My newest "labor of love" video project: looking for feedback

I thought you were on to something in the first vid. Those naysayers probably don't get your youthful, energetic and creative vibe. Be true to yourself man. BTW I found both annoyingly over saturated. But then I'm 65!

Reactions: GoLoves
Loads better, the jerks must go. I must be the only one that liked the split screen of the surfer.
All god really.
Opinions are all over the place, as I knew they would be. However, where a bunch of people share the same opinion of something that needs to change, I definitely want to know about it! This conversation has served that purpose beautifully.

Reactions: grin factor
I thought you were on to something in the first vid. Those naysayers probably don't get your youthful, energetic and creative vibe. Be true to yourself man. BTW I found both annoyingly over saturated. But then I'm 65!
Thanks so much for weighing in!

Second version was 1000 times better. I would still remove some of the effects. In this case less is more. The footage is beautiful and should speak for itself. The frame jerks need to go. The effect while surfing almost made me stop the video again:) The effects would be good if you were at a skate park or just water sports where you could up the rythym of the song and the viewer expects it. For the footage you have in this video you want the viewer to be taken on a journey with you and forget they are watching a video. Also just a side note you have to be careful about the shot 25 seconds in. It almost looks like you are flying over people and unless they are part of your crew or under proper cover its a big no no for your commercial endeavors. Great footage though!
Great point - thanks, Ryan.

Visiting Hawaii next month. Week on north shore and week on Kuaui. Any suggestions. Wondering if you can fly along Na Pali coast. Can't wait.
I've been to Maui & Big Island a bunch of times in the almost 5 years that I have lived here, but haven't been able to get to Kauai yet. Checking the Hawaii sectional chart, I don't see any problems with flying along the Na Pali coast other than the warning about the high volume of tour aircraft, which *shouldn't* be a problem, though I will tell you from years of experience that tour helicopters routinely fly under 400', so simply abiding by that guideline will not necessarily be enough. Make sure you know where your bird is at all times...and have a blast while you're here! :)

upload_2017-3-13_16-27-51.png

Reactions: hokeecoyote
I much prefer the second version. I could picture that playing in a travel agency. The colours are more natural, reflecting the beauty of the content. (Except for the surfing sequence where the board and JetSki just look unnatural). There are still one or two effects that I don't like, but that's purely my personal preference... the stuttering when flying along the canal (?) and that sudden jump when flying towards the motor yacht. I find that irritating, but then maybe I'm just a grumpy old fart. [emoji851]
Grumpy old fart or not, you're not the only who had a problem with that, which is exactly why I sought the opinions of this forum. If you were the only one who didn't like it, I'd probably just chock it up to you being a grumpy old fart. :) With it grinding on virtually everybody, I'm clearly the fart who needs to make the change! Fortunately, I have no problem with that. Thanks so much for weighing in!

2nd version was great. I like the few times you used the "time jerk" like over the canal--not over done for my taste. The opening is less MTV now too--the flash glimpses, though I appreciate the attention to detail it takes to edit, I do think the story of 'coming to Hawaii' is better served with a more relaxed edit. My favorite clip is the overhead shot of the surfers near the beach as you pan back with a couple subtle jerks.
I need to get back there--went there for my honeymoon in '98. The Garden island was our favorite:)

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I've done quite a bit of video editing, but this was my first real foray into color grading. Using the awesome Lumetri tools in Adobe Premiere Pro, I spent an obscene amount of time first learning about video color grading generally, then using Lumetri specifically, and finally putting it all into practice with each clip, striving for the difficult combination of a good look for each scene independently and an underlying consistency across the whole project.

I'm not sure I was terribly successful in both objectives, but overall I'm pleased. There's plenty of room for improvement, though. Will you please give me some feedback on how I can do this better? Or perhaps more efficiently? We have some superstars in this forum from whom I would love to learn!

Thanks in advance!
Kevin

Live. Laugh. Love. Aloha!

Hi Kevin

Just been reading through all the comments and watching both videos, the second is 1000 times better, but I have to agree with the others the frame jerks need to go and the effects while surfing need to go as well.

I use Adobe Premiere Pro and After Effects, it is quite easy to fall into the trap of trying use all the different video transitions, the rule of thumb is to use one (max two) in any one movie clip you should decide which transition is best suited for the individual movie. The link below is not drone footage but time lapse and not my best movie the badminton section needs to be removed very boring, but it might give you some After Effects ideas.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31