Reaction score
Hi guys,

Any help would be much appreciated. Just to give you some info, we are looking for a UAV, whether it is a fixed wing or a prop, to use for aerial recon and/or remote sensing. We're not talking 100's or square miles, but maybe a couple at a time. I personally own a DJI Phantom, so I am fond of quadcopters but I am aware of their range limitations. Likewise, their new security concerns restrict their use - so that's a no go. However, I still believe their ease of use and accessibility makes them the prime candidate.

As far as what it'd be used for - mostly 3d mapping and aerial photography for GIS use. It would be nice to have the option to switch out the camera for something more sophisticated like lidar or infrared. We also need to make sure that the software that we use can't touch the network for security reasons. This includes the drone itself. Other than that, we would be able to use normal computers to analyze the data. Price range would probably be somewhere under 2k/

Thanks for your input!

Last edited:
You didn't mention price range. If you're willing to spend $15k+ then you have a lot of options. If you're looking typical DJI price ranges, your only other option is the Yuneec H520.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

You didn't mention price range. If you're willing to spend $15k+ then you have a lot of options. If you're looking typical DJI price ranges, your only other option is the Yuneec H520.
This looks great! is it specific to the UK though?

The capture of data and its transmission to other nationalities.
That's very vague.
Exactly what is it that you are concerned about having happen in your situation?
What data?
I was trying to establish whether you have a genuine concern or if you have been misled by some things you've heard.

That's very vague.
Exactly what is it that you are concerned about having happen in your situation?
What data?
I was trying to establish whether you have a genuine concern or if you have been misled by some things you've heard.

Seeing as how the military and US government have the same concern, of course he's being genuine. If he works for, contracts for, or even works around US military or government or their interests, he won't even be allowed to use DJI products. Even many private sector companies in sensitive industries are rejecting bids from DSPs that cannot offer something other than DJI equipment.

This looks great! is it specific to the UK though?

No it's not. It's been a very slow release and hasn't really seemed to catch on in internet popularity - and that's really just because the world is full of DJI fanbois.

New York based Vertigo Drones has them for sale in the US. It really can't be beat for the money.

Due to the lack of popularity, I'm expecting price cuts. I'll be looking to pick one up in the spring to use for survey jobs and photography/video jobs on windy days (which is often around here).

Seeing as how the military and US government have the same concern, of course he's being genuine. If he works for, contracts for, or even works around US military or government or their interests, he won't even be allowed to use DJI products. Even many private sector companies in sensitive industries are rejecting bids from DSPs that cannot offer something other than DJI equipment.
Who he works for wasn't clear, but there's a huge misconception that DJI drones will spy on you and "phone home" with your data.
I was trying to find out if he had a real concern or an imagined concern.

Who he works for wasn't clear, but there's a huge misconception that DJI drones will spy on you and "phone home" with your data.
I was trying to find out if he had a real concern or an imagined concern.

They're all real concerns. What the software actually doesn't isn't relevant. The US government and an increasing number of private corporations have decided it's an issue, so flying a DJI product as a commercial operator is a liability.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic