Reaction score
I have been lurking for a few weeks and reading up on the P3P. I think I have watched about 10 hours of video. Ordered and received a Hubsan x4c SD for about $31 in anticipation of the bigger unit. Santa didn't deliver on Christmas day... He delivered the day after!!! YAY! The weather is poor so no flights yet. P3P sits behind me still unboxed save the transmitter. More practice with the hubsan.

Here is what I am thinking about my new purchase:

- I plan on foregoing the prop guards - almost seems like they could be more harmful than helpful.
- I do want to purchase the gimbal ribbon guard. I'm not certain about the brand they all look similar but the price ranges from $47 - $9. Is there a functional difference between the more expensive RC Killer product and the others?
- Not certain I want a Camera Guard. If i do get one I was going with the Polar Pro but... I read on here that it interferes with the cam during calibration so I will look at the options depending on the comments I get from you.
- 4K Cam is nice but filters are necessary.
- Yep I registered.. Seems like the right thing to do.

Thanks in advance for your comments.

Congrats! Take it out the box, charge the battery, upgrade the firmware etc. Go through all the menu settings etc Get that stuff out of the way while you wait for better weather :)

I read the manual yesterday. Will go through it again. Charging the battery while watching football. Good idea to upgrade the firmware.

What's the go with Husban , there are like million small drones so why Husban is always recommended

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Charging the battery while watching football. Good idea to upgrade the firmware.
The latest firmware (1.6) has some important changes in it that were made to help prevent the battery from shutting off mid-air when under stress. So, I definitely recommend you install it. If needed, you can find detailed firmware installation instructions here.

Time to activate the VSP and put it to the test. Hovering inside will better hone those skills than the mini.

Time to activate the VSP and put it to the test. Hovering inside will better hone those skills than the mini.
Be careful. This is really not a good idea... unless you live in a gymnasium ;)

Don't expect your phantom to fly ANYTHING like your Hubsan. I would've got a Syma X5 if I were you. They are designed to look like a phantom and are more stable like a phantom. If you can get good with a Hubsan you will have no problems however. I wouldn't fly without a weeks practice on the little quad though. Focus on front towards you hovering/flight and how that affects orientation to stick movements everything will be reverse. You could fly the phantom without ever learning the fundamentals because they are very easy to fly but getting disoriented could cause problems. Using the return to home button every flight would be a very risky proposition and not much fun either. Good luck and safe flights! ☺

I've had my P3P since July. I bought the prop guards but only used them a few times. I found that I didn't need them, at least the way I fly. Also they interfere with the camera view. I never had any problems with the camera guard and calibration. I started with a Hubsan also. As much as I think it helped me, I think I would have been ok without it because the phantoms are so easy to fly.

Don't expect your phantom to fly ANYTHING like your Hubsan. I would've got a Syma X5 if I were you. They are designed to look like a phantom and are more stable like a phantom. If you can get good with a Hubsan you will have no problems however. I wouldn't fly without a weeks practice on the little quad though. Focus on front towards you hovering/flight and how that affects orientation to stick movements everything will be reverse. You could fly the phantom without ever learning the fundamentals because they are very easy to fly but getting disoriented could cause problems. Using the return to home button every flight would be a very risky proposition and not much fun either. Good luck and safe flights! ☺
Return home is risk ? Why

All good suggestions. The Hubsan was the choice because of cost. Can't beat $37 shipped. I am not an ace with it but I can fly it inside pretty well. Figure 8's etc.. Just going to keep working with it. Not concerned with flying the Phantom. Should be much easier than flying the Hubsan.

BUT>>> I am also certain that pucker factor when things go bad will be much greater... Investment price points are vastly different. So I would rather aim the Hubsan the wrong way and hit the side of the house than the Phantom.

Last edited:
Return home is risk ? Why

RTH is risky? Really?

I use is it almost every time I fly...love to watch the bird come in on its own. School teacher and it blows the kids away every time. I give a PP lesson on GPS and then take the bird up outside. You either trust the technology or you don't. Well over 250 flights now......I trust it.

Don't think I'm doing that. Not enough room in my house for the Phantom. The mini yes Phantom no...

I would've got a Syma X5 if I were you.
Couldn't beat the Hubsan for the price.. Can't say that i have been disappointed with it at all... Very nice little trainer. Cats hate it though...

I wouldn't fly without a weeks practice on the little quad though. Focus on front towards you hovering/flight and how that affects orientation to stick movements everything will be reverse.
Check

You could fly the phantom without ever learning the fundamentals because they are very easy to fly but getting disoriented could cause problems. Using the return to home button every flight would be a very risky proposition and not much fun either. Good luck and safe flights! ☺
I don't think the Phantom will be a problem after working with the Hubsan. I agree probably could have started with the Phantom. It is more for my own piece of mind. I want to be certain that I have some skills in the event that I lose GPS and have to fly atti.

RTH is risky? Really?

I use is it almost every time I fly...love to watch the bird come in on its own. School teacher and it blows the kids away every time. I give a PP lesson on GPS and then take the bird up outside. You either trust the technology or you don't. Well over 250 flights now......I trust it.

I think the first few flights i won't need it.

Howdy from Oklahoma............................. where we're getting slammed by an ice storm! Lots to learn on this site, relax, read awhile, get to know folks. Congrats!

Im in New Mexico.. We are getting crushed by snow and ICE. Temp is a reasonable 37 -40 though. Dips below freezing at night and that really confuses people not used to "real weather." LOL! Still try to drive the speed limit in town. Haha no real sense of braking distances and safe margins. Drive like nothing changed. There were 147 accidents in ABQ today..

Went near there going to Red River one time. Couldn't believe all of the 'dont drink and drive' signs on the roads and highways. Must be a big problem out there?

Re: RTH -

I never really need it either. I often fly by just the map or the display. The image doesn't lie, it's still up there. The poster seemed to indicate it (RTH) was a risky proposition. My point was I don't consider it risky at all and IT WORKS.

And nice to have when you fly out of LOS or lose signal.

I've always trusted RTH. Starting to use with P1. The best method with P1 send up a few hundred feet fly out for 4 minutes and hit RTH. No fly but Great vids every time

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20