New Camera / FPV combo for Plus

Reaction score
As an experiment I destroyed the camera/gimbal assembly on my Vision Plus by flying laterally into a basketball hoop.

To complete the modification I removed the remains of gimbal and camera, tested the Phantom, and it seems to be performing without fault.

Now just wondering if anyone has any suggestions for installing a new camera, gimbal, FPV combo. I realize that most such combos are designed with the P2 in mind, so I am wondering how these kits would work with a Vision plus?

I am thinking about a universal mount so I can experiment with different types of cameras.

Eventually I will probably put the original parts back on, but these spares are not yet available...

I was wondering if you could use the Zenmuse HD-3D and wire it into the current FPV system. Anyone out there know if that's possible?

wharfbanger said:
As an experiment I destroyed the camera/gimbal assembly on my Vision Plus by flying laterally into a basketball hoop.

To complete the modification I removed the remains of gimbal and camera, tested the Phantom, and it seems to be performing without fault.

Now just wondering if anyone has any suggestions for installing a new camera, gimbal, FPV combo. I realize that most such combos are designed with the P2 in mind, so I am wondering how these kits would work with a Vision plus?

I am thinking about a universal mount so I can experiment with different types of cameras.

Eventually I will probably put the original parts back on, but these spares are not yet available...

Isnt the Vision + essentially a Zenmuse h3-3d and a cheaper gopro type cam?

dragonash said:
wharfbanger said:

Isnt the Vision + essentially a Zenmuse h3-3d and a cheaper gopro type cam?
No I think these components are quite different.

What's mainly different is the Vision+ uses 5.8 Ghz for flight controls, and 2.4 Ghz for Wi-Fi FPV. A Phantom with the H3 uses 2.4 Ghz for flight control, and it has no FPV unless you add it yourself. Whatever you add for FPV, it will be 5.8 Ghz. Basically the controls & FPV frequencies are reversed. Also, with the GoPro setup, I believe you have to begin recording before lifting off. You can't start/stop recording, or change settings once you are airborne. You can control gimbal tilt.

Have you contacted DJI and inquired about the availability and price of a factory gimbal/camera assembly? Its probably not cheap, but if you remove the camera, I believe you are eliminating your FPV also. So you will need a H3-3D, a GoPro, an FPV solution, plus you have to hook it all up yourself. That may be more or comparable to purchasing a factory replacement.

Dirty Bird said:
What's mainly different is the Vision+ uses 5.8 Ghz for flight controls, and 2.4 Ghz for Wi-Fi FPV. A Phantom with the H3 uses 2.4 Ghz for flight control, and it has no FPV unless you add it yourself. Whatever you add for FPV, it will be 5.8 Ghz. Basically the controls & FPV frequencies are reversed. Also, with the GoPro setup, I believe you have to begin recording before lifting off. You can't start/stop recording, or change settings once you are airborne. You can control gimbal tilt.

Have you contacted DJI and inquired about the availability and price of a factory gimbal/camera assembly? Its probably not cheap, but if you remove the camera, I believe you are eliminating your FPV also. So you will need a H3-3D, a GoPro, an FPV solution, plus you have to hook it all up yourself. That may be more or comparable to purchasing a factory replacement.

Thanks for the info DirtyBird. I have tried DJI but they do not deal directly on tech support issues. Their policy is to go through the dealer. I agree that by adding H3-3D, a GoPro, and FPV solution, I could nearly buy another PV+. At present I am resigned to waiting for replacement parts to be available. Keeping my mind open in the meantime though in case a fun and clever alternative presents itself.

hi.. sorry abit of topic.

how broken is the camera? is it still intact and just not working, or is it totally smashed up?

im looking for a broken camera in order to try changing the lens on it to none fisheye, but i don't want to break open my new camera on my plus.

Alib said:
hi.. sorry abit of topic.

how broken is the camera? is it still intact and just not working, or is it totally smashed up?

im looking for a broken camera in order to try changing the lens on it to none fisheye, but i don't want to break open my new camera on my plus.

The camera is probably fine and I don't want to give it away. I would consider selling it to offset the cost of a replacement assembly, whenever that becomes available. Have you seen Milton's experiments?

I have a camera I'll sale ,you just need to plug in ribbon wire an it will be ready to go.
[email protected]
Let's make a deal , contact me.

I believe I'm going to go to a gopro, an Zenmuse h3 3d.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl