Mountains, Canyons, etc.

Reaction score
I live in Taos New Mexico where we have mountains and canyons all around us.

I am flying P3P and been at it for about 60 days.

Started using the Litchi app to fly with Waypoints and better manage the camera for great video.

I have a questions about accuracy, when building missions in respect to Altitude.

For example,. If I take off over a river at an Altitude of 85 feet and then drop down to the river below and decide to fly up river at 32 ft. above the river, can I have total trust in the accuracy of the altitude measurement of the P3P?

Or if I fly of the edge of a 800 ft canyon, does the Phantom see the edge just dropped 800 feet in ? If I want a photo and I am flying over the canyon (800 feet deep) do I use a negative # (example -32) to have a shot of the edge?

For example,. If I take off over a river at an Altitude of 85 feet and then drop down to the river below and decide to fly up river at 32 ft. above the river, can I have total trust in the accuracy of the altitude measurement of the P3P?

As long as when you say "up river" you don't mean a rather steep incline. Of importance if you are flying low altitude along a river - be sure you have turned off the VPS (sensors) they act up when flying low over water - especially moving water and could cause a crash.

Or if I fly of the edge of a 800 ft canyon, does the Phantom see the edge just dropped 800 feet in ? If I want a photo and I am flying over the canyon (800 feet deep) do I use a negative # (example -32) to have a shot of the edge?

As far as I know the Phantom relates back to your "home point" where you took off from as to determining what altitude you are flying at. Meaning when you take off from the edge of the cliff - it will work in a negative direction as to height. At least that's my understanding of it. - sounds like a great spot to fly n film - be sure to post your video when done - safe flying n filming!

I have a questions about accuracy, when building missions in respect to Altitude.If I take off over a river at an Altitude of 85 feet and then drop down to the river below and decide to fly up river at 32 ft. above the river, can I have total trust in the accuracy of the altitude measurement of the P3P?
Not necessarily.
The accuracy of the barometer can vary with heat/cold etc and calibration.
Check yours over several flights and compare altitude at the start and end of the flight to get an idea of how much this may be a factor.
Your Phantom is just like a Cessna and won't have any idea that the ground has dropped away.
Unless Litchi has changed things since I last tried that, you won't be able to program negative altitude waypoints in the app.
But check the mission hub feature, perhaps you can in there?

Reactions: eaglegoaltender
I know this has been mentioned in other threads and is not a new technique, but if you are in doubt, actually fly and get measurements regarding the flight path you want to take.

Set up and take off from the exact location that you plan to take off from when your ready to fly the mission, (which will always be your homepoint "0" altitude and will also be "0" in your litchi mission) then fly down into the canyon or to any objects that would cause you to need to change your elevation and note these elevations so that you can apply them to litchi. I would allow a little extra for inaccuracies.

So you have to use an extra battery to be accurate... worth it to me if your unsure.

Good luck and happy flying!!!

Ok I just seen the date on the last post.. but still could help someone. So I'll not delete.... this time.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20