NEW 2800mAh

Tested my Zippy 2800mAh batteries, 2 batteries together with a Y splitter. I was hoping for 15-16 minutes, based on the assumption that 2 batteries would double flight time. Well, I can report that was not the case. I got just the same as with one battery. I think this is due to the extra weight of the battery and the carbon fibre platforms. I am not going to use the 2 battery method again. I am still getting 5 mins with my 2200mAh and 8 mins with my 2800mAh Zippys.

DeckerZ said:
Tested my Zippy 2800mAh batteries, 2 batteries together with a Y splitter. I was hoping for 15-16 minutes, based on the assumption that 2 batteries would double flight time. Well, I can report that was not the case. I got just the same as with one battery. I think this is due to the extra weight of the battery and the carbon fibre platforms. I am not going to use the 2 battery method again. I am still getting 5 mins with my 2200mAh and 8 mins with my 2800mAh Zippys.
You're right. It's a couple of things.

1. The extra weight of the second battery you have to carry, the mount, the hardware to secure it, the fact that the side-mounted versions are in the prop wash, the extra copper and plastic from the y-splitter, the extra heat shrink and foil pouch overhead of two batteries, all significantly decrease runtime on a "typical," unoptimized dual battery setup. To get the most out of them, you have to be assiduous in keeping weight down. In the best circumstances, dual will get you about 1.5-1.6x the flight time of a single battery.

2. I'm not a fan of Zippys, I have a few and they perform worse than any other battery I have. They're really get-what-you-pay-for quality IMO.

3. What is your AUW and payload? 5 min on 2200 is on the low end. You should be able to get 6-7min with a heavily loaded phantom, and 9-11 with a bigger 2700-2800mah battery. I have a feeling you are leaving unused watts on the table with your current voltage alarms.

Really???? I get 6-7 min with camera,gimbal, and FPV set up on the stock 2200 batteries. Not just hovering either. Not flying crazy either. Just normal filming speed and turns. I was told that i could expect 8-9 out of the SMC. I hope that is possible and i will be happy with that.

chuddly said:
Really???? I get 6-7 min with camera,gimbal, and FPV set up on the stock 2200 batteries. Not just hovering either. Not flying crazy either. Just normal filming speed and turns. I was told that i could expect 8-9 out of the SMC. I hope that is possible and i will be happy with that.

Your numbers are really typical, and your expectations are realistic IMO. Going from 7 to min, a little more if you also switch to 9443 props, is about right.

ElGuano said:
...5 min on 2200 is on the low end. You should be able to get 6-7min with a heavily loaded phantom, and 9-11 with a bigger 2700-2800mah battery...
Yes, It is, for example, I with my AUW 1200 g, stock 2200 LiPo and 9443 props fly around 7-7.5 (max. 8.5) minutes. In the electrical system is also connected H3-2D gimbal , iOSD MkII and FPV Tx 250mW Boscam.

Now I'm waiting for the two new 2800 DinoLipo from Mark for tests, already sent from USA to Europe...

funtimegrandpa said:
While I was thinking about the times, I thought I would suggest that if you do not have iosd or a way other than watching the lights on the phantom to know when it is time to land, you can buy 2 of these Low Voltage Alarms for $7 http://www.ebay.com/itm/350972901014?_t ... EBIDX%3AIT

They are priceless in my opinion. I always set mine for 3.7 and that gives me at least a minute to get back and land. If you are daring set it for 3.6 as that is about the time your first red lights will start flashing.

My brother was told about this when he bought his FC40 and he did not listen to his older brother lol !!! and sure enough he put an uncharged battery in and was flying over some water. He did not make it back in time and it cost ME hours of time to get it working again!!!!! Last time I will help for something that could have been avoided.

All you do it connect it to your balance plug. Just my thoughts so take it or leave it.

Grandpa Jake

hi, noob question here
i'm looking to get this setup as well for safety but my gimbal's power runs off that connection of the battery and i'm wondering if it would work just the same if i got this?
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/DJI-Phantom-Powe ... 3568wt_982

also, how would you 'set' the buzzer up to the leve you want?

thanks in advance!

Ozzyguy said:
There is a button on the alarm that lets you toggle through voltage level until you get to the level you want to set.

oh sweet. thanks! so simple lol..do you know if that link of the splitter i posted will work? the splitted parts have 2 wires instead of the original 4 all connected from the battery.

no it will not work
it needs all 4 of the cables to be able to see the voltages on each of the cells in the battery

You're talking about the splitter for the balance plug? I had one of those come with the carbon fiber double battery thing and never used it. I tried to hook that up between my battery pack and the buzzer and got nothing. It seems like it would be used for powering some sort of external device like a video TX or a gimbal since it's only pulling power off the 3rd cell. I never used it for anything. Well, I lied. I pulled the pins out and resoldered them to make an extension cable to go from my stock battery pack to the buzzer I have mounted underneath the phantom. The SMC one would reach but the stock DJI one wouldn't.

Green_Phantom said:
You're talking about the splitter for the balance plug? I had one of those come with the carbon fiber double battery thing and never used it. I tried to hook that up between my battery pack and the buzzer and got nothing. It seems like it would be used for powering some sort of external device like a video TX or a gimbal since it's only pulling power off the 3rd cell. I never used it for anything. Well, I lied. I pulled the pins out and resoldered them to make an extension cable to go from my stock battery pack to the buzzer I have mounted underneath the phantom. The SMC one would reach but the stock DJI one wouldn't.

is the splitter that you speak of also have all 4 wires connected to the 2 that split out to? or is it just 2 wires much like the link i posted?

Yep, the one in the link is the same one I got with my dual battery kit. It only split 2 wires. The "-" and the #3 cell.
So I just yanked the middle two pins out of the male plug out (had nothing on them), desoldered the ones that had two wires each going to them, and soldered a pin to each wire. I then used a tiny screwdriver to get the snap in pin things to come out of one of those female connectors and plugged them into the middle two slots on the female plug I left hooked up. I then used some shrink wrap to tidy everything up a bit. Figured that I might as well get some use out of it.

Here's what she looks like.

Attachments

• IMG_20140715_212136.jpg
    IMG_20140715_212136.jpg
    891.4 KB · Views: 384
ah ok, so yeah you made an extension to make it longer. i'm looking for splitter though as my gimbal is powered through that link straight from the battery pack

Wtneo said:
Another option is the zippy 2800mah from HK - I have them on my phantom, loaded with a 3 axis gimbal, hero3 black, 200mw osd+fpv gear - I got 10mins, landing once battery hits 10.5v on load.

Cheaper and a lot cheaper/easier shipping options for people living outside America !

Cheers

Do these fit with a non modified door?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic