazed in the dark how easy it was to fly, I was flying that very gingerly with non abrupt movements.

Find an open field. Set homepoint, allow self take off and play with the controls at lower heights till you get used to it. If you have RC experience then take it further up. Enjoy the footage. Learn the controls. Each battery take it further as your comfort level increases. Don't rush it. Enjoy it. Practice. And practice landing soft on smooth objects so nothing pertruding hits the camera. While batteries recharge, download your videos and enjoy them on a laptop. And by all means, Enjoy it.

Reactions: Bill S
My wife is very understanding with all my hobbies. It was whatever you want to do, lol. She came out to watch along with my son. He was upset when I told him I might return it, typical teenager.

He has been practicing on my older syma x5. If you can fly a quad without assistance from gps and such you can fly the P3. I was amazed in the dark how easy it was to fly, I was flying that very gingerly with non abrupt movements.

I think the best advice you'll get here around here is to observe all the current local rules and regulations and to take care of the batteries. Never fly with less than a 100% charge, cycle them properly and never store them at a full charge. Store them around a 60-50% charge. Also, calibrations. Observe the environment in which you're in and only calibrate when needed. I bet you'll have that thing a mile out in about a week or two. :)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20