New Flytrex Goodies

Geert said:
When Flytrex will offer this product with 3G or 4G connection I will order again. For now I will stick with my Core 2.

Looks like we have a trend here :)

Question is, if Flytrex offers 3G/4G in the future, can our current 2G Live model be updated with a firmware update or will our hardware become obsolete?

Geert said:
I think it is not possible to update a hardware 2G modem with firmware to a 3G/4G modem.

Geert./.

You're correct. Unless Flytrex Live is using chipset that's legacy compatible. The cost for the chipset has to be drastically different

They are backwards compatible but not forwards, so any product marked as 2G won't be able ot be updated to 3G, but 3G can use 3G or 2G.

No problem with coverage in the UK, but then again there are 12+ service providers and 5 infrastructure networks so plenty of competition. Plus in the UK up to 80% of calls are passed to the 2G network to keep the 3G spectrum freer for data - even if you are using a 3G phone in a 3G area. Our infrastructure is currently too dependent on 2G to see it being switched off anytime soon, and if I had to guess it would be after 2020.

Having said that it seems that Flytrex will have to come up with a 3G/4G "Mark 2" version (if they are not already doing so) particularly for the US market.

My FTL drops connection often during flight. Its quite annoying. At least for now that means the data is lost not to mention I can't monitor it in flight at least 1 out of 3 flights.

Pull_Up said:
They are backwards compatible but not forwards, so any product marked as 2G won't be able ot be updated to 3G, but 3G can use 3G or 2G.

No problem with coverage in the UK, but then again there are 12+ service providers and 5 infrastructure networks so plenty of competition. Plus in the UK up to 80% of calls are passed to the 2G network to keep the 3G spectrum freer for data - even if you are using a 3G phone in a 3G area. Our infrastructure is currently too dependent on 2G to see it being switched off anytime soon, and if I had to guess it would be after 2020.

Having said that it seems that Flytrex will have to come up with a 3G/4G "Mark 2" version (if they are not already doing so) particularly for the US market.

Unfortunately, you are confirming my fear that by jumping too quickly on this cool technology, my investment is turning into a $200 doorstop. I wish I had waited (A) to learn more about 2G, esp that the 2G coverage map does not always indicate that the Live will work properly, and (B) to consider the next generation Live II 3G/4G model (as speculated) which wound be better suited for the US.

The FLT is not a device meant for the US market, at this time. I checked my 2G coverage and we barely have any towers left in our county that is equipped with 2G. There is a tiny area about a mile from me that still receives 2G. I wish I would have researched this before going through all that I did. I'm pulling my FLT off tonight to send back to Flytrex for a refund. From the experiences I have had, I feel this device in the US is still in a beta stage with much to get worked out. Flytrex is hours to just days from rolling out the mobile app for the FLT. That alone will have it;s own set of issues that I clearly do not want to be involved in. I, like most others, lust want a product that can be installed and as trouble free as possible. The lack of support has been the worse part altogether. I had a hard time understanding that as well because I had the Flytrex group labeled as some of the nicest people. That unfortunately changed the first day I opened the FLT after receiving it. It was as if it came from a completely different group of people altogether. However, for the money, the Core2 is no doubt still the hot ticket when comparing apples to apples. Btw, I predict it will be sometime before the 3G makes it to the FLT.

What's the latest from the Flytrex Live users out there? I'm still awaiting from word from Flytrex customer support on whether or not they will let me return this in the event I install it and it doesn't workout for me...

I've requested an RMA for return and refund. I have gotten no response to several requests for an RMA.
I saw yesterday on FB a comment from Flytrex that they were committed to fixing the problem for all US customers including a hardware change. Funny today that comment seems to be missing from FB.
Yesterday, a typical day trying to use the Flytrex Live for me. Out of 3 flights, one worked perfectly. The other two I couldn't get connected at all. All three flights were from the same location, one right after another. I would say for me in the US the FLytrex live works as expected maybe 10% of the time. Other times it may not connect, it may loose data in flight, it may end the flight recording in flight.. Quite frustrating.
I would advise anyone considering one of these that they may 'enjoy' the same frustrations for being an early adopter of an unfinished, not fully functional product, that uses 2G networks that are getting shutdown and have very poor coverage.

What is the best video to watch for installing flytrex live?
does it require soldering for a phantom 2 V +?
When will the PC program to download the data be ready? If you sim card is not working can you still download the data manually? I ordered early August. Can I please get realistic date for shipping. We can deal with the company issues that you were not prepared, but some transparency and direct straight forward answers would be appreciated Please address the issue of T mobile being the only 2G carrier in the USA. Do you have any plans to upgrade the Flytrex to be able to work with 3/4G and what will it cost the owners of the new flytrex? We are putting a lot of trust in your company and respectfully we are not getting the communication explaining the companies position Thank you

DronePilot said:
I've requested an RMA for return and refund. I have gotten no response to several requests for an RMA.
I saw yesterday on FB a comment from Flytrex that they were committed to fixing the problem for all US customers including a hardware change. Funny today that comment seems to be missing from FB.
Yesterday, a typical day trying to use the Flytrex Live for me. Out of 3 flights, one worked perfectly. The other two I couldn't get connected at all. All three flights were from the same location, one right after another. I would say for me in the US the FLytrex live works as expected maybe 10% of the time. Other times it may not connect, it may loose data in flight, it may end the flight recording in flight.. Quite frustrating.
I would advise anyone considering one of these that they may 'enjoy' the same frustrations for being an early adopter of an unfinished, not fully functional product, that uses 2G networks that are getting shutdown and have very poor coverage.

+1

Ok, Flytrex Customer support finally replied to my email and offered me a refund even after installing it if it doesn't work out. I still have reservations installing this based on reports. Recommendations from users of the Live? Should I even bother installing it and trying it out at this point? I live in Colorado. T-mobile map says there is 2G service in this area.. but I rarely fly near my home anyway... What's your recommendation from folks who have been using it?

If I can add my 4 cents:

I bought the Flytrex Live a month ago. Just received it 4 days ago, however. Nice ship time eh?

I installed the device in my Phantom 2 (non-vision). Everything hooked up correctly. Green lights all around. Using T-Mobile in an urban/sub-urban boundary. I.e., good coverage for 2G (so far). Sim card works, Flytrex Live (FTL) device has green lights, P2 works just fine.

Setup my profile on the Flytrex website. Attached the FTL to my account via the code on the device itself.

So I take it on her first flight with the new "black box" installed. I go maybe 20 feet away and about 40 feet up, max. After about five mins, my Flytrex profile says I've earned new badges. First badge = "welcome..." or something. Then there were a ton of other badges that turned my smile sideways. Among them was a "1k Diver" badge - which means I went down in altitude from my starting point, as recorded by the FTL. "How much lower?" you ask? It says I descended at least 1000 feet from my starting altitude. WTF? A number of other badges appeared too. They included things like going 1000' UP from my starting point. Again, keep in mind I never went 50 feet high and less than 50 feet away.

I downloaded the CSV file from my flight and plugged it into Dashware. According to the flight data, my P2 did things during my "blinks" (that's where you close and open your eyes rapidly to maintain moisture) I didn't think were possible - only to return to the same point where it was before I blinked. In other words, the flight data transmitted from the FTL is pure BS.

Some calculation in this thing is WAAAAYYYY OFF. It has nothing to do with 2G, in my opinion. It is simply "capturing" the data from the GPS as it goes into the main flight controller. It's what's inside the FTL that's all screwed up. So much for quality control. And if for some reason the data gets screwed up during the transmission or within the infrastructure of T-Mobile, I'd be surprised. It sure would be the cleanest scramble of data I've seen. Looking at the contents of the CSV export tells me everything seems pretty aligned. It's the math from the FTL that's pumping out bad (ahem...REALLY bad) info.

If only I would have just stuck with purchasing the Core 2. Serves me right for buying something when it's first released.

Sincerely,

Pissed off Flytrex Live buyer

Sounds like you may have a defective barometric sensor in the unit if it's "diving" like that - it uses its own sensor rather than GPS altitude as (when working) it's a lot more accurate. Mine has been very good and stable with its readings (taunted me for 15 minutes whilst stuck 90ft up that **** tree before it blew down). It may just have one bad component that either got missed by QC or failed subsequent. You obviously have reason for a return and replacement (or refund if you wish) so I would contact them. According to their Facebook they are back to full staff and up to date with support emails, etc, so they should get back to you fairly promptly. Good thing is they can access all your stored data, so the error will be immediately apparent to them...

I don't know about them being up to date on the support emails. I received an email last week letting me know that my Live was shipped. 30 minutes later I get another saying that the cable was shipped as well (I goofed by forgetting to order the cable with the Live so I had to order twice). So I'm thinking both packages are on their way. Wrong! 4 days later only the wire shows up and then I realize that they had setup the same tracking numbers for both emails. I have emailed them numerous times trying to clarify the issue and even left a message on FB trying to change my order from the live to a core v2. They have close to $230.00usd of my money and all I have is a wire.... Oh and I placed my order on August 6th. This company is a complete joke! :evil:

pilotbcm20 said:
I don't know about them being up to date on the support emails. I received an email last week letting me know that my Live was shipped. 30 minutes later I get another saying that the cable was shipped as well (I goofed by forgetting to order the cable with the Live so I had to order twice). So I'm thinking both packages are on their way. Wrong! 4 days later only the wire shows up and then I realize that they had setup the same tracking numbers for both emails. I have emailed them numerous times trying to clarify the issue and even left a message on FB trying to change my order from the live to a core v2. They have close to $230.00usd of my money and all I have is a wire.... Oh and I placed my order on August 6th. This company is a complete joke! :evil:

Hi pilotbcm20 :)

I'm really sorry for the trouble with this. Due to the new Live release we had a major load with new orders and I'm afraid we made a mistake with this specific order. We basically combined the two orders together, but the order for the Live was missed when joining them together.

I know that the new Live is already on its way to you and was shipped earlier today. We also included the same cable once again with the new shipment to be on the safe side.

Again, I'm very sorry for this mistake as we're doing our best to get all orders shipped as quickly as possible. :)

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl