I've always trusted RTH. Starting to use with P1. The best method with P1 send up a few hundred feet fly out for 4 minutes and hit RTH. No fly but Great vids every time
I plan on using it. I just don't think I will need it for the first few flights because I will be in a huge open field getting used to flying first.

I plan on using it. I just don't think I will need it for the first few flights because I will be in a huge open field getting used to flying first.
Remember.................... if it's less than 20 meters from the home point, it will auto-land. I think that's what I remember from it.

If you don't use prop guards think about strong arms for stress crack protection. I have Bestem Aerial removable guards for when flying in urban works.

Play around with the flight simulator while the weather is bad. That should help to get you familiar with the controls etc.

As for RTH, I think the best approach is to practice using it as well as cancelling it or taking over control in case you see your drone heading into trouble. I've read about people who forget to set a new home point and their drone starts to fly to the last town they were in, lol. Best to know how to take back control if you need to.

I'm a newb as well and have taken out my P3P for two flights so far. I absolutely love it!

Well I flew it today. All I am going to say is wow! Amazing little aircraft. Those who say it doesn't behave like the Hubsan are absolutely wrong. The flight controls are exactly the same with a huge exception. This thing goes only where you tell it. When you stop giving it input it hovers in place. So flying the Hubsan was exactly like flying the P3P.

A couple of things. When I took off it was in ATTI mode... Was incredibly stable because i was only about 7 feet of the ground. After a few minutes of flight I realized it and switched over to GPS. Holy crap, this thing could just about fly itself in that mode. There was a little breeze about 6-8 mph. Aircraft didn't budge. Overall I am really impressed with it. So back to my original questions.

I want to buy the gimbal ribbon protector. Is there a difference between the RC product at $47 and the knock off's?
Some have commented on the blade protectors in other threads from reading ... I won't be buying them. Seems like they are more of a problem than they are worth.
I do want to get the camera guard I have seen many but not very many reviews. Thoughts?

Reactions: snerd
Oh did not fuss with return to home yet. Maybe tomorrow. I do have a question about setting the return to home altitude. Is there a standard that everyone uses? I will search for it I am sure there is a discussion on here somewhere that covers the topic.

Above obstacles, will vary from place to place. I use 30 meters as a minimum in a clear area

Ok, I think I'm setting it to 35 meters. Noticed that you can't set it with the copter off. I guess this has to go into the preflight checklist :)

Oh did not fuss with return to home yet. Maybe tomorrow. I do have a question about setting the return to home altitude. Is there a standard that everyone uses? I will search for it I am sure there is a discussion on here somewhere that covers the topic.
Above the tallest object where you're flying. I have a cell tower or two at 200ft at a couple of locations............................ mine is set at 90 meters.

Well I flew it today. All I am going to say is wow! Amazing little aircraft. Those who say it doesn't behave like the Hubsan are absolutely wrong. The flight controls are exactly the same with a huge exception. This thing goes only where you tell it. When you stop giving it input it hovers in place. So flying the Hubsan was exactly like flying the P3P.

A couple of things. When I took off it was in ATTI mode... Was incredibly stable because i was only about 7 feet of the ground. After a few minutes of flight I realized it and switched over to GPS. Holy crap, this thing could just about fly itself in that mode. There was a little breeze about 6-8 mph. Aircraft didn't budge. Overall I am really impressed with it. So back to my original questions.

I want to buy the gimbal ribbon protector. Is there a difference between the RC product at $47 and the knock off's?
Some have commented on the blade protectors in other threads from reading ... I won't be buying them. Seems like they are more of a problem than they are worth.
I do want to get the camera guard I have seen many but not very many reviews. Thoughts?
I bought the RC Killer version, very high quality. It installed very precisely, looks rugged, however I haven't had to depend on it yet (knock on wood).

Thanks for the feedback. I guess I will bite the bullet and by the RC Killer version.

Return home is risk ? Why

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app
I only made that statement in regard to trusting it 100% of the time. It shouldn't be used as your only means of getting your quad back to you. If the GPS malfunctions or loses satellite lock then your return to home is 100% worthless. It's a bad crutch to have over developing some basic flight skills. I've also read instances where people have found the need to switch to ATTI mode to get their phantom some needed speed to make up for a strong headwind upon returning "home". Sorry. Didn't want to imply it was a worthless feature as I've needed to employ it myself when I momentarily lost sight of my phantom against the clouds. It's useful in an emergency but I wouldn't ever fly with that as my only means of getting my phantom back.

RTH is risky? Really?

I use is it almost every time I fly...love to watch the bird come in on its own. School teacher and it blows the kids away every time. I give a PP lesson on GPS and then take the bird up outside. You either trust the technology or you don't. Well over 250 flights now......I trust it.
Is that the only way you can get it back?

Re: RTH -

I never really need it either. I often fly by just the map or the display. The image doesn't lie, it's still up there. The poster seemed to indicate it (RTH) was a risky proposition. My point was I don't consider it risky at all and IT WORKS.

And nice to have when you fly out of LOS or lose signal.
I never said it was risky in a never use it manner. I just don't think the majority of the people flying should be using that as their only means of getting their bird back. I use the methods you do for when I'm flying normally and filming but I also know how to get it back when its LOS. Far away. Without the tablet/phone maps and telemetry. Its just good skills in my opinion to acquire but to each his own I guess. I know if something unexpected comes up with GPS or tablet/phone issues I'll be able to recover my phantom. It's a nice technology demonstration until it doesn't work then it becomes an expensive one.

Last edited:
Don't think I'm doing that. Not enough room in my house for the Phantom. The mini yes Phantom no...

Couldn't beat the Hubsan for the price.. Can't say that i have been disappointed with it at all... Very nice little trainer. Cats hate it though...

Check

I don't think the Phantom will be a problem after working with the Hubsan. I agree probably could have started with the Phantom. It is more for my own piece of mind. I want to be certain that I have some skills in the event that I lose GPS and have to fly atti.
You're doing everything right from what I've read. I wasn't "knocking" your choice of a Hubsan either. I have one to fly around and do tricks with. Fun little quad. I also will reiterate what I said. If you get ok to good with your Hubsan you will be farther ahead and more comfortable than if you didn't practice with it. There are some good flying videos on YouTube to learn from also. You're going to be terrified and eventually amazed once you start flying the phantom. Terrified in a nervously excited way. Not in a scared to death way. Just thought I'd put that on here since everyone is being super literal with my posts. Have fun! :)

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DonT