New Ground Station App question...

gunslinger

Premium Pilot
Reaction score
I've got a P2V that's fully updated and using the new Ground Station WayPoint software built into the Android and IOS apps.

I'm in the process of creating a video for a golf course that shows each hole, from tee box to green, from around 65 feet of altitude. We have one hole where the tee box altitude is about 45 feet higher than most of the fairway and the green. I plan on setting waypoint 1 at the home point and going up to 65 feet of altitude. I plan on setting waypoint 2 at the green and arriving there at 45 feet of altitude.

I obviously need to test this thoroughly before I pull the trigger, but does anyone have any insight regarding what's going to happen during this flight?

Will it start at 65 feet of altitude from the tee box location and gradually arrive at the green at 45 feet of altitude at the green's location? This would put it at around 110 feet of altitude as it moves away from the tee box.

or:

Will it start at 65 feet of altitude from the tee box location and gradually lose altitude to travel along the fairway at 65 feet of altitude, and then gradually descend to 45 feet of altitude at the green?

Thanks for any help with this...

-slinger

Wish I had some information for you.. I am excited you created this post though. I have had a GS for 2 months now and haven't even taken it out of the box. I really wish someone would come out with a video walk-through on GS. I wanted to learn how to fly first before I started launching it by an ipad. I was thinking about doing the same thing for a golf coarse down here in Texas for trade.

Hello,

When I've tried this, the p2v goes from where ever it is (home point or not) to the altitude of the 1st waypoint. E.g. if you start on the ground, it will arrive at waypoint 1 at that waypoints's alitudue (climb). In my experience, it has never gotten to the waypoint altitude before the waypoint. It kind of goes in the shortest line possible.

From then on, I usually stick to the same altitude until the mission is over. I have yet to try it the other way (descend).

Hope that helps.

A

FRS said:
I really wish someone would come out with a video walk-through on GS. I wanted to learn how to fly first before I started launching it by an ipad.

This one is pretty darn good: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6MfY3Y8238

Gunslinger, the way Major_Defeat described it matches my experience, but I'm not sure if that's what you're asking...I was a little confused by the references to altitude, wasn't sure if you meant in reference to starting height, or..?

Hey Slinger,
Ive just been working on a job doing exactly what you are doing. I have the exact same problem on the first hole. I've skipped it and I'll finish off on that one. From what I've been doing I've found for the flat and straight holes I set the first point at 16m altitude which seems an optimal viewing height, point 2 directly over the green at 24m altitude and as it comes into the green I slowly start panning down until im directly pointing down over the green with my taco gimbal. I normally take back control and then yaw 360° over the green. I'll upload a video in an hour or so. It seems to ascend from 16m to 24m gradually along its flight path so my plan with hole 1 is to start at 16m and then mark point 2 over the green at 5m. This is all untested but weather permitting I'll be trying it first thing in the morning.

OI Photography said:
FRS said:
I really wish someone would come out with a video walk-through on GS. I wanted to learn how to fly first before I started launching it by an ipad.

This one is pretty darn good: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6MfY3Y8238

Gunslinger, the way Major_Defeat described it matches my experience, but I'm not sure if that's what you're asking...I was a little confused by the references to altitude, wasn't sure if you meant in reference to starting height, or..?

Gotcha... I was referring simply to distance from the ground... :)

-slinger

Mal_PV2_Ireland said:
Heres one of the flat holes, point 1 set to 16m alt, point 2 set to 24m directly over the green. Speed set to mid but I think fast is the way to go.
DJI00636: http://youtu.be/gNR-UyGzd7w

Thanks for the tips Mal... when I finally get to shoot this hole, I'll publish what actually happened... Whatever that is. :shock:

-slinger

FASTFJR said:
Forget the ground station. What I did was have a "Driver" in a golf cart. It worked out really well.

:D That was my plan before the GS came out. I might try it both ways... :D

-slinger

Tried to download but it says not compatible with this ipad! Whats up with that?

What version of the iPad do you have? According to DJI's website:

"Ground Station is supported all iPads running iOS 6 or above, with Bluetooth 4.0. This includes iPad 3, 4, Air and mini."

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20