NEW 2800mAh

I bet a satoshi it's the height (~25mm side), just like the thunderpower cells.

65C is fine, it won't hurt at all, and probably won't help much. The C rating is like the diameter of your car's fuel line. When it's already big enough for your engine, it doesn't matter if you double or triple the size.

kydan said:
Okay so I just got three of these 2800mAh SMC's in. I was surprised to see that they have a discharge rating of 65C!

Now, I don't think it will happen--but... Will this make a difference with the Phantom? I'm balance charging and won't be able to fly for a day or so to test it out.

You would think it would have more thrust and what not with the higher 65C, but maybe it won't.

Also, I have Maddog 2700 mah lips and these SMC 2800mah are smaller (not by much) than the mad dog. I can't tell you the weight as I don't have a precision scale.

I questioned SMC for you and shortly they are going to start a thread to help with all the questions, but basically this is what I was told. It's not 65C it's 65 amps. He has an explanation on his site which should explain it better. Also he suggested not so good to keep a pack fully charged this will reduce the mAh and can shorten the cycle life. The day before isn't to bad but a few days in advance is not ideal.

Hope this helps,

Grandpa Jake

OI Photography said:
Thanks for the feedback on those. Which side is smaller than the maddogs?

As El Guano made his bet (and no one obliged haha) it is on the height side. Again, not by much. I took some pics and I hope they came out okay. I don't have computer access (only iPhone) right now so here it goes. Excuse the orientation if they are sideways.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 467
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 461
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 476
funtimegrandpa said:
I questioned SMC for you and shortly they are going to start a thread to help with all the questions, but basically this is what I was told. It's not 65C it's 65 amps. He has an explanation on his site which should explain it better. Also he suggested not so good to keep a pack fully charged this will reduce the mAh and can shorten the cycle life. The day before isn't to bad but a few days in advance is not ideal.

Hope this helps,

Grandpa Jake

Thanks! Lipos are tricky high maintenance batteries. I do know not to keep them fully charged for say, 48 hours or longer. I will fly them within 24 hours with about 80% discharge.

Oddly though, I have balance charged two of them at 2.8 amps (1C is about what I target for charging) and both batteries timed out at two hours on my charger. At 70 minutes into each charge, the cells were around 4.15 to 4.19 each. They never got to 4.2 volts each oddly. Hopefully after a flight that will fix the problem. Or I might have to do a higher amp charge to see if that helps.

Whatever the case it is probably operator error! ;)

kydan said:
Thanks! Lipos are tricky high maintenance batteries. I do know not to keep them fully charged for say, 48 hours or longer. I will fly them within 24 hours with about 80% discharge.

Oddly though, I have balance charged two of them at 2.8 amps (1C is about what I target for charging) and both batteries timed out at two hours on my charger. At 70 minutes into each charge, the cells were around 4.15 to 4.19 each. They never got to 4.2 volts each oddly. Hopefully after a flight that will fix the problem. Or I might have to do a higher amp charge to see if that helps.

Whatever the case it is probably operator error! ;)

In this case, some chargers (including mine) on some batteries will get "stuck" in a loop during the end of the balancing or CV phase. They'll try to drop voltage on a high cell and then trickle charge the entire pack, but just end up draining and charging until they time out. I charge my packs at 1C and set a timer for 75min, so it just ends the charge in case this happens.

Honestly, it's kind of disconcerting and not ideal behavior, but I only charge my cells when I'm at home (and not sleeping or outside) so I think it should be OK.

kydan said:
OI Photography said:

As El Guano made his bet (and no one obliged haha) it is on the height side. Again, not by much. I took some pics and I hope they came out okay. I don't have computer access (only iPhone) right now so here it goes. Excuse the orientation if they are sideways.

Thank you, exactly what I needed to know. I suspected the same thing as ElGuano (no really) and it looks like exactly what the specs suggested. It's still going to be tight squeezing two in a 1.5, but may not require quite as much carving in the battery bay.

That's some mighty thick cable on the SMC batt, are you going to try to get an XT60 on there?

Hi guys, I asked this in another thread but it never got answered. What are the best AA batteries to use in the RC. And how much time are you getting of a new set? Thanks.

Dave

OI Photography said:
kydan said:
OI Photography said:

Thank you, exactly what I needed to know. I suspected the same thing as ElGuano (no really) and it looks like exactly what the specs suggested. It's still going to be tight squeezing two in a 1.5, but may not require quite as much carving in the battery bay.

That's some mighty thick cable on the SMC batt, are you going to try to get an XT60 on there?

It does feel thick on the cables, but they already came with XT60 connectors so I don't have to do anything to them. Maddog is 14AWG wire and the SMC is 12AWG.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 497
dkyacht said:
Hi guys, I asked this in another thread but it never got answered. What are the best AA batteries to use in the RC. And how much time are you getting of a new set? Thanks.

Dave

AA batteries for the transmitters? I use Energizer or Duracell batteries normally, but when I bought my phantom it came with a + Free Items Included: Watson 4-Hour Rapid Charger with 4 AA NiMH Rechargeable Batteries (2300mAh) ($14.50 Value) from B&H photo.

I don't let those get too low. I do about 15 flights max and then recharge them. Haven't had any issues yet

kydan said:
dkyacht said:

Dave

AA batteries for the transmitters? I use Energizer or Duracell batteries normally, but when I bought my phantom it came with a + Free Items Included: Watson 4-Hour Rapid Charger with 4 AA NiMH Rechargeable Batteries (2300mAh) ($14.50 Value) from B&H photo.

I don't let those get too low. I do about 15 flights max and then recharge them. Haven't had any issues yet

Thanks kydan, so using rechargeable batteries is ok? I wasn't sure if the RC was sensitive to the type of battery used. I use the Powerex 2700 in my slr camera flash. I've had good luck with them, do you guys have a particular brand you all use?

Dave

No problem. Rechargeable batteries are fine. The biggest thing you have to worry about is losing a connection from a low battery so just stay on top of recharging.

The brand I use is Watson (both charger and batteries) just because they're the only rechargeable ones that came with it.

Update Test

I was sent a 2800mAh battery from Dinogy Lipo. this was there replacement upgrade for the Phantom 1 the item is their 2800mAh 3S 25C http://dinogylipos.com/3s-lipos/147-2800mah-3s-25c-dji It came out very well with my testing reaching the 18 minute mark. Keep in mind this was done with very little movement. I would take the phantom up around 100 ft and slowly move it back and forth waiting for my buzzer to sound. Once the red lights were flashing I stayed within a foot or two of the ground waiting for it to land. The only added items were prop guards.

In the real world you will not get these times unless you don't want to have any fun lol still it was so much more than the stock battery and it looks to be well manufactured. The difference between this and the SMC was basically the wire they used. The SMC was a heavier gauge which was a slight bit harder to pack inside the unmodified battery door. The Dinogy battery was very flexible which was easy to bend.

I still recommend getting the larger battery door or do as I have and just drill two holes in the front and use a dermel to elongate them. This will allow you to make your connections outside the door. You can always push the wires back inside a little after, this way you will not be putting stress on the door or worrying about it popping open while flying.

You are more than welcome to see my video review: http://youtu.be/u_an4DEyYhA

Ok the weather was good tonight so while I was in the mood for testing I decided to give the 2800 Dinogy Lipo another test. I will put some photos up so you can see what it was tested on. Basically I took my Phantom 1 which had on the following equipment:

Tarot Gimbal
Fatshark 600mw Transmitter
Gopro Hero 3+ Black
Small Gps Tracker 1oz.
Voltage Buzzer
Dinogy 2800mAh Li-Po http://dinogylipos.com/3s-lipos/147-2800mah-3s-25c-dji

It was flown at normal speeds so this is a real world test. The flight time was 11:02 I brought it back at 3.7v and stayed around my home. When the first red lights started flashing I brought it to about 2 feet over the ground. At 11:02 it landed on its own. I was very happy with this time, especially with all the extras that are on it.

Hope this gives everyone a better idea of what times they would get.

Grandpa Jake: http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHIzeebGCoRULa8sSY2QyUA

Attachments

• Phantom With Gimbal & FPV (1).jpg
    Phantom With Gimbal & FPV (1).jpg
    218.2 KB · Views: 408
Been waiting for your report, thanks for posting! Your flight times sound like they're in line with true 2800mah battery.

For me I like to do a lot of video and photo so getting over 10 minutes on the phantom 1 was a sure plus with all my equipment installed. I had an Iris from 3drobotics, and even thought I really enjoyed it, I could not get much more than 6 minutes so it was returned. And to be honest, other than not being hooked up with mission planner or ground control I love how well the Phantoms have worked. I think the owner of Dinogy Lipo will stand behind his products and if we support companies like this I feel it will assure us we will have some good options now and in the future.

I agree, 10 minutes is a good minimum flight time, it lets you get out, get a few takes in, and get back. More is always good as well :)

Another option is the zippy 2800mah from HK - I have them on my phantom, loaded with a 3 axis gimbal, hero3 black, 200mw osd+fpv gear - I got 10mins, landing once battery hits 10.5v on load.

Cheaper and a lot cheaper/easier shipping options for people living outside America !

Cheers

funtimegrandpa said:
Ok the weather was good tonight so while I was in the mood for testing I decided to give the 2800 Dinogy Lipo another test....It was flown at normal speeds so this is a real world test. The flight time was 11:02...
Hi Jake, what was your AUW when flying with the 2800 Dinogy LiPo ?

The props are DJI 9443?

That your time is excellent, I'm flying today (with AUW 1200 g, 9443 clone props and Antigravity! T-motors) around 7-8 minutes with stock DJI 2200. I got to 10 min, it would be awesome :eek:

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj