New FAA Regulation Requires UAV Owners to Display Drone ID on Exterior

Thanks, yes I got the CASA doc (AC101-1 V2) too, saw that populous area example (one person) - don’t think they helped themselves using a single person as an example..
But my understanding is one must register drone in US, vs pilot in Oz (and only if flying commercially). Not seen any requirement other than to carry ARN with you, definitely not on AC - it wouldn’t make sense as (say) more than one person may fly a drone, and we aren’t then saying every pilots ARN is on AC..

Edit: sorry guys I realise this is an FAA thread, I’m off topic.

Thanks, yes I got the CASA doc (AC101-1 V2) too, saw that populous area example (one person) - don’t think they helped themselves using a single person as an example..
But my understanding is one must register drone in US, vs pilot in Oz (and only if flying commercially). Not seen any requirement other than to carry ARN with you, definitely not on AC - it wouldn’t make sense as (say) more than one person may fly a drone, and we aren’t then saying every pilots ARN is on AC..

Edit: sorry guys I realise this is an FAA thread, I’m off topic.

It's in there somewhere and must be fire proof.
We don't have to get an ARN at the moment but I don't think it's very far off judging by what's happening elsewhere.
Me too guys

I haven't dug into it too deeply (yet) to know when this might take affect but it's good to know ahead of time.

For the record I feel like this should have been the requirement since day (1) but the FAA didn't ask my advice LOL.

I expect we will hear a lot more about this as news of it gets out into the public and people start reacting to it.
For the record, I'd wager most already display their numbers on the exterior...

I've always wondered what might happen if an observer happened to see your number on the outside and make note of it, and then use it on another craft that is found in violation of FAA regs at some point down the road. That's why I put mine in the battery compartment originally. I have it on the outside now but still have that question in my mind ?

I've always wondered what might happen if an observer happened to see your number on the outside and make note of it, and then use it on another craft that is found in violation of FAA regs at some point down the road. That's why I put mine in the battery compartment originally. I have it on the outside now but still have that question in my mind ?
If anyone is going to do something nefarious, I would imagine they don't care about stealing a $5 registration #. ;)

Colorado already started adding Use Tax to our 2017 Income tax forms trying to collect on Internet purchases. That's a hefty price on a P2P+ purchase. We have a Marijuana Tax. Guess the next thing to come along will be a state registration sticker like found on every boat in about every state affixed along side displaying one with our drone registration number.

I'm a total noob, but the first thing I did was to put my registration number on one side and a sticker which reads Reward Call 312-560-xxxx on the other. Figure it is worth a shot in case it takes off on me.
Worked for me. After several months of sitting in a forest glen some hunter found it and called me. After some drying out and replacing two frozen motors, it works fine......

Now if it was just the FAA number, the hunter would have probably looked at it, puzzled for a few seconds about a seemingly random 7 digit sequence ('maybe its' a password?') and then given it to his three year old to play with.

Reactions: yorlik and Coach56
CASA sent out a suggestions sheet a while back and I actually suggested it on there but have heard nothing.
Strange for a govt dept not to get back to you.
I also suggested we be allowed to fly at night but I can't see them approving that.
You can apply for a waiver for night flying. Not general, but for a specific area/time.

Reactions: Uncle Stumpy
I haven't dug into it too deeply (yet) to know when this might take affect but it's good to know ahead of time.

For the record I feel like this should have been the requirement since day (1) but the FAA didn't ask my advice LOL.

I expect we will hear a lot more about this as news of it gets out into the public and people start reacting to it.
Stupid question, but you mean the FAA registration number?
Or the actual aircraft number? Thanks Al

You can apply for a waiver for night flying. Not general, but for a specific area/time.
I love your logo! Im an old guy and actually read his comics when he was doing them. I have the Keep on Trucking logo on everything.

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    278.1 KB · Views: 272
Stupid question, but you mean the FAA registration number?
Or the actual aircraft number? Thanks Al

FAA Registration #.

The aircraft is registered to you and this number establishes that you are the responsible operator. This is why you can place it on ALL the model aircraft you operate.

FAA Registration #.

The aircraft is registered to you and this number establishes that you are the responsible operator. This is why you can place it on ALL the model aircraft you operate.
I already do. Thank you Al! Can I bother you with one more question? My brother is moving to just outside of Mesa Arizona, where there are obviously mesas. If we hike onto the mesa to 100 feet altitude, can I fly 400 feet from there, or only 300 feet? I never did understand how this works.

I already do. Thank you Al! Can I bother you with one more question? My brother is moving to just outside of Mesa Arizona, where there are obviously mesas. If we hike onto the mesa to 100 feet altitude, can I fly 400 feet from there, or only 300 feet? I never did understand how this works.
You can fly 400 feet above ground level.

I think there was a local regulation (Hollywood, CA???) that insisted that the number be printed in 3 inch (or some arbitrary and ridiculously large size) for little UAVs.

Don't give them ideas.
you could drag a banner with the number! LOL

Reactions: Uncle Stumpy

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brianklenhart