My First Video - a Flight Over NJ!

Reaction score
I put together my first video last week of some footage I captured over a nice park in Secaucus, NJ. Nothing terribly exciting, but just a bit of practice with taking footage that looks good from the drone and some editing practice in Final Cut Pro (transitions, marking, color grading, etc).

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

As always, your critique & feedback is greatly appreciated!

Reactions: cfd701
Your video looks great! Looks like you did a "Follow Me" test that worked well. I haven't shot any "straight down" video yet. I like those but plan to use those for special emphasis.

I noticed there's a zillion helipads in that area. Curious if you notified any of them that you were flying. I'm having real difficulty doing that in Northern Virginia... :)

Reactions: Stigy
Personally, I'm not a big fan of above me ground shots, above me rotating ground shots, follow me ground shots or panning down to the ground shots, so can I suggest you don't include too many (errr, that'll be none!) of these in future. :) Frankly, grass is grass the world over so what I like to see what you and I can't normally see, like that amazing roadbridge, those small lslands or that huge building on the right. But......
positively, your flying is really smooth and well controlled, so very well done there! :D

Your video looks great! Looks like you did a "Follow Me" test that worked well. I haven't shot any "straight down" video yet. I like those but plan to use those for special emphasis.

I noticed there's a zillion helipads in that area. Curious if you notified any of them that you were flying. I'm having real difficulty doing that in Northern Virginia... :)

I tried calling 1 heliport in the area and they said I don't have to call them to notify so I just didn't bother calling the rest. After this flight though I may call some others because there are some low flying birds and aircraft in that area.

Reactions: jdharrin and Numone
Personally, I'm not a big fan of above me ground shots, above me rotating ground shots, follow me ground shots or panning down to the ground shots, so can I suggest you don't include too many (errr, that'll be none!) of these in future. :) Frankly, grass is grass the world over so what I like to see what you and I can't normally see, like that amazing roadbridge, those small lslands or that huge building on the right. But......
positively, your flying is really smooth and well controlled, so very well done there! :D

Appreciate the feedback. There are some low flying aircraft, but my understanding is that the P3A can do approximately 3 miles given you have VLOS so I may just try to get near that road bridge to get some good footage once I get comfortable flying it more than 100-200 feet away from me horizontally, haha.

Reactions: Numone
Appreciate the feedback. There are some low flying aircraft, but my understanding is that the P3A can do approximately 3 miles given you have VLOS so I may just try to get near that road bridge to get some good footage once I get comfortable flying it more than 100-200 feet away from me horizontally, haha.
You'll lose visual after about 1,000 feet.

I tried calling 1 heliport in the area and they said I don't have to call them to notify so I just didn't bother calling the rest. After this flight though I may call some others because there are some low flying birds and aircraft in that area.
Yeah, I have two extremely small farm airports and a hospital helipad in my local area. I can't reach the small airports and actually went out to visit them to make contact, but the helipad refuses to let any drones fly within 5 miles of his facility. I hope to talk with the FAA FSDO in the local area about it later this week...

Last edited:
I flew out about 585 feet the other day and could barely see the drone in the sky. I think 600 feet is my limit... :)

Yeah, I have two extremely small farm airports and a hospital helipad in my local area. I can't reach the small airports and actually went out to visit them to make contact, but the helipad refuses to let any drones fly within 5 miles of his facility. I hope to talk with the FAA FSDO int he local area about it later this week...

I thought they couldn’t deny you flight? My understanding was that you were just notifying them to let them know and how they could contact you if needed (in case of emergency or something).

UOTE="Stigy, post: 1254879, member: 99627"]I thought they couldn’t deny you flight? My understanding was that you were just notifying them to let them know and how they could contact you if needed (in case of emergency or something).[/QUOTE]

Pilots flying under Part 107 must get permission to fly within 5 miles of an airport; hobbyist only need to notify the airports that they plan to fly within 5 miles of the facility. However, the airport or helipad can still say no to the hobbyist for just cause (or what they deem to be just cause). In this case, the hospital helipad manager said, "We never know when or where we need to fly! We are here to save lives, and we don't need drones keeping us from doing our job!". While I fully understand their position and definitely don't want to impact or delay their response time, it's unrealistic to think they can keep all drones from ever flying in their local airspace. Here's the info from the FAA's UAS FAQ page:

Source: Unmanned Aircraft Systems (UAS) Frequently Asked Questions
  1. Do I have to notify all airports within five miles of where I want to fly recreationally?
    Yes, you must contact any airports (including heliports and sea-based airports) and air traffic control towers within five miles of your proposed area of operations if flying under the Special Rule for Model Aircraft (Public Law 112-95, Section 336).

2. Can an airport operator object to model aircraft flights near an airport?
    Yes, an airport operator can object to the proposed use of a model aircraft within five miles of an airport if the proposed activity would endanger the safety of the airspace. However, the airport operator cannot prohibit or prevent the model aircraft operator from operating within five miles of the airport. Unsafe flying in spite of the objection of an airport operator may be evidence that the operator was endangering the safety of the National Airspace System. Additionally, the UAS operator must comply with any applicable airspace requirements.
The second paragraph basically says you can still fly but the FAA could consider your flights to be dangerous. If the airport or helipad repeatedly tells you no, you can ask the local FAA Flight Standards District Office (FSDO) to look into the matter.

I fly there often. Not to many places near us!
This was taken there.
272e8e9f5c17c721354c135fc764fced.jpg

Last edited:
I fly there often. Not to many places near us!
This was taken there.
272e8e9f5c17c721354c135fc764fced.jpg

Agreed - too many places within range of airports. I believe you mentioned this to me when I first reached out so thanks again.

Do you ever have issues with park police there or any issues with low flying aircraft? Even with the drone at ~200 feet I know the planes aren’t flying that low but it looks close. Or is it just a perspective thing?

Agreed - too many places within range of airports. I believe you mentioned this to me when I first reached out so thanks again.

Do you ever have issues with park police there or any issues with low flying aircraft? Even with the drone at ~200 feet I know the planes aren’t flying that low but it looks close. Or is it just a perspective thing?

Never an issue with anyone. Have had police stop and watch but always positive. The planes you see are going to Newark and are much higher then you'll be. Enjoy it!

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31