New Guy, Already Crashed.....2 days

Super sorry to hear about your crash. But it seems like a lot of damage. The tree must have beat the crap out of it.

Did that, IMU calibration was success and the values were within normal limits from what I could tell from looking online........hopes are good..

yes it was a hard hit....i think it hit the first roof helped absorb some of the impact so it wasn't quite as deadly as it could have been.

well... surgery went well... Thank you to everyone who gave me help!

Attachments

• IMAG0277.jpg
    IMAG0277.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 393
Everything back to normal now?

Well, I had 2 crashes into trees with my P3P and simply could not afford to scrap it. The 1st repair was with JB weld and did OK. The second required a new shell and this was before there were videos out about replacement and it now is as good as new. That was about 100 flights ago. My experience may not be the norm, but it was worth a chance since my camera and gimbal were not damaged miraculously! Personal choice as to which way you go. These were not my 1st crashes as I have had to replace gimbals, landing gear, compass and other stuff. Still cheaper than total scrap and replacement to me. Fortunately none of my internals were ever damaged.

Last edited:
yea, everything is back to normal. Flew out 2000 ft the other day and had no problems. Took wonderful video. My be a blessing in disguise because now I understand how my drone works and how all the components come together under the hood.

PS

I could find anywhere to buy just buy part of the shell. You had to buy both. I got one on amazon for $54.

yea, everything is back to normal. Flew out 2000 ft the other day and had no problems. Took wonderful video. My be a blessing in disguise because now I understand how my drone works and how all the components come together under the hood.

PS

I could find anywhere to buy just buy part of the shell. You had to buy both. I got one on amazon for $54.

I think that is what I paid. EVERYTHING came with it like ALL the screws. Exception was the battery cage. Fortunately, mine wasn't trashed. It is a tedious process though and you have to fish the compass & VPS wires very carefully. I would suggest doing it in one sitting so you don't forget where things go and which wires go down which leg. I think it took me about 3 or 4 hrs. But for $54, you get a P3P that looks brand new. I also use Aerospace 303 Protectant on the shell to keep the bug guts off or at least super easy to clean and it is also a UV protectant. I put it on my props as well..

PS

$54 range has always been the usual price for complete shells. I bought a complete one last year as a method to painting. I painted the top half during flying season and changed it with the unpainted stock piece. My plan was to complete the project during the winter when I do a little less flying. I continue flying until temps fall below 18 degrees. So just before starting to paint the remaining parts my p2v+ dropped out of the sky due to a motor wire solder point breaking.I had installed the V3 upgrade motors and got one of the welds too hot making for a poor installation. DJI sold me a refurbished replacement for $400 that looked brand new. Then while beta testing one of the sdk app's my A/C fell from the sky two times which was the app's fault this time. So at point I know had an even better reason for the complete shell I already had on hand. I was in the process of rebuilding the A/C when I took delivery of the P3P, and have not done anything with the older one since.

I crashed into a tree on the first flight of P2V. I was in an open field but still managed to hit a tree about 1/8 mile away. I was so eager to fly I didn't take the time to learn the basics. I had to replace the shell, two ESC's, one motor, and two props. $190 plus two weeks waiting for parts. I learned to approach flying slowly. If you have friends who fly try to have them join you. I recently had a flyaway that resulted in me losing a fight with a brick wall. More $$$$$$. Then two weeks ago my bird disappeared. I got a readout saying GPS was lost. I found the P2V after two days of searching in some thick woods. Undamaged except for one chipped prop. Still not sure what went wrong. I'm glad I started with a cheaper model. I'm feeling more confident now and will probably move up to a P3A after the first of the year. Maybe a P2V+ to save some money. Definitely something with a 3 axis gimbal for smooth video.

Yep sell off any parts that are still good and buy a new one . Then sell what you don't need like the rc , battery ,charger etc . You'll end up spending less and having a new bird without having to do any repairs .
I agree with that analogy 100%. No telling what else is damaged and to watch it go down in flames a second time might discourage you from the hobby. As so many others have said find a large area with few watchers for practice and only after then get a little bolder. Take nothing for granted and put more eyes on the drone then the tablet.

Great thread with some good advice. My P3 lost it's fight with a pine tree limb and as soon as I get it back from Hani I'm heading to the wide open spaces to get lots of practice:)

@CONTROL FREQ, so true, also it's a good idea to get a smaller/cheaper quad and "practice, practice, practice". My P3 is on order but I have been flying a Helicopter-Max 230si for about 4 months both inside and out(when weather and winds permit) and am only now getting confident in handling the quad in all attitudes. A drone simulator would be a great option. Cheers.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik