New here!! Phantom 3 shaky/woobly footage question

Reaction score
Hi all, I have read so many topics on woobly (Jello) footage from the Phantom 3 camera and fixes.
I have tried everything I have found online and still getting a weird wooble through my video.
Im pretty new to drones and actually sort of acquired this drone from friend that didnt want it anymore.
It has been crashed and I replaced the whole body with a new one.
I have uploaded a small clip to show what is happening.
Wondering if anyone here can point me to a cause for this?

Any help is much appreciated
Thank you

sammy

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Does the copter vibrate ? or is the shutter on cam open too long ?

Does the copter vibrate ? or is the shutter on cam open too long ?

It does shake a bit but not sure why sometimes the video looks smooth and then you see the ripple. Maybe the shutter speed is the issue? What sort of shutter speed is the sweet spot for the Phantom 3?

Ive seen several articles on this and it can be caused by using aftermarket props. In every case I've read about when they went back to dji props the problem stopped. Hear is one link that talks about it.
Jello Effect - What causes it and how to cure it.
Thank you so much Steve60. Just bought new props from DJI and a balancer so lets see if that cures it. Going to check out the gymbal as well but Im thinking if it was the gymbal all my footage would be super shaky I think?

Turn the Phantom upside down on the bench.
Inspect the yaw arm where it mounts to the yaw motor shaft, and check it for any wiggle.
Mine would wiggle even with the grub screw was tight.

Turn the Phantom upside down on the bench.
Inspect the yaw arm where it mounts to the yaw motor shaft, and check it for any wiggle.
Mine would wiggle even with the grub screw was tight.
Great tip Mdowney58. Thank you. Will check it out tomorrow when I get home.

Did you get your camera figured out yet?

Nope! Its better with the new props, tightened all the screws up and checked the gimbal for any shake but there is a still a wobble through the video. Something is off and I just don't know what it could be. Maybe I just need to disassemble the body and reassemble? not sure?

Did you calibrate the gimbal?
(Not a compass calibration, not an IMU calibration, just the gimbal). May or may not help but it did the trick for mine. Also, always make sure your camera touches NOTHING when it does its startup dance, including blades of grass.

Last edited:
Make also sure the gimbal rubber grommets are in good shape (flexible, no cracks) and they are the original ones. Some people replaced the original anti-drop pins with zipties: if that's the case, make sure they are not too tight, the whole camera/gimbal needs to be able to move relative to the AC body (for few millimeters, that is) without offering any resistance.

Make also sure the gimbal rubber grommets are in good shape (flexible, no cracks) and they are the original ones. Some people replaced the original anti-drop pins with zipties: if that's the case, make sure they are not too tight, the whole camera/gimbal needs to be able to move relative to the AC body (for few millimeters, that is) without offering any resistance.

Thank you Pharm and 120CCPM for your suggestions. Did them all and its worked great! No wooble! just a slight vibration and tiny bit of wooble when it transitions from moving to hovering but then it goes away in about a second. Do you guys recommend having the landing gear stabilizers?

Not sure what you mean with stabilizers... are you referring to the brace that connects the landing gear to give some protection to the gimbal/camera? If that's the case, all I can say is that I have it on mine, but I have no idea (and not intention to find out) whether it really helps in a crash or not.

Could be wrong, but: I work professionally with video (still a Phantom newbie though):

I'm 99% sure, I'm looking at a very fast shutter speed in your clip(?). If so, this will also contribute to the jello. Aim for a 1/50 or 1/60 shutter speed. In broad daylight you'll need nd filters though...

Kind regards,
Mike

Reactions: mikep2323 and Pharm
I had the same issue. my gimbal had loose screws in each of the axis motors. The gimbal was fighting itself. It would make a grinding noise and vibrate causing the jello look. It took some time but I took the gimbal apart and fixed it. #6 Torx driver and a small phillips did the trick.

Lots of good advice here. I am having a similar problem but I think it is a mixture of all things mentioned. BTW I got some props for Xmas and although they were labelled as DJI when I took them out of the packet they 'felt' different. Be careful about Chinese copies. Yes I know DJI is Chinese but you know what I mean.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers