New Flytrex Goodies

nhoover said:
It's been over an hour since the 11 missions the Uploader tool found have been uploaded successfully. Shouldn't I see them on my Profile by now? There isn't another step I have to is there?

Hi nhoover :)

Yes, you should have seen those immediately in your Flytrex Profile. Also saw your email about this to our support. I'm checking this now to see what might have caused this..

allemtura said:
Hi Amit,

I just want to say thank you very much for taking the time to answer questions on this forum. I'm sure a lot of your customers regularly monitor these pages, and it's really reassuring to hear about all the fixes and future updates you're implementing. Seeing regular answers to questions on here will benefit everyone - it'll save repeat questions to the support email, and it will help people find answers to questions they didn't know they had until reading it on here.

I don't have a Facebook account for example, so your post about the new firmware and mission uploader tool was really useful!

Thanks Allemtura! :)

We'll do the best we can to keep users updated here as well. Sometimes this is a bit harder, especially when we start coding some major features and get drawn to it for a few days - but I'll try to reply as quickly as possible on a regular basis.

FYI.. I did my longest distance flight yet tonight, and the flytrex dropped connection almost immediately. I was able to pull the mission off using the new app over usb, and it successfully posted to my flytrex website, so that's a win for me!

I will tell you though, I was nervous as hell that it dropped off and I was flying a waypoint mission 2.5 miles away from me! LOL.. I literally put the controller down and went into the house to grab a beer... 12 minutes later, my 5.3 mile round trip was complete!

The flytrex was blinking green then purple.. if that means anything (I've not checked to see if the led page was updated yet)

ANYWAY.. I am almost convinced that the physical orientation of the flytrex, FLAT ON THE BOTTOM of the battery compartment might be an issue (too much EMI interference from the wifi/camera or gimbal?).. In looking at the circuit board from other posts, I believe the device will do better vertically... Hopefully it won't rain and I'll find out tomorrow.

.. I relocated it :)

nhoover said:
Jayson, can you attach a photo showing the new orientation? I am having similar problems here.

We must be thinking the same thing!

The awesome guys at Fusion Imaging ( http://www.shapeways.com/designer/fusionimaging ) have taken my idea for a Flytrex Live mount and made it a reality! I wanted to not just mount vertically but move it away from the battery (and other stuff) as much as possible. I wanted it to be easy to remove as I'm using a pigtail between the Flytrex and power source for quick removal. :)

The second advantage of this design is, if put together with the camera guard they've also designed for me, you now have a bit of protection for the gimbal from the rear and bottom.

If you haven't checked them out before on Shapeways, have a look. They do some really cool stuff!

*NOTE* Neither of the above are for sale yet as they're going through testing but they have let me order the Flytrex mount so I'll post a pic of it mounted when I get it.

Attachments

• IMG_0814.JPG
    IMG_0814.JPG
    72.5 KB · Views: 498
  • IMG_0815.JPG
    IMG_0815.JPG
    171.3 KB · Views: 387
I bought a h20wireless SIM card during beta testing of the Live and never could get it to connect here in California. From everything I read I believe it should've worked but we tried a few APNs and had no joy. So I ended up back on T-Mobile even though it costs slightly more ($10/mo for 1gb).

And I think your price is wrong - it's per 100mb isn't it? I was on the $20/90 days for 200mb data plan.

https://www.h2owirelessnow.com/mainCont ... ge=planMin
It's $10 for 100MB, $20 for 200MB, etc Pas-As-You-Go plans. Whatever you buy, you have 90 days to use it. So if you are on the $10/100MB plan and you use 100MB in 29 days, then you need to buy more, but if you use only 75GB in 90 days, it expires and you have to buy more at the end of the 90 days. 100MB is a lot for the little amount of data this uses. Very doubtful I'd use 100GB in 90 days. So for $3/mo I'm interested. At $10/mo, I'll hold off on buying a Flytrex until I use my Phantom more (spring time maybe) or wait until Flytrex can use H20 Wireless or similar.

Edit: Actually it looks like if you only use 75MB in 89 days, and you add on another $10 before it expires, that 25MB rolls over until your new amount expires (90 days from last time you added $$).

-Scott

On my screen, all those numbers are in MB, not GB - big difference. And think about it compared to any other wireless plan you have or have heard of. Yes they are usually measured in GB/month, but the numbers are typically single digit or maybe 10, not 100 and certainly not at that price.

But the Flytrex data is quite compressed and compact. We calculated you could fly 12 hours a week and still only use 200MB per month.

here is how I've mounted my flytrex.. I need to do more flying with it in different locations before I can say if it's better or really any different like this.
Just some hot glue (the double sided tape was destroyed removing it).. and I'd bet it'd need several hours on asphalt in the middle of a desert to melt loose..

Attachments

• vertical_flytrex1.jpg
    vertical_flytrex1.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 471
nhoover said:
But the Flytrex data is quite compressed and compact. We calculated you could fly 12 hours a week and still only use 200MB per month.

Given that, you'd have to fly over 70 flights (average 20 min/flight) to use up your 100MB. So up to 25 flights a month.

-Scott

Jayson, nice mounting idea - hadn't thought of that. I was out this evening flying and did two similar flights. I was watching on a laptop since I was going further than the FPV really works. Both went about 1.8 miles and the Live only recorded the first 1.5 miles of the first flight, then just stopped. The /live page died, and when I got home the flight was on my profile but truncated at 1.5 miles. The second flight was fully recorded. The area where the first one died has great T-Mobile coverage and should have no problem. Did you notice any improvement mounted vertically? I might give that a try tomorrow.

Here's the flight where it worked: http://www.flytrex.com/mission/quadcopt ... ver-77188/

Hi all,

I posted a few days back about a Flytrex Live mount that the guys at Fusion Imaging were making for me. Here is a picture of the mount on my PV2+

So far having the box away from the body seems to be helping and the flights I've done since installing have been consistent without dropping connection. Overall I'm very happy!! :D

If you're interested you can get yours here! http://shpws.me/w7Wm

Attachments

• vision.jpg
    vision.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 431
I pay the $10per month with Tmobile. However, they are raising it to $20 a month beginning the 1st of January. I SERIOUSLY DOUBT I will invest $240 a year into a $200 device that is not the only option available. If you bought it so someone can watch a animated version of when you are flying, then it may be worth added yearly expense. As the pilot, I can not watch the live stream, nor can I watch it later, unless I screen record which no good without having control of any features of the flight. Or I guess I could take the .kml file and run it through Google Earth and watch the flight at a later time.

If I was on the Flytrex team, I would try to talk them into this idea I've had for sometime now. Which consist of adding the video from our flight into some of their current features and collected data.

At the speeds you go Frank I'm not sure even the Live display can keep up anyway! :D

We were talking about how cool it would be if (using a 3G or better modem), a low-res video feed could also be posted along with the telemetry data. I do have a spare tablet - have been flying with the DJI app on an iPad and the /live page up on a Nexus 10 (since my phone screen is really too small for that display) and when everything is working it is beautiful and amazing. With video it would be super amazing!

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dlr11164