Mysterious range issue

Reaction score
I have a jinxed phantom 2 vision plus and I’m looking for anyone with any tips that can help. The thing is like new and has had nothing but problems. I’ve replaced the WiFi module after it sat unused for a year. Then it sat again for a year so I just re-flashed the 2nd WiFi module from the video going out again. I’ve replaced all 4 motors and ESC’s from them frying when I put too long of bolts in the motors from the blade guards.

Now everything’s working good again but now there is no range from both the WiFi module and the flight controller!
Here’s the details:

Both the wifi AND the TX seem to have no range.. like less than 50 feet.

First I noticed that the video transmission signal strength and app connection were dropping out as soon as I walked about 30 feet away from the P2v+ while holding the TX and app. The WiFi signal strength will drop to zero and connection to the app breaks. So I started to think it was the range extender.

But then I noticed that when spooling the P2v+ up and walking about 50 feet away with the TX in hand, the connection is lost and the P2v+ is switching into Going Home mode and the yellow LEDs start flashing so the TX itself is also losing connection at a very short range.

I also tried spooling up without the range extender or the app turned on and walked it about 50 feet away from the TX while holding the P2v+ and sure enough, connection lost and we go into going home mode.

How could my video / app / wifi range AND flight controller TX range BOTH be terrible at the same time and all of the sudden?!?

Any ideas?

Last edited:
Ok so the aerials are in the legs for the TX and the aerials for the wifi are in the body next to the battery.

Ive seen issues with the phone causing bad WIFI distance, have you another one you can try?

Have you taken the shell off and had a look inside, could be something loose or damaged.

Maybe try reflashing the NAZA unit and see if that helps.

Also ive seen on the threads that the GPS puck can cause loss of signal, again take a look in the lid and make sure its not damaged

Ok so the aerials are in the legs for the TX and the aerials for the wifi are in the body next to the battery.

Ive seen issues with the phone causing bad WIFI distance, have you another one you can try?

Have you taken the shell off and had a look inside, could be something loose or damaged.

Maybe try reflashing the NAZA unit and see if that helps.

Also ive seen on the threads that the GPS puck can cause loss of signal, again take a look in the lid and make sure its not damaged

Yeah I took it apart and inspected everything. i tried a tablet, an iPhone, and a samsung phone.. weird thing is it is BOTH radios...
and what's weirder is i just took it out to try again and everything was perfect.... no issues at all.
I'll try again and see off it crops up again. I shouldn't have to be in the air right? i mean i should be able to just walk away and do a distance test with the motors spooled up.

weird.. maybe its the weather or the government or aliens or chemtrails... It's a conspiracy!

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrl