New DJI 9450 Props coming out for P/P2/E300

chuddly said:
OI....have you looked a P1 with P2V props on it....it they went any bigger they would hit not only each other but the top she'll also
Arnt the p1 and the p2 the same size? Folks sticking p1 in p2 shells use the p1 upper shell.

Wedeliver said:
chuddly said:
OI....have you looked a P1 with P2V props on it....it they went any bigger they would hit not only each other but the top she'll also
Arnt the p1 and the p2 the same size? Folks sticking p1 in p2 shells use the p1 upper shell.

On P1 to P2 conversions we're using the complete P2 shells.(larger battery and/or to run dual batteries internal) To answer question - yes they're basically same size except for battery/belly.

BTW - nice review El G

Would some kind/brave soul that has these props run a VRS test on them? Take your most beat up P2, with older, non-descent-rate-limited firmware, and put the weight equivalent of H3-3D + Hero3+ underneath (no need to risk real gear in this test), and run hard descents (straight down, and perhaps down at a 45 degree slope) with the current P2 stock props and the new props, over a soft grassy field, and see if you can measure a noticeable difference in VRS vulnerability? Ideally with OSD + DVR, but OSD doesn't need live video, just stats on horizontal and vertical speed. Okay, live video would be good, but only if you have a beat up GoPro that doubles as a hockey puck in its spare time.

Kelly

I really am looking forward to these props. I have always been a little curious why the current P2v props are SO THIN!?!?!? They flex a TON. I would think that that would cause slower response on a lot of the movements.

ElG- So with a 30% (estimated) lower throttle to hover then these in theory should give you longer flight time? or at least longer hover time. I don't know what their characteristics are for acceleration so they could be less efficient in that but at least longer hover times

EMCSQUAR said:
Wedeliver said:
chuddly said:

On P1 to P2 conversions we're using the complete P2 shells.(larger battery and/or to run dual batteries internal) To answer question - yes they're basically same size except for battery/belly.

BTW - nice review El G

I wasnt talking about the shell...i was talking about the difference in prop length from the P1 props to the P2v props

wkf94025 said:
Would some kind/brave soul that has these props run a VRS test on them? Take your most beat up P2, with older, non-descent-rate-limited firmware, and put the weight equivalent of H3-3D + Hero3+ underneath (no need to risk real gear in this test), and run hard descents (straight down, and perhaps down at a 45 degree slope) with the current P2 stock props and the new props, over a soft grassy field, and see if you can measure a noticeable difference in VRS vulnerability? Ideally with OSD + DVR, but OSD doesn't need live video, just stats on horizontal and vertical speed. Okay, live video would be good, but only if you have a beat up GoPro that doubles as a hockey puck in its spare time.

Kelly

I did a couple of manual-mode drops on the P2V+ and couldn't get VRS on either 9443 or 9450. Also couldn't get it in GPS with the limited descent rate of course.

I'm going to throw these on my P1 today or tomorrow and see if there's any noticeable difference in stability during descent, but I have a feeling this will be a much more subjective test than expected...

How easily can you identify the 9450s? Are they stamped with the model number or some other identifier? In other words, if I have a bunch of mixed props in my kit, how likely am I to pull out 4 of the same type without really studying them?
Because I would think mixing 9450s with 9443s on the same flight would be disastrous.

Just knowing how liability-conscious DJI is, I would be surprised if they didn't make it absolutely clear what props were which (actually, knowing how liability-conscious DJI is, I'm surprised they didn't mold the 9450s in hot pink, so you'd know).

ProfessorStein said:
How easily can you identify the 9450s? Are they stamped with the model number or some other identifier? In other words, if I have a bunch of mixed props in my kit, how likely am I to pull out 4 of the same type without really studying them?
Because I would think mixing 9450s with 9443s on the same flight would be disastrous.

Just knowing how liability-conscious DJI is, I would be surprised if they didn't make it absolutely clear what props were which (actually, knowing how liability-conscious DJI is, I'm surprised they didn't mold the 9450s in hot pink, so you'd know).

They're printed 9450 and 9450 R on the upper edge of the blades, just like the 9443s. Tiny lettering. Would you need to look at them closely to tell? Yeah, probably.
You could feel the bottom root of the blade for the telltale 9443 bulge, and flex the tips to see if they're stiffer, but I would probably mark or otherwise doublecheck before using :)

damoncooper said:
Any word on when these might be available?
No word from DJI, but these came in retail packaging, so my guess is they're pretty much good to go?

Just curious where you able to invoke VRS with the maneuvers above using your previous propellers?

(just to complete the before and after scenarios)

I have to say it again...I am fairly excited to try these things out. It sounds like DJI has addressed the things i saw as short comings on the previous props

ElGuano said:
damoncooper said:
No word from DJI, but these came in retail packaging, so my guess is they're pretty much good to go?

Will you be conducting any tests with prop guards installed? Yes, after 24 flights - no crashes or fall overs, I still have the training wheels on....for now. ;>)

damoncooper said:
Just curious where you able to invoke VRS with the maneuvers above using your previous propellers?

I rarely TRY to induce VRS :) I tested hard decel in manual on both sets of props yesterday, so the nonevent is really pilot inability to trigger. I shouldn't be complaining about that I guess :). I think I have a lot of best practices drilled into my head so intentionally breaking those is subconsciously difficult.

Gator113 said:
ElGuano said:
damoncooper said:

Will you be conducting any tests with prop guards installed? Yes, after 24 flights - no crashes or fall overs, I still have the training wheels on....for now. ;>)

I don't have prop guards so won't be testing those. But they (along with side-mounted dual-battery plates) are probably the number one cause of VRS so hopefully someone with them can try and see if there is a difference.

ElGuano said:
damoncooper said:

I rarely TRY to induce VRS :) I tested hard decel in manual on both sets of props yesterday, so the nonevent is really pilot inability to trigger. I shouldn't be complaining about that I guess :). I think I have a lot of best practices drilled into my head so intentionally breaking those is subconsciously difficult.

Now, now...where's your sense of adventure? :) Understood. A comparison where VRS is avoided by using these would be awesome though, but we'd need a volunteer and a giant stuntman airbag to catch the afflicted craft.

Your local high school or college pole vaulting pit is the cheapest stuntman bag you can find. Though that would only work for straight down descents, which is arguably more controllable/repeatable than diagonal descents.

Kelly

Depending how how your quad is set up it can be hard to tell if you are experiencing any kind of VRS or not. With a good gimbal it can mask a craft not dropping smoothly. To me and with my real world experience it seems that the more weight there is as a ratio to the amount of lift would exaggerate the VRS syndrome to the point of loss of control. When I first got my FC40 I noticed the rocking that occured when I started desent. I have no idea if that rocking is VRS or if the motors are working in a funny way or not. These new props will be an interesting test and I am looking forward to it.

Mori55 said:
I think the rocking is from your prop wash , dirty air , turbulence.

Very well could be just "your prop wash , dirty air , turbulence" since I am descending into the area that my props have been pushing air, I wonder if this rocking could it be a precursor to VRS? It is an interesting event to see that rocking and I have seen lots of other rigid cameras show the same rocking as they descend. Mori55, do you have any videos I can watch that might 'splain it to me? I will wait to be educated...!!

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj