New dji/UAV user/flier Association—Independent or AMA?

Reaction score
There have been a number of threads on other topics which have included comments about the need for us to unite as a group, in an effort to make sure that the infamous antics of a few don’t get all of us either over-regulated or outlawed. But I haven’t seen any discussion which has spawned such an organization. Have I just missed it? And before someone suggests just join AMA, unless the AMA has set up a defined sub-group for multi-rotors I question how we can ever achieve our needs by getting lost among the fixed wing boys. We could not expect our representational needs to be met by them. When the public clamors for more laws, they have us in mind, whirlybirds, craft capable of hovering outside their windows; they’re not afraid of fixed-wings.

Back to my point. If there’s not yet a national organization dedicated to improving our image and otherwise representing our image, how long do you think we’ll last before extinction? I give us 2-5 years.

Extinction? Probably not. I think our best hope is the Aircraft Owners and Pilots Association. They have opened up a new membership category for UAV pilots since there is now an FAA license issued for one. I just haven't seen them begin to take any action. Perhaps they are in some of the behind the scenes discussions, but it is uncertain.

What I will say, is the AOPA has certainly come to the defense of general aviation with a vengeance, including at the local level when needed. The more UAV pilots that join and donate, the more our voices are heard. The AMA is pretty much passive and I wouldn't count on them to fight for much of anyone.

Extinction? Probably not. I think our best hope is the Aircraft Owners and Pilots Association. They have opened up a new membership category for UAV pilots since there is now an FAA license issued for one. I just haven't seen them begin to take any action. Perhaps they are in some of the behind the scenes discussions, but it is uncertain.

What I will say, is the AOPA has certainly come to the defense of general aviation with a vengeance, including at the local level when needed. The more UAV pilots that join and donate, the more our voices are heard. The AMA is pretty much passive and I wouldn't count on them to fight for much of anyone.
Interesting idea; if they’ll really advocate for us I’d join.

The problem is that drones and drone owners will quickly dwarf the GA numbers for pilots and craft. You risk the tail wagging the dog.

The problem is that drones and drone owners will quickly dwarf the GA numbers for pilots and craft. You risk the tail wagging the dog.

I'm not even the least bit concerned about AOPA leaving their roots of supporting GA. And I do hope thousands and thousands of drone pilots sign up as members. And quite frankly, as a manned aircraft pilot, I do want an organization involved in all sides to help everyone better understand how UAVs can be successfully integrated even deeper than they are now.

Reactions: BigAl07 and Bazza.
I'm not even the least bit concerned about AOPA leaving their roots of supporting GA. And I do hope thousands and thousands of drone pilots sign up as members. And quite frankly, as a manned aircraft pilot, I do want an organization involved in all sides to help everyone better understand how UAVs can be successfully integrated even deeper than they are now.
I don't disagree. My point was that you could have a distinct minority of members, i.e., licensed GA pilots, trying to represent the interest of US owners.

Providing you have a majority of drone pilots/ owners join AOPA.

Some Statistics - as of 2016, 584,000~ active US pilots; 384,900 AOPA members

Although I'd love to see the sUAV industry better represented, I don't see great numbers of sUAV pilots/ owners flocking to join AOPA despite an estimated 800,000 higher performing drones now in the US. IMO we are in a "drone renaissance" or fad period. I see the interest somewhat slowing down, especially if the average Joe is faced with complying with more regulation or public scrutiny - ex. local anti-drone ordinances/ negative public opinion. AOPA, although representative of pilot and aircraft owner rights is very "pro regulation compliant", something I don't see the average Joe hobbyist taking to, especially those who buy these aircraft and know little or nothing about aviation.

Assuming that s/UAV owner/ operators will dwarf manned aircraft owner/ operators with regards to AOPA membership is speculation at best.

Last edited:
Providing you have a majority of drone pilots/ owners join AOPA.

Some Statistics - as of 2016, 584,000~ active US pilots; 384,900 AOPA members

Although I'd love to see the sUAV industry better represented, I don't see great numbers of sUAV pilots/ owners flocking to join AOPA despite an estimated 800,000 higher performing drones now in the US. IMO we are in a "drone renaissance" or fad period. I see the interest somewhat slowing down, especially if the average Joe is faced with complying with more regulation or public scrutiny - ex. local anti-drone ordinances/ negative public opinion. AOPA, although representative of pilot and aircraft owner rights is very "pro regulation compliant", something I don't see the average Joe hobbyist taking to, especially those who buy these aircraft and know little or nothing about aviation.

Assuming that s/UAV owner/ operators will dwarf manned aircraft owner/ operators with regards to AOPA membership is speculation at best.

Pretty much agree with you here. I don't see hobbyist joining at all unlike where you might see recreational and private pilots, along with aircraft owners joining. I would only see Part 107 pilots joining for the regulatory support and we are still in the "thinning the herd" phase. Over the next few years, you will see many Part 107 pilots just drop off because the market is saturated. My guess...about 30% or so of Part 107 pilots after 3-5 years will be a part of AOPA. I hope for a larger percentage, but they will need to recognize the value before many will join and continue to renew.

Reactions: FLYBOYJ
Pretty much agree with you here. I don't see hobbyist joining at all unlike where you might see recreational and private pilots, along with aircraft owners joining. I would only see Part 107 pilots joining for the regulatory support and we are still in the "thinning the herd" phase. Over the next few years, you will see many Part 107 pilots just drop off because the market is saturated. My guess...about 30% or so of Part 107 pilots after 3-5 years will be a part of AOPA. I hope for a larger percentage, but they will need to recognize the value before many will join and continue to renew.

Agree. I also see the heard thinning when many newly minted 107 pilots realize their certificate is up for renewal. Especially so if the feds make the initial testing and renewal process more difficult, something I understand is being knocked around.

Agree. I also see the heard thinning when many newly minted 107 pilots realize their certificate is up for renewal. Especially so if the feds make the initial testing and renewal process more difficult, something I understand is being knocked around.
While I can't say I have any real thought as to whether they will make it more difficult or not in the near future, I predict it will be much easier longer term. The value UAS can potentially bring to the economy is almost incalculable. Given that much of what Part 107 is almost completely irrelevant for UAS operation and a hold-over from GA standards and that those are many of the hardest issues for people, I can easily imaging a significant re-write to focus much more on drone specific issues and policies.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl