New obsessed P4 owner!

Reaction score
Just got a Phantom 4 last week and I am spending wayyyy too many waking hours on this new hobby. Too bloody cold here in Canada for many flights but I've had a few and just love the stability and ease of flying. I have a toy helicopter (indoor) with similar controls and its way harder to fly than the Phantom so I have a sense of confidence out of the gate but still have avoided sport mode and will only fly with nobody around until I get a few more hours of practice in. Ordering all kinds of things from Amazon - spare battery parabolic range extender, iPad sunshade hood, etc. Heading up to a cottage tomorrow for a few days and looking forward to many flights up there.

Only disappointment so far is that you cannot take a picture while filming video. Seems like this is a no-brainer and could be accomplished, even if only if filming less than 4k quality.

Main things I need to learn are about video uploading and editing. Not sure where to do this, on my iPad using Apple software or using the DJI Go app? Also what is Skypixel and is anyone using that? I just uploaded a video from my iPhone to YouTube but it wouldn't do it in HD and the quality is horrible. Help appreciated.

Thanks guys.
Chris

Just got a Phantom 4 last week and I am spending wayyyy too many waking hours on this new hobby. Too bloody cold here in Canada for many flights but I've had a few and just love the stability and ease of flying. I have a toy helicopter (indoor) with similar controls and its way harder to fly than the Phantom so I have a sense of confidence out of the gate but still have avoided sport mode and will only fly with nobody around until I get a few more hours of practice in. Ordering all kinds of things from Amazon - spare battery parabolic range extender, iPad sunshade hood, etc. Heading up to a cottage tomorrow for a few days and looking forward to many flights up there.

Only disappointment so far is that you cannot take a picture while filming video. Seems like this is a no-brainer and could be accomplished, even if only if filming less than 4k quality.

Main things I need to learn are about video uploading and editing. Not sure where to do this, on my iPad using Apple software or using the DJI Go app? Also what is Skypixel and is anyone using that? I just uploaded a video from my iPhone to YouTube but it wouldn't do it in HD and the quality is horrible. Help appreciated.

Thanks guys.
Chris
Hi Chris I know how you feel I was the same way when I started off flying as well. If you have a computer take the SD card out of the drone and put it in your computer to down load the movie. I use movie maker it's free and records HD really well. You can take a shot from the video and make a pic out of it really easy. When your done down loading to your computer put the SD card back in your bird and go fly again take more Video it does great.
Ron

Thanks guys.
Chris
Hi yip mine goes sky pixel,,seems to b only place i can put vids ,,when i post here keeps sayin clip to long,i gota clip down to 20mbs, ,i think i got a settin wrong somewhere,,i did also ditch standed sd card and got a faster reading one,,good now;)

welcome to the site, and congrats on your new P4 , i think we've all been there, lots of good info here from guys who have been there done that before...enjoy :)

Welcome HeadHunter2020 !

One recommendation ;

Never rush at flight location, any concern or abnormal craft status just delay or eventually cxl flight until clarified, even if under ´pressure´ as people watching you.

There are also good free apps to validate operation with realtime local status and useful map (ie UAV Forecast).

All the best.

One vital bit of kit you need is an ND filter...just got a dji nd8 filtet for my p4 and video quality i tranformed...on sunny days you can film at 1.60th of a second at 30 fps and the footage is superb

Reactions: JWH and RémyHeli
On the taking a picture while videoing you can always grab a frame from the video post. Even if it could take a picture it would lightly be a frame grab anyway.

Thanks guys.
Chris

Hi Chris,

I as well recently got a P4 and love it! I am so happy to hear that you are having great results with yours!

In terms of uploading/editing the video, I take my Micro SD out of the drone and plug it into a computer and do all of my editing through iMovie. Just be mindful about how much space you have on your hard drive before uploading, the files from your videos (especially in 4k) will be large and will take up a great deal of space.

Enjoy your drone and fly safely!

Isaac

Welcome aboard,
I use Go pro editor on my desk top for all my editing, and I plug my p3 4k into my computer with a USB cord to download. Erase tge card from there. I never remove my sd card.

Good luck

Headhunter, I would recommend you start out recording with 1080 resolution. Editing 4k is daunting unless you're equipped and experienced. It also uses a lot of space on the SD card, needlessly, IMO. 1080@60FPS is all I shoot and it produces very good results on YouTube.

Last edited:
Some great tips and I appreciate all the replies. Just read in the news here this morning Canada is rolling out some tougher new rules for drone pilots including... no night flying, no flying near buildings or people, no flying within 9 km of any airport, 90 m (300 feet) max height, etc. More rules to follow in June including possible licencing required.

Welcome aboard,
I use Go pro editor on my desk top for all my editing, and I plug my p3 4k into my computer with a USB cord to download. Erase tge card from there. I never remove my sd card.

Good luck

How did you get the GoPro Studio to edit it? I always get a message stating that it was not made with a GoPro and the software refuses to open the file.

I plug my p3 4k into my computer with a USB cord to download. Erase tge card from there. I never remove my sd card.
Have you compared the convenience of card swapping? Using a USB 3 SD card reader will transfer your video to the computer faster, and likely erase a little faster too.

I personally don't like flying with previous flight video in the SD card, risking loss. I usually swap cards when I land, always starting new flights with a clean card, but that's me.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DonT