Need help deciding.

Reaction score
Use to have a drone I flew all the time and got out of it now wanting to get back into it. Would like something that has good video and picture but also not break the bank. I have been debating between a used phantom 3 or a mini. Any thoughts or input as to why either one would be the better option would be appreciated!

Reactions: dirkclod
Use to have a drone I flew all the time and got out of it now wanting to get back into it. Would like something that has good video and picture but also not break the bank. I have been debating between a used phantom 3 or a mini. Any thoughts or input as to why either one would be the better option would be appreciated!
The Mini 2 is a solid choice..... stay away from the Mavic Mini 1 because of its issues with wind and its props. The Phantom 3 is older tech so I would stay away from it as well.

Reactions: tmgrood and Tbowen
Agree on the Mini,have one. I would go with a Mavic and read
or join here . DJI Mavic Drone Forum
to see your options.
Welcome to the forum ?

Reactions: Tbowen
The Phantom 3 is a fine drone with a good camera, but video range is limited. If you are fine with line of sight you can’t go wrong. If you go with a mini 2 or spark(I owned 2 sparks), you might want something larger in the future. If you have noise concerns, you should definitely try the smaller drones. I love my Phantom 4 Pro, but it is very noisy compared to the Mavic series. I started with the Phantom 3 then tried the spark drone which I found too small for me. I got my FAA 107 certification, now flying a fleet. Good luck to you.

Agree with many comments- the Phantom 3 is a (very) fine drone...especially the Phantom 3 Pro. That specs in that drone is still relevant today. It's got light bridge so the range is good and the 4k camera is still pretty good, even today.

The DJI Mini 2 (these are just my viewpoints) might be, pound-for-pound, the best drone for $450. It's a pretty big upgrade over the Mavic Mini 1:
* Occusync 2.0 (the range on Mini 1 is pretty bad being only wifi)
* 4k camera that is really impressive. I have a Phantom 4 Advanced...and yes, the camera is better on it, but I am really amazed at the video and stills from Mini 2.
* The strength of the Mini 2 in wind is impressive.
* You don't have to register it with the FAA as it is below 250g
* The longer batter life (I get 28+ minutes shooting 4k video the entire time)
* DJI Fly app, for many, is more focused and is easier to get up to speed on compared to DJI Go.
* The drone is quiet. The Spark, even though very small, sounds like a pack of bees swarming people - it's extremely noticeable (LOL).
* And this one is big.... the Mini 2 will not be nearly as noticeable as any Phantom drone that you will fly. Not just because of it's size, but it's soooo much quieter than a phantom.

I own 3 Phantom drones and I love them...but since I got the Mini 2 I (sadly) have been flying the phantoms less and less.

Whatever direction you go, I'm sure you will still have a blast. Let us know what you decide!

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20