Music Selection

Reaction score
Aerial video shots, unless worked into a documentary or something similar where audio from a different scene can be overlaid, will generally require a soundtrack or silence, since the audio from these Phantoms is the obnoxious buzz of the rotors or no track at all. Which, as I begin to get into aerial filming, has me realizing that soundtrack choice is more significant and can set or change the mood of the footage.

So, all you goons out there that have been doing this aerial thing for awhile, school us on how you're choosing your tracks. I've seen some videos recently that the audio track seems to fit the footage like a glove, and others that are just plain obnoxious.

Do you start with your track selection, or review your footage and then start the search for a track that reflects the footage?

My P3 will be arriving soon (I live in Uganda) and I'm the type of person that doesn't really like putting things out there unless they're as good as they can be. I guess I need to start educating myself on color grading, too...

Generally, I love to choose the soundtrack first. I believe all the best editors do. It allows the video to flow with the music (ie: cut at the beats or go black at a certain point). Most of the time, I search for a song that inspires me, then I go into the editing phase with the track laid down first. You will notice your favorite videos all cut sometimes on the beat and flow with the song.

It's a good question. Sound often gets less attention than it should. Music sets the tone for the entire experience. Like Jakob, I wait until I find the right music before I do the final edit. Finding the right music, copyright, etc. are topics topics unto themselves. I am currently looking for something that works for my latest project. It's taking a long time!

I often bring a portable audio recorder with me to the locations I shoot to record "wild sound". Any location will have a natural sound to it. Even if you mix it in at a very low level, you can hear it, the ambient noise will add a feel of its own.

Here's one of mine that has both music and ambient sound mixed together:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Reactions: Fplvert and Glen123
It's a good question. Sound often gets less attention than it should. Music sets the tone for the entire experience. Like Jakob, I wait until I find the right music before I do the final edit. Finding the right music, copyright, etc. are topics topics unto themselves. I am currently looking for something that works for my latest project. It's taking a long time!

I often bring a portable audio recorder with me to the locations I shoot to record "wild sound". Any location will have a natural sound to it. Even if you mix it in at a very low level, you can hear it, the ambient noise will add a feel of its own.

This is Cool.

Aerial video shots, unless worked into a documentary or something similar where audio from a different scene can be overlaid, will generally require a soundtrack or silence, since the audio from these Phantoms is the obnoxious buzz of the rotors or no track at all. Which, as I begin to get into aerial filming, has me realizing that soundtrack choice is more significant and can set or change the mood of the footage.

So, all you goons out there that have been doing this aerial thing for awhile, school us on how you're choosing your tracks. I've seen some videos recently that the audio track seems to fit the footage like a glove, and others that are just plain obnoxious.

Do you start with your track selection, or review your footage and then start the search for a track that reflects the footage?

My P3 will be arriving soon (I live in Uganda) and I'm the type of person that doesn't really like putting things out there unless they're as good as they can be. I guess I need to start educating myself on color grading, too...

I actually do it both ways but I rarely spend much time on editing because I am not so patient any more but I hate the sound of a quad and music covers that up and adds to the video "mood". Sometimes the music is a compilation I created myself such as this one.

Nice video but I would never consider flying over a major metropolitan area like that, but not telling anyone else what to do :)

Nice video but I would never consider flying over a major metropolitan area like that, but not telling anyone else what to do :)

Slightly OT: It can be done safely but there are a lot of additional safety efforts / restrictions that come into play some of which you will see in the description of the video.

I really enjoyed that video. Kudos.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic