New H4-3D Gimbal

Reaction score
I see that DJI just unveiled the new H4-3D gimbal at this years CES 2015, designed specifically for the new Hero 4 camera. My question/s are:

Will it remove the requirement for that horrible ribbon cable?
Will it operate the camera (AV & power) through the rear port?
How much will it cost?

Other than a brief mention on their video at the show there is no other information on the DJI website which is why I came here to ask the group who knows more about DJI than DJI do. :)

Regards
Pete

you're asking the same questions everybody else in a plethora of threads is asking... unfortunately nobody around here knows much more than the fact that it exists. hopefully soon we start getting some details! it's not even on DJI's website yet

In regards to the ribbon cable, it would seem unlikely that they can do away with that due to the fact that the Hero 4 does not output video from the rear port, like the previous models did. It's hard to see how else they could do it, but it would be nice.

DeathFromJuu said:
This is not true. The H4B does output video from the back and is compatible with GoPro's LCD backpack.

The problem is on DJI's end...

not necessarily. We're yet to hear about ANY other device than the official backpack getting video from a Hero 4's rear port. It's possible GoPro implemented some sort of hardware check or something and only allows video out to specific devices... kind of like when the video industry moved away from component video cables to HDMI, which is digital, so they can do hardware checks for HDCP and such.

point is, it COULD be GoPro doing it intentionally, it could be anything at this point we just don't know.

A bit OT, but could this be the new product that such a fuss was being made about? If so, it is anti-climatic as we knew this was coming. I'll upgrade my Hero 3 B, when 3d cameras and gimbals come out!

The ribbon cable is still there as u can clearly see it in the dji video

have they done anything to change it from the H3-3D, apart from recalibrate the weight balance & modified it so you can access the settings button i assume

Regarding this topic, has anyone tried a hero 4 on a h3 3d version 1 to actually see if it works?

Doing research it seems dji forfitted the 30 pin rear connector due to a licensing fee of some sort enabling access to go pro rear port sad if thats true considering these quads arent exactly cheap.

capodrone81 said:
Regarding this topic, has anyone tried a hero 4 on a h3 3d version 1 to actually see if it works?

Doing research it seems dji forfitted the 30 pin rear connector due to a licensing fee of some sort enabling access to go pro rear port sad if thats true considering these quads arent exactly cheap.

Video does not work (for fpv) via the 30 pin back connector. Power *should*.

However, the ribbon cable is available to upgrade to the usb version if needed for a 4.

Besides the settings button getting pressed and different weight dispersion, it seems to work for people.

The only question is whether or not the added weight of the 4 has an effect on the motors over time. The announcement of a new gimbal suggest it may be a concern.

Reoscorpio said:
capodrone81 said:

Video does not work (for fpv) via the 30 pin back connector. Power *should*.

However, the ribbon cable is available to upgrade to the usb version if needed for a 4.

Besides the settings button getting pressed and different weight dispersion, it seems to work for people.

The only question is whether or not the added weight of the 4 has an effect on the motors over time. The announcement of a new gimbal suggest it may be a concern.
I wonder what stops the video output from being transmitted . Must be true about the license fees and software between dji and go pro. It just seems stupid to have a perfect connector not working such a clean setup. Instead a flimsy ribbon cable exposed to the elements .... :roll:

I just received the upgraded 30pin gimbal connector from China today.
Someone else here mentioned it didn't work.
Upon first glance I can see the traces in the short ribbon are slightly different and there seems to be an extra resistor on it, so it is definitely different.
I'll update after install tomorrow.

If the new H43D has the ribbon, there is no reason to spend money on it. The only difference will probably be less weight on the part behind the camera.
Lots of us are flying 3+ with lenses and the added weight does not have any ill effects.
If you really wanted perfect weight, you could take the battery out of the H4, put something lighter inside (a coin in foam for example) and power the H4 from the gimbal, provided the new 30pin connector works. There are probably more creative ways to do it.

The weight difference is 5 grams. You could shave that off the plate with a dremel.

Fyod said:
I just received the upgraded 30pin gimbal connector from China today.
Someone else here mentioned it didn't work.
Upon first gance I can see the traces in the short ribbon are slightly different and there seems to be an extra resistor on it, so it is definitely different.
I'll update after install tomorrow.

If the new H43D has the ribbon, there is no reason to spend money on it. The only difference will probably be less weight on the part behind the camera.
Lots of us are flying 3+ with lenses and the added weight does not have any ill effects.
If you really wanted perfect weight, you could take the battery out of the H4, put something 20g lighter inside (a coin in foam for example) and power the H4 from the gimbal, provided the new 30pin connector works. There are probably more creative ways to do it.

The upgraded 30 pin conector is this the one from the v1 3d? Or is this an unreleased connector not available to usa that you are testing.

Where did you buy connector?

http://www.goodluckbuy.com/dji-phantom- ... tible.html

I have the original H33D with 30pin connector.
Then I bought the "upgrade ribbon kit" from DJI, which sucks and makes the H4 hard to install/remove.
So now I'm going to try this. My goal is to be able to choose whether I want the 3+ or 4 installed.

Reportedly, the only difference is an extra ground for the H4 so in theory the 3+ should work with the "new 30pin" connector too.

Fyod said:
http://www.goodluckbuy.com/dji-phantom-3-axis-gimbal-h3-3d-back-insert-av-output-adapter-gopro4-compatible.html

I have the original H33D with 30pin connector.
Then I bought the "upgrade ribbon kit" from DJI, which sucks and makes the H4 hard to install/remove.
So now I'm going to try this. My goal is to be able to choose whether I want the 3+ or 4 installed.

Reportedly, the only difference is an extra ground for the H4 so in theory the 3+ should work with the "new 30pin" connector too.
Wow it says modified for go pro hero4 so yes please update after you install.. meanwhile seems like for 1.90 you can connect usb on gopro directly to tx and still keep oem 30 pin intact
Please update I will order this 30pin based on your findibgs. Thankyou!

i'm sure thats the one thats already been tested, & didn't work

p fandango said:
have they done anything to change it from the H3-3D, apart from recalibrate the weight balance & modified it so you can access the settings button i assume

It'll come out of the box with the piece of thick tape fitted as a stand-off for the settings button and a penny taped to the pitch motor :lol:

wattage said:
p fandango said:

It'll come out of the box with the piece of thick tape fitted as a stand-off for the settings button and a penny taped to the pitch motor :lol:

Lol. Well played.

p fandango said:
I have no problem pressing the settings button on my H3-3D/Hero 4.

A GoPro product manager confirmed to a writer on Pro Video Coalition that the Video Out signal on the bus port on the back of the HERO4 WILL NOT provide a video-out signal for the Zenmuse H3-2D gimbal, nor the early released v1 of the H3-3D gimbals. You must use an FPV connector to the USB port on the side of the GoPro to get an FPV signal out. At this time, there is no word of a firmware update from GoPro to resolve this.

SteveMann said:
A GoPro product manager confirmed to a writer on Pro Video Coalition that the Video Out signal on the bus port on the back of the HERO4 WILL NOT provide a video-out signal for the Zenmuse H3-2D gimbal, nor the early released v1 of the H3-3D gimbals. You must use an FPV connector to the USB port on the side of the GoPro to get an FPV signal out. At this time, there is no word of a firmware update from GoPro to resolve this.
& with GoPro taking a step into the drone market, do you think they will do a firmware update to get there camera's to work with the competition? Not a chance

the thing that annoys me (& i don't know why, as i haven't even got a Hero4 yet) is that they really can't of done much to stop it working. If you can use any GoPro LCD bacpac & get a picture using the rear port what have they done to stop a gimbal getting a picture. I really don''t believe that 2 years ago when they started making the bacpacs (which apparently work with Hero4's) that they put an extra "coding" or "ID" circuit in so the camera would restrict video to things it knew were genuine GoPro accessories

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl