New Low Noise Propellers for Phantom 4

Reaction score
Does anyone have any experience with the new Low noise props on a P4P?
I'm wondering about any difference in thrust. I'm assuming less thrust makes less noise.

I would some experince to offer except that I didn't read the fine print when purchasing them so I only got two... That's all that come in a box...

Neil

I would some experince to offer except that I didn't read the fine print when purchasing them so I only got two... That's all that come in a box...
Right -- DJI props are always sold in pairs. You definitely don't want to mix these props with the quick release props.

I use them on a pair of mk1 P4Pro, they're definitely quieter (less higher pitch whine) but I've not noticed any flight or duration differences.

They're slightly annoying because my hardened case (which normally allows the P4Pro to be stored 'props on' ) doesn't accommodate them.....

The quote below is from DJI's description of the noise generated by the P4 Pro V2.

"New aerodynamic 9455S propellers and new FOC ESC drivers offer improved noise control and sinusoidal current for increased stability."

So, based on this, I think the low noise props were really designed to be matched with a V2 in order to take full advantage of their 'low-noise' feature due to its updated ESC's. I did have an opportunity to observe one in action, and it was not only quieter, but the tone was also lower and less annoying*.

Having said that, I did put a set on my P4 original, and they are just a bit quieter. Some complain of less stability while using the low-noise props on anything but a V2, but that has not been my experience.

* Of course, by 'annoying', I mean to others. I love the sound..:p...

Reactions: Malone
I have seen no lifting issues or performance issues with the quieter blades. I fly mine at night sometimes and use two lume-lites mount on the skids. It lifts them fine.

Thanks guys for all the input. Two boxes from now on!

I'll give these a try, once the other pair arrives...
P4p is all I own so I won't be able to test on the V2.

Thanks again all!
Neil

I'm wondering about any difference in thrust. I'm assuming less thrust makes less noise.

Neil
Less RPM for the same thrust- not less thrust.

I know low noise props work and are quieter. Is there a noise abatement issue. I like normal carbon blades. I like to hear my drone when I lose it I'm the sunlight occasional or out of sight for moment. The noise is audible below 150 ft. Not sure why people want a quiet dronequiet prop? That is if you are trying to record 2nd floor windows flying over uninvited areas. I prefer 2 blade carbon blades. Great performance and enough noise.

I have low noise props on my P4P. Probably not less noise but lower frequency noise. Maneuverability is the same. Maybe a slight reduction in top speed of <2 mph. But the coolness factor is high.

Neil
I've heard both in a comparison test, and decided it wasn't worth it.

Like most p4 owners I'm sure there a set in there box of spares,,I have but not a great fan but they are in my collection

Neil
There are several companies that make low noise propellers for the Phantom 4 series. I have been using DJIs quick release low noise props since I purchased my drone almost a year now. They cost a little more then the stock ones but, are worth buying. I have been using the same 4 props and haven't had any problems and they are defiantly quieter then the stock props. Description below, you can find on Amazon or the DJI web site.

DJI Genuine Phantom 4 Series Low-Noise 9455S Propellers for Phantom 4 Advanced/Pro/Pro+ V2.0 Drone Accessories Part#137 (White, 2 Pairs Phantom 4 Series Low-Noise Propellers) is a toy product from Dji.

A bit quieter but mostly because of lower sound. The thrust is the same. I unintentionally once put one original prop and three lo-no by. It flied as usually.
I agree with '4dhtpi' (what a name!) that it's very useful to hear your Phantom.
It is only one thing about those props which I hardly understand. A lot of you is saying that the props works best with V2. P4P and P4P-V2 have the same motors, the same rotation speed, the same electronics, etc.

I have the low noise props on my P4P and I find them definitely quieter.
No flight dynamic issues: endurance,climb/descend rate or bank/turn issues.

I would just add a note of caution......

If you are carrying two types of props in your case, you just want to be sure you DO NOT mix the two types and end up installing the two types on your Phantom at the same time.

A bit quieter but mostly because of lower sound. The thrust is the same. I unintentionally once put one original prop and three lo-no by. It flied as usually.
I agree with '4dhtpi' (what a name!) that it's very useful to hear your Phantom.
It is only one thing about those props which I hardly understand. A lot of you is saying that the props works best with V2. P4P and P4P-V2 have the same motors, the same rotation speed, the same electronics, etc.
Would be interesting to learn what specifics you think you have in the nature and ESC. It had been suggested the motors are lower KV and while the inverter stage might be the same the SOC and or programming is different. Too many have remarked on the efficiency and sound performance being different with the v2 for it to be likely your claims of no difference in hardware are correct. I suspect your assumption is wrong in this instance.

Would be interesting to learn what specifics you think you have in the nature and ESC. It had been suggested the motors are lower KV and while the inverter stage might be the same the SOC and or programming is different. Too many have remarked on the efficiency and sound performance being different with the v2 for it to be likely your claims of no difference in hardware are correct. I suspect your assumption is wrong in this instance.
OK maybe you're right. Mostly the hardware I was talking about. But I would like to hear both of them to be sure.

OK maybe you're right. Mostly the hardware I was talking about. But I would like to hear both of them to be sure.
I wouldn’t expect them to sound much different. Same mass AC will require same thrust to hover therefore RPM’s and resultant acoustic profile should be identical.

Where you should see differences is in flight time and overall stability.

I am sure physical engineers would be able to opine at great length about the various elements at play between the two props and their varied performance on different aircraft. I am not an engineer but I do like to think that can rationalize though some things that are important for my uses.
Once I get the other pair of props.... I'll do a little comparative empirical testing with my P4P. I have a decibel app on my phone that may provide some useful info. I might do a stable hover and measure either the total time of flight or battery drain. I can also compare max speeds as well as make some subjective judgements of maneuvering performance.
My sole objective is to see if there is indeed any real reduction in noise as well as any change in performance.
I'll be glad to add any test ideas you may have.
I'll post the results of my "research" here once I've done it.

I do appreciate the idea that the noise helps find the drone when it's lost in the light. I've relied on that quite often. I do fly near sensitive wildlife areas sometimes so reducing the noise would be a plus. Reducing the number of bystanders would be a plus too!.....

I am sure physical engineers would be able to opine at great length about the various elements at play between the two props and their varied performance on different aircraft. I am not an engineer but I do like to think that can rationalize though some things that are important for my uses.
Once I get the other pair of props.... I'll do a little comparative empirical testing with my P4P. I have a decibel app on my phone that may provide some useful info. I might do a stable hover and measure either the total time of flight or battery drain. I can also compare max speeds as well as make some subjective judgements of maneuvering performance.
My sole objective is to see if there is indeed any real reduction in noise as well as any change in performance.
I'll be glad to add any test ideas you may have.
I'll post the results of my "research" here once I've done it.

I do appreciate the idea that the noise helps find the drone when it's lost in the light. I've relied on that quite often. I do fly near sensitive wildlife areas sometimes so reducing the noise would be a plus. Reducing the number of bystanders would be a plus too!.....
I fly in wildlife management areas too occasionally, and because of where I live, there are busy highways nearby that have high fences protecting the wildlife. Interestingly enough, I find that if I disable the downward sensors I can fly relatively close to the deer in the management area. However, with the sensors on the deer scatter!

I fly in wildlife management areas too occasionally, and because of where I live, there are busy highways nearby that have high fences protecting the wildlife. Interestingly enough, I find that if I disable the downward sensors I can fly relatively close to the deer in the management area. However, with the sensors on the deer scatter!
Im not sure what the fences or the traffic have to do with it but it might be the deers reactions with/without downward active positioning might be a coincidence. I recall the outcomes of some studies exploring the potential usefulness of ultrasonic devices in deterring deer to have suggested they have no effect. They don't work for kangaroos or emus either unfortunately.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4