Mould on Phantom 3 camera

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have a Phantom 3 Pro which I have been using for about a year. I'm based in Hong Kong which is very humid most of the time and the photographers among us will know that camera lenses can get mouldy which eats away the chemical coating on the camera lens and can severely affect picture quality. I usually keep my camera lenses in a humidity controlled storage case which keeps them in good condition but I can't really do that with my Phantom considering it's size.

I have recently seen signs of mould on the lens of my Phantom and was wondering if anyone who lives in more humid areas have the same issue and if there are any solutions? Please see photos below, I have tried to show the mould but it's very hard to focus on. It sort of looks like little spider webs on the lens.

2uggoqe.jpg

b47of5.jpg

Have you unscrewed the filter to check whether the mould is actually on the lens element, or on the inside of the filter?

Have you unscrewed the filter to check whether the mould is actually on the lens element, or on the inside of the filter?
It's just on the inside of the filter for now and I've cleaned the lens with some medical alcohol to delay the inevitable but I'd like to find a preventive method before summer and the humidity comes again.

If you were going to leave that filter on (i.e. Never change it with an ND) you could just pick a really dry day and capture that dry air by taking off and putting the filter back on. Very little, if any moisture would get past the threads. More likely, though that you may be changing filters routinely this summer. Ideally, you would leave the filter off while the bird is in storage and wrap a small plastic bag with one of those silica drying pouches in it around the camera while its in storage. Doing that even with the filter loosely attached (do like to have some mechanical protection for the lens) would also help keep moisture off things and prevent mold growth. Just remember to heat up the pouch every now and then to recharge it.

Also, Inspect the filter very closely after you clean it. Mold needs moisture to grow, but it also need something to eat - that was probably the coating on the inside of your filter.

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jesmith1016