My apologies to DJI

Reaction score
I had trouble setting my P3 up and totally new to flying (save the Cessna 174 xp i flew many years ago). Didn't know I had to date firmware before I could get going. Thought I had a
defective one. I didn't realize that this forum existed and didn't know about all of the helpful YouTube vids. Got Chat help from China. That was good. But I was pissed at US distributor. Didn't seem to help. Flew into a tree and camera was clean knocked off. Wanted to send in for repair. Emails went unanswered. US Chats were useless and untimely (slow responses resulted in time outs). Phone messages were unanswered. After a twenty minute hold finally got a human who was as helpful as could be. Packed in according to instructions and just got an email stating they received the unit and would stay in touch with me but I could checkmates of repair anytime. If this is any indication it seems to me that DJI is fast figuring out customer service in addition to its unbelievable engineering.

I just placed an order with B&H for another unit; I'm too impatient to wait the 5-6'weeks. Anyone want to buy a refurbished P3 cheap ?

Flew into a tree? Didn't know you had to update the firmware? Looks like you have a ton of reading to do before you fly the P3 when you receive it again.

I not sure of DJI committed to repairing the Phantom for free. If they did, great. They usually offer the sale of a new drone at a slightly reduced cost.

Flew into a tree? Didn't know you had to update the firmware? Looks like you have a ton of reading to do before you fly the P3 when you receive it again.
Yup. I flew into a tree. I guess from what I've been reading, not all that unusual. Nope. Nothing in the QuickStart or DJI's video talked to updating firmware before one could get going. Firmware is discussed in the manual but not in the context of first flight.

Yup. I flew into a tree. I guess from what I've been reading, not all that unusual. Nope. Nothing in the QuickStart or DJI's video talked to updating firmware before one could get going. Firmware is discussed in the manual but not in the context of first flight.

When you start the DJI app it should tell you a new firmware update is available.

Are you using Android or iOS? If iOS, get familiar with the controls by using the built in flight simulator. It helped me a lot when I was new to flying. I still use it to practice! :)

When you start the DJI app it should tell you a new firmware update is available.

Are you using Android or iOS? If iOS, get familiar with the controls by using the built in flight simulator. It helped me a lot when I was new to flying. I still use it to practice! :)
Yes. I need to practice with the simulator.

Funny, though, all the adverts say ready to fly out of the box. **** me for believing that nonsense, eh. Also needing to relearn video editing, etc. with all of the studying, maybe I should enroll at MIT and learn to use a,particle accelerator.

Reactions: jason
Yes. I need to practice with the simulator.

Funny, though, all the adverts say ready to fly out of the box. **** me for believing that nonsense, eh. Also needing to relearn video editing, etc. with all of the studying, maybe I should enroll at MIT and learn to use a,particle accelerator.
Ready To Fly or RTF aircraft models means it is assembled and complete. Firmwares change rapidly as fixes & upgrades are implemented. Something this technological is essential a flying computer/camera. It requires great knowledge of it's operation. Back in the day you actually had to build your own RC's from a kit made up of a zillion parts, or from scratch.

Reactions: dirkclod
I had trouble setting my P3 up and totally new to flying (save the Cessna 174 xp i flew many years ago).

That's strange, I didn't know Cessna made a "174". o_O

.....Funny, though, all the adverts say ready to fly out of the box. ....

Saw a video on YT of a guy being surprised by the gift of an Inspire 1.
They're out away from the house when he's given it, and she wants him to fly it, and he keeps saying he can't because he has to do so many things with it before it's ready to fly, and she keeps saying, that the man in the shop assured her it was ready to fly straight out of the box.
It really should be illegal to say that unless it truly is, and we all know they're not even close to ready to just turn on and fly - well, not unless you want to turn on, fly, and CRASH.

Ready To Fly or RTF aircraft models means it is assembled and complete. Firmwares change rapidly as fixes & upgrades are implemented. Something this technological is essential a flying computer/camera. It requires great knowledge of it's operation. Back in the day you actually had to build your own RC's from a kit made up of a zillion parts, or from scratch.
I guess the hobby language is different than English English.
Lots of sniping going on. I guess it's kind of like a political message board, isn't it?

172xp. Hawk XP. Sorry. I sold the thing in 1995 - 20 years ago. But I still remember the tail numbers perfectly. N6057K. You can look it up on the FAA site.
Manufacturer Name LINDSTRAND BALLOONS Certificate Issue Date 05/21/2001
Model 90A Expiration Date 06/30/2017
Type Aircraft Balloon Type Engine None
Looks like they stole ya # mrburris :D;)

Reactions: IflyinWY
Roswell, GA. Doesn't suck being stupid. If you're stupid enough, you don't realize How much you suck.

Now that's funny - and candid!

Sound like when you get your new Phantom you should take it easy. Practice flying slowly - start out driving it kind of like an airborne car - let it fly slowly away from you, turn gently without stopping (using the yaw control on the left stick - slowly.

Get out somewhere in a great big open area - find a peanut farm! (just kidding) Get somewhere out well away trees, other people, etc. Try slowly flying ovals and figure eights - keep your Phantom out in front of you - do this all slowly.

Then, when you're starting to feel comfortable with that, slowly start learning to fly your Phantom toward you - EVERYTHING GETS BACKWARD!! With the Phantom flying toward you, slowly practice turning (again, with that yaw control). Slowly turn and you'll discover that left is right and right is left - it will slowly come to you.

Did I stress that all this needs to be done slowly?? LOL

While you're waiting for your replacement Phantom spend a lot of time on YouTube - look for the ones about beginners, beginning quad fliers, etc. There are lots of 'em.

Good luck.

Now that's funny - and candid!

Sound like when you get your new Phantom you should take it easy. Practice flying slowly - start out driving it kind of like an airborne car - let it fly slowly away from you, turn gently without stopping (using the yaw control on the left stick - slowly.

Get out somewhere in a great big open area - find a peanut farm! (just kidding) Get somewhere out well away trees, other people, etc. Try slowly flying ovals and figure eights - keep your Phantom out in front of you - do this all slowly.

Then, when you're starting to feel comfortable with that, slowly start learning to fly your Phantom toward you - EVERYTHING GETS BACKWARD!! With the Phantom flying toward you, slowly practice turning (again, with that yaw control). Slowly turn and you'll discover that left is right and right is left - it will slowly come to you.

Did I stress that all this needs to be done slowly?? LOL

While you're waiting for your replacement Phantom spend a lot of time on YouTube - look for the ones about beginners, beginning quad fliers, etc. There are lots of 'em.

Good luck.
Excellent advice and thank you for taking the time to write it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.