New Drone ?

Reaction score
I am looking to get another Drone. I would like some opinions.I couldn't think of a better place to ask then here. A little history. I have a few drones the Q-500,the Breeze
A P-4.the Tello and a lot of toy ones. What I wand is a good drone for videos.Do I go with Mavic its a little pricey? Sparks? I am not sure about the camera. Parrot Anafi? or do I just save up my money and splurge for the Inspire? Witch would take me a few years to save for and since I an just a hobbyist is that over kill?
Good questions! I am in no hurry really just not sure what I should do next.

Ed I can only advise on my personal experience. I lost my drone a year ago and was going thru the same dilemma. Doing all kinds of research. I got a P4A same camera as the pro with the 1” sensor. 4K @60fps. The video is incredible. I bough mine refurbished for 900.00. The next best camera is the x5 with a 4/3 sensor on the inspire 2 which is super pricey as you know. P4A best bang for your buck with video and stills. You can capture stills in 2/3 format just like the inspire 2.

Reactions: Capt KO
DenMac Thanks for the info. I was kind of leaning towards that. Just wanted to see what others think. I don't know if I am going to go for that yet
or wait a year and see what new drones come out. P-5 ??

I have a P3A and a spark. The phantom in my view is too bulky for carrying around, the spark perfect. And for me the videos and stills are good enough. Like you im a hobbyist, so it suits me fine, and it’s not too pricey.

I am looking to get another Drone. I would like some opinions.I couldn't think of a better place to ask then here. A little history. I have a few drones the Q-500,the Breeze
A P-4.the Tello and a lot of toy ones. What I wand is a good drone for videos.Do I go with Mavic its a little pricey? Sparks? I am not sure about the camera. Parrot Anafi? or do I just save up my money and splurge for the Inspire? Witch would take me a few years to save for and since I an just a hobbyist is that over kill?
Good questions! I am in no hurry really just not sure what I should do next.
Mavic mini. The exact same thing as a mavic pro just smaller and not as much it's the big brother of the spark and it's a decent choice as well it's no toy as long as you have the controller. I think they just came out less than a week ago for a roughly four hundred bucks

Mavic mini. The exact same thing as a mavic pro just smaller and not as much it's the big brother of the spark and it's a decent choice as well it's no toy as long as you have the controller. I think they just came out less than a week ago for a roughly four hundred bucks
I just looked on DJI website, no Mavic Mini, got a link?

I never heard of a Mavic Mini I will definitely look into that. THANKS

I just looked on DJI website, no Mavic Mini, got a link?

that just shows you a little bit about it but there's not an official release date although they say it's going to come out before the holiday season which would make it within the next couple of months very soon and actually priced I think just under the amount of the spark with longer flight time and all that jazz it's going to replace the spark I believe but being upgrade at the same time

that just shows you a little bit about it but there's not an official release date although they say it's going to come out before the holiday season which would make it within the next couple of months very soon and actually priced I think just under the amount of the spark with longer flight time and all that jazz it's going to replace the spark I believe but being upgrade at the same time

When someone asks what they should get, I try to stick to facts.

There is a lot of speculation, and you can see a lot more about it over on the MavicPilots forum, but I have been following DJI since around the time of the P3 release and I can tell you that this is all just hype. In the pictures that have been "leaked" you can see that wires are exposed, props are being held on with Phillips head screws, there are no flight LED's and the list goes on and on. We may see this quad before Christmas, and we may not. Have a look at these 2 posts over at MavicPilots and see if you think this thing looks even close to ready for production, let alone purchase.

When someone asks what they should get, I try to stick to facts.

There is a lot of speculation, and you can see a lot more about it over on the MavicPilots forum, but I have been following DJI since around the time of the P3 release and I can tell you that this is all just hype. In the pictures that have been "leaked" you can see that wires are exposed, props are being held on with Phillips head screws, there are no flight LED's and the list goes on and on. We may see this quad before Christmas, and we may not. Have a look at these 2 posts over at MavicPilots and see if you think this thing looks even close to ready for production, let alone purchase.

Mr knows better than all us idiots here, The man asked for some suggestions therefore I gave mine. That article is literally just the 1st one that popped up so I linked it so he could then do his own research as to what HE thought HE might wanna do. At no time did I ever state "hey look at this here it says the mavic mini will be released tonight at midnight and it's gonna be the drone of all drones, you can even ride them screw fpv"...so

just because you've been fooled before by believing something you shouldn't have doesn't mean everybody else gets fooled the same way I'm sorry.I'm not going to pass on any information unless I think it's good you know why because my name is tied to it it only makes sense. and again if you actually did some research you would realize it's not just hype. There's not just one picture leaked that happened to be the one you saw with the article that you read. . I don't really care what's being said over on another forum you know why ? because this is this forum and that is that forum. Do you know the same people I know do you even know me no and no. Do I have two family members that actually work for DJI in China? Yeah yeah I sure do. do they know everything that goes on no nobody knows everything that goes on in a corporation and no they don't leak anything out to me but I can tell you one thing it will drop before the holidays mark my word and if I'm wrong you can come back here and make me look like a fool. But we both know that's not going to happen.

Dear @Fatman Fantom,

I do not "know better", and I didn't attack you personally, I only stated facts, but apparently you have a thin skin. I never called you (or anyone else) an idiot, and you're correct, I do not know you since you joined THIS FORUM one day ago! You said, and I quote

Mavic mini... I think they just came out less than a week ago for a roughly four hundred bucks

So I, like an "idiot" I went to see this amazing quad that "just came out less than a week ago for roughly four hundred bucks".

Since you JUST JOINED THIS FORUM, and you (quote) "have family members that actually work for DJI", I will take your comments for what they are worth, and hope this quad lands before the holidays for all the people who want to get into this great hobby with a great quad from DJI.

Sincerely,
HTP

I have 2 P4P+ can't go wrong
I agree, I have a P4P+ and everywhere I take it people are blown away with the feature set and the display clarity and brightness. It has never failed to do what it was advertised. I have taken it 6 miles out over the water a few dozen times and it has never had even a glitch. For a more compact size I have been looking at the pro and pro platinum Mavic series since the prices are dropping a bit now.

Reactions: shammel00
With respect to all...

I am not sure how anyone can "recommend" anything that is not yet on the market and therefore hasn't even been tested by the market yet. When someone asks me for a recommendation on anything I will only offer a recommendation on something I have actually had some experience with.

By the way, I am a hobbiest and do fly a Phantom 4 Standard. I have been very happy with it. Now that I have some experience behind me, I will certainly be investigating a product with a higher end camera for my next one. I do know someone who has the Mavic Pro 2 and he is extremely happy with it. That is one I will be giving serious thought to... after I get a first hand look at his images.

I am a firm believer in the P4 series. The advanced and the pro have got to be just about the best commercial, affordable, photography drones made. You see them all the time on the Discovery and History channel. Extremely stable, you will not be disappointed. They also are not going down in price, if you decide to upgrade just sell the P4A or P. I sold a P4A, never flown, for $750, and regretted it ever since. Still have the P4P and a brand new washing machine. Wife’s happy, me not so much, but like clean clothes. You’ve gotten a lot of advice, best of luck on your decision. Have fun, fly safe.

Remember, that the P4 series has a mechanical shutter. The Mavic series (at this time) does not. It is electronic. There is a difference. With the mechanical shutter you are able to take shots while in motion. The Mavic’s shutter has more difficulty doing this. Worth checking out first. Maybe someone here can give you more information on this. Best of luck

Reactions: HighTechPauper
Ok, after this I’ll stop. Watched Josh Gates on Nat Geo, Trvl, etc channels, doing one of his many Archaeological dig’s. They had to climb a mountain. The leader of the expedition grabbed a Mavic so he could climb. Explained he would have to leave his regular drone behind. The cameraman scanned over and, low and behold, it was a P4P. Two choices, and each had their place.

For me, with 2 P4’s and a P4P, I have no choice. I fly in wind, rain (with wetsuits), and occasionally carry heavy loads that only P4’s can deliver. Decisions, decisions. Have fun.

Last edited:
I have a Air, P4Pv4 and Mavic 2.
Lately I'm just using the Mavic 2. Primarily because it is easier to transport, much much quieter and works with the DJI Smart Controller.
The mechanical shutter is not an issue with me so far.
YMMV.

Reactions: Capt KO
Thanks for all the response I think I’m gonna take my time with this.. Keep on giving me your opinions . I will probably do something next year ?

IMO the P4 Pro is still the best for stability and quality of the video with its 1 inch sensor. I was not sure about buying a Mavic 2 or the P4P but looking at comparison videos on YouTube, it became clear that nothing currently beats the P4P for the video and photo quality. My brother has the Mavic Air and he COULD NOT believe the quality of my footage when we were flying side by side and having the exact same lighting conditions!

There are still P4P that you can get on sale since it is discontinued. I got mine for half the price of the Mavic 2 Pro! I go to destinations by car so portability is not an issue.

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj