Need help understanding the Panorama Sphere mode photos

Reaction score
SO, finally got around to exploring and finding the nifty Panoramo Mode and that led me quickly to the Sphere option. I've seen it, and asked "how is this done" but no one really replied well enough for me to understand. Maybe I'm just slow so I'll ask again, if anyone could help that'd be awesome. I'm happy with a "go look here" too.

Questions:
1) I see that when I shoot any panorama there is a .HTML file created under the /DCIM folder on the memory card. My copy of Firefox wont' display anything when I try to open it (but display no error either). Where can I use/view this file - I'm assuming it would let me view the stitched panorama outside the DJI Go app (correct me if I'm wrong).

2) I see all the PANO files in their PANO folder but the DSC file isn't there (the folder name contains what the DSC file would have been numbered, I can see that). How can I get the stitched high resolution photo? I DO know that I can use the DJI app, after the fact, to view (which triggers stitching the photos together) the resulting image but it's in a lower resolution. I'd like to see the full resolution version - how?

3) When I view the sphere pano in the DJI app it stitches the photos together and generates that wonderful sphere looking image IN the app. And that little sphere rotates around (very cool) and I can use touch to manipulate it, I can see that. How can I get that outside the app? And in what format? One thing I'd love to have is even just the basic simple sphere photo. A still is fine but even more awesome would be a movie of the thing rotating on it's own just like when you leave it on the screen in the app.I can't seem to figure out how to do any of that. When I use the export button it generates a flat image that isn't spherical at all, more like a squished out 180 pano.

I would be very thankful for any information on how to enhance my use of these modes. I didn't have them on my P4 and now that I'm using a P4P v2 I'm enjoying the option - if I could export the results!!

Thank you in advance,
db

Sample sphere pano exported:
IMG_2351.png

I can't seem to figure out how to do any of that. When I use the export button it generates a flat image that isn't spherical at all, more like a squished out 180 pano.
I would be very thankful for any information on how to enhance my use of these modes. I didn't have them on my P4 and now that I'm using a P4P v2 I'm enjoying the option - if I could export the results!!
You could upload that sample to a site like kuula.co
Here's one of mine there: Brisbane City

I view my Panos, which I create with Litchi, using FSPViewer Download and that's on my Windows 10 computer, although there are also versions available for Linux and OS X. It's free and is a standalone program. I do my stitching externally on a Windows computer, using PTGui or ICE.

FSPViewer works well but as far as I can make out, with Windows it only works with .jpg and TIFF files. But I downloaded and converted the pano that you posted to a .jpg file and it looked just fine and was navigable with a mouse or the up/down/left/right arrows.

For my Android devices I use Panorama360 Viewer but there are lots of other programs to choose from. panorama 360 viewer - Android Apps on Google Play

(Later) Sorry - I forgot, you can make a video of it by manipulating it yourself in FSPViewer in fullscreen with the up/down/left/right arrows or mouse and using a screen recorder program.

Last edited:
That looks amazing. Did you shoot the original using the pano sphere mode in a Phantom? If so, did you then just upload that “flat” image into Kuula and got that result?
I shoot my panoramas freehand rather than using an automated app.
Then I've merged the images myself and created something that looks like your flat image and uploaded that to Kuula.

Been a while since I did these but you use a pano program (i used Microsoft ICE) to create a rectilinear pano (2:1 aspect ratio) and then use an online viewer (I used 360player - Embed 360 degree images on your website for Free) to create an immersive 360 view.

An example 360player - Bredwardine Bridge Summer Morning

HTH

hi thereinterested to see you did bredwardine bridge because I didn't know there were many people round here with drones. I'm about 5 miles away near Eaton bishop. Nick

Reactions: BigAl07
Lovely area but the guy next to the bridge with the (pay to get in) gardens really doesn't like them.

A

hi thereinterested to see you did bredwardine bridge because I didn't know there were many people round here with drones. I'm about 5 miles away near Eaton bishop. Nick

I view my Panos, which I create with Litchi, using FSPViewer Download and that's on my Windows 10 computer, although there are also versions available for Linux and OS X. It's free and is a standalone program. I do my stitching externally on a Windows computer, using PTGui or ICE.

FSPViewer works well but as far as I can make out, with Windows it only works with .jpg and TIFF files. But I downloaded and converted the pano that you posted to a .jpg file and it looked just fine and was navigable with a mouse or the up/down/left/right arrows.

For my Android devices I use Panorama360 Viewer but there are lots of other programs to choose from. panorama 360 viewer - Android Apps on Google Play

(Later) Sorry - I forgot, you can make a video of it by manipulating it yourself in FSPViewer in fullscreen with the up/down/left/right arrows or mouse and using a screen recorder program.

Thank you Steve, very much. This gives me that Paning around ability from a single flat file - how cool is that?! I've got a utility that lets me capture the window as a video so that takes care of that - thought I have to "fly" manually. This is great!

You mentioned "ICE" - can I load the individual PANO_XXXX.jpg images from my SIM card into it and will it produce the sphere image and/or this paning view?

Thanks again for your help

I shoot a lot of the TinyPlanet panos. My work flow usually is, shoot the 360º pano on the drone (I usually use the auto 360 mode) and usually use manual exposure so that I have consistent exposures on each image. I then download the images to a folder in Lightroom. I use PTGui to assemble the images into a Spherical Equirectangular image (the flat one that you see in examples above) and add the missing parts of the sky above. As an image, this projection has a lot of distortion so I then upload the image to Skypixel so that you can view the 360º VR pano. I finish off by creating the TinyPlanet you are talking about in your post. In PTGui it is just a matter of changing the projection to Little Planet: 300º Stereographic and re-saving it. I then post the TinyPlanet on my website and link it to the flat image posted on Skypixel so that you can 'Look Around' in the image.

Here is an example of one I did on the weekend using my Spark. I haven't finished working on the flat image so it is not linked and posted yet.

Chris

View attachment TinyPlanet Panorama 4 Barrens.jpg

Reactions: MTO
Thank you Steve, very much. This gives me that Paning around ability from a single flat file - how cool is that?! I've got a utility that lets me capture the window as a video so that takes care of that - thought I have to "fly" manually. This is great!

You mentioned "ICE" - can I load the individual PANO_XXXX.jpg images from my SIM card into it and will it produce the sphere image and/or this paning view?

Thanks again for your help
Yes - ICE (Microsoft Image Composite Editor) Download Image Composite Editor (64 bit) from Official Microsoft Download Center, like PTGui, is just another program into which you can load your still images and a warped format panorama image is produced from them. Unless it's essential I would avoid using the images direct from your SD card just in case something goes wrong and the processing may also be slower. Use backup copies of the images if possible.

ICE had already been mentioned in post #3 so I didn't bother to go into more detail.The main difference between them is that ICE is free and PTGui must be paid for, unless you want the annoying watermarks embedded in the free version. I have the paid version and just prefer using it to ICE. There are others and more information about stitching panos can be found with the search engine here, for example:-

Last edited:
Lovely area but the guy next to the bridge with the (pay to get in) gardens really doesn't like them.

A
That's Brobury house. I should have said I use a p4pro + and was interested if you are a local drone operator. Nick

Happy to meet up & fly anywhere interesting (I'm near Weobley). I have a pair of P4P, I'm PfCO but lapsed whilst seeing what the CAA are going to do with registrations/restrictions.

That's Brobury house. I should have said I use a p4pro + and was interested if you are a local drone operator. Nick

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobDan