New FAA Regulation Requires UAV Owners to Display Drone ID on Exterior

BigAl07

Administrator
Staff Member
Premium Pilot
Reaction score
I haven't dug into it too deeply (yet) to know when this might take affect but it's good to know ahead of time.

For the record I feel like this should have been the requirement since day (1) but the FAA didn't ask my advice LOL.

New FAA Regulation Requires UAV Owners to Display Drone ID on Exterior

I expect we will hear a lot more about this as news of it gets out into the public and people start reacting to it.

Mine has been on the outside since the day I received it. Now, if they decide to regulate the font size, that might be tricky.....o_O

Exactly right
They should have been registered at point of sale and the serial number recorded

BINGO! That's a splendid idea that should have been implemented back in 2014 or 2015. I'd like to see it put into place tomorrow.

BINGO! That's a splendid idea that should have been implemented back in 2014 or 2015. I'd like to see it put into place tomorrow.

CASA sent out a suggestions sheet a while back and I actually suggested it on there but have heard nothing.
Strange for a govt dept not to get back to you.
I also suggested we be allowed to fly at night but I can't see them approving that.

Reactions: Loz and BigAl07
Al - that link points to a DJI advert (which we've all seen before) and a bit about a cool new (real) helicopter that, alas, is a bit beyond my reach financially. It did have it's tail number visible but we kinda expect that.

EDIT: Oh, RTFA. Not sure why the video is completely off topic. But it's a nice helicopter.

I've always put my FAA number on the outside. Perfectly useless so far. My phone number, OTOH, has been quite helpful. (You found it WHERE?)
??

Reactions: RunningWithScissors
LOL Thanks for the laugh my friend :)

Mine has been on the outside since the day I received it. Now, if they decide to regulate the font size, that might be tricky.....o_O
I think there was a local regulation (Hollywood, CA???) that insisted that the number be printed in 3 inch (or some arbitrary and ridiculously large size) for little UAVs.

Don't give them ideas.

I've always put my FAA number on the outside. Perfectly useless so far. My phone number, OTOH, has been quite helpful. (You found it WHERE?)

Same here. Reg# and contact info was on a label on the outside, but my phone# is what got it returned to me when it was MIA last year. Cannot say enough about having a phone number clearly visible somewhere on the drone.

Reactions: flockshot
Back in the Section 333 sUAS operations days, we had to use lettering "As large as is possible" on 2 sides of the aircraft (pretty much the same as manned aviation requires except I think they do have a minimum size allowed).

Reactions: godrocksu
My guess is that most folks already have it that way.
One would think so but I know several who "prefer" to have it in some hidden/secret place just because they can.

I assume this has to go through the standard 90 day comment period etc since it's not an "Imminent Public Safety Event". So probably 4-6 months from now it will be LAW.

Down here in Oz it has to a fire proof label.
I got my ARN engraved on an aluminium dog collar tag and attached it to my Trackimo holder.

News to me, thanks Phil - assume you referring to ARN? Where can one find this info please? Cheers

News to me, thanks Phil - assume you referring to ARN? Where can one find this info please? Cheers
Hi Loz
Yep it's the ARN.
I got it in email from CASA but it's about 50 pages long and I can't find the clause at the moment.
They've also decided that one person constitutes a "populous area"/
For example, if a rotorcraft-type RPA is flying at a relatively low height (i.e. 100 ft) directly above a single person not associated with the flight, it may be considered to be operating in a populous area due to the fact that a complete loss of power may cause injury to the person below.

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4