Near municipal airport

Reaction score
I just moved to the state of WA, and my home is about 3 miles away from a small municipal airport. AirMap says I can fly up to 100’ for low altitude flying. I have not been able to get permission from AirMap or B4UF apps. My P4P will not allow me to fly. Can someone explain what I’m doing wrong or why I’m not getting a LAANC permission to fly. Thanks for your input.

I just moved to the state of WA, and my home is about 3 miles away from a small municipal airport. AirMap says I can fly up to 100’ for low altitude flying. I have not been able to get permission from AirMap or B4UF apps. My P4P will not allow me to fly. Can someone explain what I’m doing wrong or why I’m not getting a LAANC permission to fly. Thanks for your input.
What do you if it is not available?

Not sure what you mean by 'not available'. On KittyHawk, you can usually get LAANC authorizations for any area that is not within the red colored boxes on the map. If you are within this controlled airspace, further authorizations (FAA) are needed.

Remember though, that DJI firmware on many models will not allow you to start motors within 5 miles of many airports. Perhaps the municipal airport near you is considered as one of those airports. The B4UF app should have alerted you to this fact if applicable.

What airport are you referring to?

You may be in restricted airspace if you are on an approach path. Dji has a ”geo zone map” that will help you determine this. On this map, red zones are restricted, while blue zones allow more flexibility. Restricted airspace requires special authorization for short term flights. I don’t know how you get long term clearance - reach out to the FAA? Request an operational waiver?

Reactions: BigAl07

Make sure you're understanding the Altitude #'s in the LAANC system correctly. Those Altitudes are not you're approved to FLY altitudes... those are the altitude you're most likely to get APPROVAL to fly at when you submit a request. It's sort of like a TEMPLATE or CHEAT SHEET for you. No sense requesting 300' AGL if the Grid/Map indicates 100' AGL. It will not get approved. If the area states 100' AGL then submit 100' or less and your approval is more likely to happen.

Any flight within controlled AIRSPACE must have FAA/LAANC approval for even 10' off the ground. Controlled Airspace is CONTROLLED airspace period.

Also keep in mind that the approval is not guaranteed. Airspace and Airport Operations are very dynamic and things change quickly that can affect flight patterns etc. Maintenance, Emergencies, VIP movement etc call all cause an area that "should" be approved to suddenly get denied. Don't assume the area will be an instant approval or you might be disappointed.

What do you if it is not available?

If you don't have FAA authorization to fly in controlled airspace then you don't fly in controlled airspace. By coincidence, this came to me this morning:
https://jrupprechtlaw.com/drone-license/#why-A-Recreational-Pilot-Should-Obtain-a-Commercial-Drone-license
Specifically, read the first section to address any questions (1. Recreational Pilots Have a Bigger Downside.)

I hope that answers your question. If not, I'll be happy to try again.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31