ND 4-16 or 16-64 filters?

Reaction score
As title reads, I am looking for NDs for my P3P. I have the PolarPro in mind, mainly because I haven't really looked for anything else and want something with what seems to be a proven track record.

However the question is, what is the better set of ND's to get for video? The 4-8-16 ND pack, or the 16-32-64 ND pack?

Unless you're shooting in Antarctica or another place where it's incredibly sunny most days, the ND 4 will probably be more useful for you. Here's a general ND filter guide:

Filter-Use-Chart.png

Alright sounds good, if the 16 can handle bright days then it seems the 4-16 is probably the go! Cheers, will order now

I personally find ND4 to be quite useless. Not dark enough for most day condition. Seems like only useful for the very short few minutes at dawn and at dusk, I don't even bother using an ND filter at those time.

I personally find ND4 to be quite useless.
Most people would use the ND4 more than the ND64 though. For that reason, most people should get the ND4 over the ND64.

As title reads, I am looking for NDs for my P3P. I have the PolarPro in mind, mainly because I haven't really looked for anything else and want something with what seems to be a proven track record.

However the question is, what is the better set of ND's to get for video? The 4-8-16 ND pack, or the 16-32-64 ND pack?

The ND8/PL and ND16/PL are the filters I use 95% of the time, same as a ND8 and ND16. Not sure which filters you are referring to but let me know if you have any questions on ours! You can also order singles,

Jeff

The ND8/PL and ND16/PL are the filters I use 95% of the time, same as a ND8 and ND16. Not sure which filters you are referring to but let me know if you have any questions on ours! You can also order singles,

Jeff

Hey Jeff, is there any reason you would use a non polarized ND filter over a polarized one? I'mon a world trip and typically filming beaches, mountains, forests etc, natural stuff. I try to make it look as close to my DSLR footage as possible

I just purchased the polar pro ND4 ND8 and ND16.

I would say 99% of my flying is done with the ND16, and I'm for sure going to be purchasing an ND32. There are places I fly where I can't get the shutter speed where I'd like when it's super sunny out near the water. That being said, for lower light having the option to go to ND8 or even ND4 is nice. I've used them all in different situations.

Jeff

Interesting, maybe I'll give the ND16/PL a shot also.

Does anyone know if the DJI Phantom 4 cinema series fits the Phantom 3 also?
All screw-on filters can be swapped between the P3 and P4.

I'm loving the results I'm getting using a graduated filter ND16-8.
ND16 at the top keeps the sky looking natual,not too bright,and ND8 at the bottom doesn't make the ground dark.

Hey Jeff, is there any reason you would use a non polarized ND filter over a polarized one? I'mon a world trip and typically filming beaches, mountains, forests etc, natural stuff. I try to make it look as close to my DSLR footage as possible
Its really all personal preference, some guys do not like the extra time a Polarizer filter takes to calibrate before each flight (15 seconds), and some prefer the polarized look (like me). I like the increased saturation and glare reduction the polarizers offer.

Let me know if you have any other questions,

Jeff

Its really all personal preference, some guys do not like the extra time a Polarizer filter takes to calibrate before each flight (15 seconds), and some prefer the polarized look (like me). I like the increased saturation and glare reduction the polarizers offer.

Let me know if you have any other questions,

Jeff
Hi, yeah one last question. How do you calibrate the filter before flight

I'm also interested in knowing what you mean by calibrating the polarized filters. Thanks

At least the polarizer should be rotated to get the maximum benefit.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Hi, yeah one last question. How do you calibrate the filter before flight
Simple Answer: Rotate the polarizer ring while looking at your display. Rotate it until you see the polarizer reduce the max amount of glare and the most increased color saturation.

Video Tutorial Coming soon!

Jeff

Reactions: SGs
PTCX- Know where to purchase the graduated ND you are speaking about?? Thx.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

SRP makes an ND16-8 graduated filter. I like the results when using it, but it's not the easiest filter to slide on/off the camera.

Mine are from SRP as well but I use GoPro cameras and they fit ok with the O ring.I like the way they come apart to clean the glass.I can get them from local sources these days too so that heIps.
They make filters for most DJI cameras,search "SRP nd filters".

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic