Near National Parks Flying

Reaction score
I'm trying to understand something and the more I read the more confused I am. I know you are not allowed to take off IN a national park. Can you take off outside of it and fly over the park? Can you take off outside the park and fly to the boarder of the NP and no further?

The reason I ask is I'm going to Zion and the town of Springdale is right next to the park entrance (Springdale is not part of the NP) Could I take off from where we are staying and fly into the park?

Attachments

• a.png
    a.png
    204.8 KB · Views: 342
  • b.png
    b.png
    2.6 MB · Views: 372
You have to adhere to the permanent flight restrictions over parks. I think it's 500 or 1000 foot minimum altitude. Somebody can probably refer you to the actual document. So basically. No.

Reactions: EddieM
Here is a quote from the NPS website: Each superintendent was directed “to use the authority under 36 CFR 1.5 to close units of the National Park System to launching, landing, or operating unmanned aircraft…” This policy is still in place and the public may not use unmanned aircraft in the national parks.
I'm assuming that "operating" would (could) include flying over the park. But, I couldn't find anything that actually says "don't do it"! Me, I probably would not.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: FASTFJR
Here is a quote from the NPS website: Each superintendent was directed “to use the authority under 36 CFR 1.5 to close units of the National Park System to launching, landing, or operating unmanned aircraft…” This policy is still in place and the public may not use unmanned aircraft in the national parks.
I'm assuming that "operating" would (could) include flying over the park. But, I couldn't find anything that actually says "don't do it"! Me, I probably would not.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Thats what I don't get and its either not really clear or a lot of people don't know.

So, I'm assuming I could take off in Springdale (Non green area) and fly to the boarder of the green section. I'm also assuming that is the boarder of the NP.

I'm not trying to break any rules I just remember their were some great photo ops of the mountains from Springdale and if I can take them from 400ft the better

Most National Parks already offer you beautiful views of the best scenery or you can find great aerial stuff all over the internet. The only difference is I didn't do it my way with my equipment. Rather than having a few million people decide they need to do it themselves just kick back and enjoy the peace and quiet. (I just watched Ken Burns film on the National Parks last night -- the one on Muir and T.R. Inspirational, without quads ;-)

--- zigs

Reactions: BigAl07
No reason you can't fly up to a NP boundary but not cross it. Have fun.

The rules are written to apply to the person and what is on the ground , as they should be written. You cannot launch the drone or land the drone within the NP. You cannot be standing in the NP and operate the drone.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik