My first video... longish distance... close-ish call!

WOW! You have guts! That was one hell of a flight! My heart was in MY mouth all the way back!

Phew, that's pushing it!

But, indeed, fortune favoured the brave!
Before you took the flight you mentioned you were not too sure how far the Fort was away....But now you know!! Just out of curiosity, what program are you using for your POV?

Before you took the flight you mentioned you were not too sure how far the Fort was away....But now you know!! Just out of curiosity, what program are you using for your POV?
This was done in DJI Go. I have Litchi and Autopilot and could probably have figured out the distance, but part of the fun was flying it blind :)

What model phantom?

Sent from my SM-N930F using PhantomPilots mobile app

Phantom 4. Only had it a few weeks as an upgrade to my P3A. Any worries about low range were blown out of the water. This is the furthest I've flown to date and I didn't lose signal once.

Excellent - a newbie here - still trying to pick up the courage to fly my PSA more than 200 m !

Thanks guys. I've only been flying myself a few months. Took a while to pluck up the courage to fly so far out over water, but trust my bird. As for distance, as long as there aren't people underneath you, I'm pretty sure if your phantom falls out of the sky - the damage from falling out of the sky 200m away vs. 4000m away will be pretty much the same ;- a total write off ;-)

This was done in DJI Go. I have Litchi and Autopilot and could probably have figured out the distance, but part of the fun was flying it blind :)

Phantom 4. Only had it a few weeks as an upgrade to my P3A. Any worries about low range were blown out of the water. This is the furthest I've flown to date and I didn't lose signal once.
How did you do the information!action overlay on the video?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using PhantomPilots mobile app

It's a Windows-based program called Dashware, which uses the data files generated by your drone. Takes a little while to get your head around it, but can do some awesome stuff. There are WAY more knowledgeable people on this forum when it comes to using it though. Go forth and search :)

It's a Windows-based program called Dashware, which uses the data files generated by your drone. Takes a little while to get your head around it, but can do some awesome stuff. There are WAY more knowledgeable people on this forum when it comes to using it though. Go forth and search :)
Thanks for that - I do all of my editing in Final Cut Pro but I do love that overlay.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using PhantomPilots mobile app

You can still use FCP - you just run it through dashware first. Then into whatever editing suite takes your fancy

Ah - yeah I should've picked that up when in your video you enabled sport mode!
Awesome video.

Reactions: The Flying Swan
Thanks man. I have a feeling all my future videos will be much less exciting ;-)

Awww don't be like that. Next time you should make sure the wind is blowing onshore or maybe even no wind at all - now that you know you have a few % of battery spare you should get some cool shots of the old fort. In fact, it looked like you could have your home point at another location on the shore that was slightly closer so you could get even more time out there?

Wish the P3A had a sport mode!

Awww don't be like that. Next time you should make sure the wind is blowing onshore or maybe even no wind at all - now that you know you have a few % of battery spare you should get some cool shots of the old fort. In fact, it looked like you could have your home point at another location on the shore that was slightly closer so you could get even more time out there?

Wish the P3A had a sport mode!

Yeah, I chose that section of the beach because it's quiet. I always make time to answer people's questions, try to help the drone community's reputation, but when you're making a beeline that far out, the last thing you need is "So how far can that thing go?" or "My cousin has one of those". The wind really didn't seem that bad on the ground. Sport mode certainly help me cut through it, but I'm now wondering if I'd have made it back at 18mph in GPS mode (using a lot less battery on the way).

What I really want to do is make it to the Isle of White. Think I'll need some mods first :)

Untitled.png

Oh, and by the way, the P3A is a killer bird. Kinda regret upgrading. It was so reliable. Nothing but firmware issues with P4

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BoguSlav