MOV or MP4

Reaction score
On a windows platform running Premeire CC, what is better, files captured in MOV or MP4? And are there any quality differences?

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Premeire CC can handle both formats and both are of the same quality. Most Windows users are probably using MP4 format though.

Tom's Tech Time videos say Apple machines are better with .mov and Windows machines run .mp4 better.

For some reason, I can't get my .mov files from the P4 to run on my Windows machine. The video screen turns all green and then it goes into an unrecoverable freeze.

Reactions: scootrkitz
I use MP4 on Mac and they work just fine.

On a windows platform running Premeire CC, what is better, files captured in MOV or MP4? And are there any quality differences?

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app
MP4 is the most compatible with Windows systems in general but you could use either in Premiere.

What you SHOULD do however, if you want to know the truth, if it's an important project and not just you with your friends or something is blow up the MP4 to prores 422 and then edit it (your editor will thank you) and then when you edit it, it will be easier and when you export it, it will still look as good as the original footage as you're gonna have another generation loss when you post it somewhere (assuming you do).

Editors don't really love h264 codec which is what's inside either the MP4 or mov container.

Please understand that no matter which one you choose the 1s and 0s inside of it are literally identical.

Tom's Tech Time videos say Apple machines are better with .mov and Windows machines run .mp4 better.

For some reason, I can't get my .mov files from the P4 to run on my Windows machine. The video screen turns all green and then it goes into an unrecoverable freeze.
In general, this is one of the only true things he says in that video. MP4 is more Windows compatible.

Ftttu, it sounds like you don't have the h264 codec installed in your QuickTime which would make you able to play mov h264s that come out of the bird. If you have installed a professional editor, it should have put that fairly basic codec in QuickTime. If you have installed a professional editor and that didn't happen then either re-install it or just find a h264 QuickTime installer or just keep using MP4. They are again, IDENTICAL in fact.

Reactions: ftttu

For me it's the opposite, I did a video in 4k in mp4, tried to play it back on Vlc media player running Windows 7. It freezes bad and green flashes..I thought the camera was broken. I did another one in 1080p with mov and it worked great, I've always used mov format for Windows? Do I need something else for 4k?

Just watched the video on my ipad from the go app. There is no freezing or green. Does it have to do with mp4 or mov? My first 4k video came out crappy

For me it's the opposite, I did a video in 4k in mp4, tried to play it back on Vlc media player running Windows 7. It freezes bad and green flashes..I thought the camera was broken. I did another one in 1080p with mov and it worked great, I've always used mov format for Windows? Do I need something else for 4k?
Just FYI, your question is to the thread and not to me since I just don't have the knowledge as these other posters.

Also, I tried both .mov and .mp4 on my Windows 10 machine, and i got a green screen of death a second or two after starting the videos. My computer would freeze so I always had to restart it. I downloaded Quick Time, which allowed me to view both formats but i'm not happy with that viewer. At least it didn't lock my computer like the resident viewers did.

Just watched the video on my ipad from the go app. There is no freezing or green. Does it have to do with mp4 or mov? My first 4k video came out crappy

No matter what recording resolution you choose, the video you see on your iPad will always be 720P. That's the only resolution used to transmit the signal from the drone to the controller. The high quality video is recorded on the MicroSD card.

Okay. My computer can play 4k videos on YouTube fine it just takes longer for them to load. I tried QuickTime just for the heck of it. This time my mov video in 1080p was skipping a little and the mp4 video was still freezing with green flashes. I'm using a lenovo think pad laptop. In thinking about using my wife's Sony vision and see if I get different results. It is just strange to me when I had my p3 advanced all of my video could play very smooth in 1080p and 2.7k on it. The p4 is having a different experience. Thanks guys

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20